KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Hank Pym? Writable

Hank Pym? Writable
Started by: HueyFreeman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Hank Pym? Writable

I checked and couldnt find a thread on this. I enjoyed Slotts take on pym in Mighty Avengers (except Pym calling himself the wasp) and like the relationship with Tigra in Avengers Academy. I want to know your thoughts on if Pym can be written without constant references to the abuse incident? I can't help but dread that the moment Janet comes back hes going to chase after her and end up with writers playing off the situation again and again.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 04:39 PM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Of course he can be written well without hanging on to the Janet incident. Nobody seems to remember the times Reed has slapped Sue or other heroes, whether under duress, mental illness, or mind control, hit their significant other. Pym just has haters, both in the form of readers and writers.

Slott and Gage have both written Pym as the guy he should be.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 05:01 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Pretty much what Jake said. The character can and has been written well over the years... People just need to not let twats like Bendis near him.

2 years of deveelopment down the drain cos of that ****.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 06:04 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Pym has been decent for a few years now, I hope they make him a bit more crazy in the years to come, because his craziness is awesome.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 06:23 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Of course he can be written well without hanging on to the Janet incident. Nobody seems to remember the times Reed has slapped Sue or other heroes, whether under duress, mental illness, or mind control, hit their significant other. Pym just has haters, both in the form of readers and writers.

Slott and Gage have both written Pym as the guy he should be.
That just annoys me. Hes one of the rare characters where its generally ok to call him a wife beater yet many of the murderers are accepted because they are trying to redeem themself lol.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 07:08 PM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I've enjoyed Pym threw out the years especially in his YellowJacket persona..

he be written well, but it depends on the writer

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 08:18 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I do like Pym's eccentric style of science, but I do hope he doesn't revert to batshit insane or anything. He's moved on from Janet's death and their troubled relationship. He's accepted his role in Ultron's creation. He's moved on from his feelings of insignificance to the other founding Avengers and is a capable leader on his own. Pym is awesome, no doubt about it. Though, personally, I would have wished he stayed as the Wasp as he used more cool gadgets and the costume was awesome.

I think my favorite moment in recent history was Karnak examining Pym and noting how while he still had plenty of weaknesses, his mental ones were significantly reduced than last time. I also lol'd when Hazmat claimed Pym was the craziest Avenger and he corrected her by stating Sentry was in a humorous fashion.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 08:33 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I do like Pym's eccentric style of science, but I do hope he doesn't revert to batshit insane or anything. He's moved on from Janet's death and their troubled relationship. He's accepted his role in Ultron's creation. He's moved on from his feelings of insignificance to the other founding Avengers and is a capable leader on his own. Pym is awesome, no doubt about it. Though, personally, I would have wished he stayed as the Wasp as he used more cool gadgets and the costume was awesome.

I think my favorite moment in recent history was Karnak examining Pym and noting how while he still had plenty of weaknesses, his mental ones were significantly reduced than last time. I also lol'd when Hazmat claimed Pym was the craziest Avenger and he corrected her by stating Sentry was in a humorous fashion.
I also liked the wasp costume and powers pym had but it seemed a little creepy that he took her name considering what the other heroes think of him .

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 08:51 PM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

It made perfect sense, though.

All these years, Pym was trying to find his own identity, but then decides to honor Janet by taking her codename. Of course to his peers, it makes him look crazier, but that's the thing; Pym is looked down upon in-universe as a second rate scientist as opposed to Reed and Tony and an unhinged one at that. Pym's come back was just as much for readers as it was for the characters themselves to understand just how far Pym came.

If he starts using more gadgets as Giant-Man, though, I'll be happy. His Toolbot thing was rad.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 08:56 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Man, I just realized Pym is the Aquaman of the Avengers no expression

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 08:57 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Originally posted by Bentley

Nah you're just the Seaman of the forum. big grin

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 09:23 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

smh! I gots ta shutup.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 09:53 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Don't worry about it Ninjak smile

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 10:02 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by HueyFreeman
That just annoys me. Hes one of the rare characters where its generally ok to call him a wife beater yet many of the murderers are accepted because they are trying to redeem themself lol.
I bet Magneto's threw a few cars through women's faces.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 10:39 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

You act like that's a bad thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 01:19 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Don't even go there.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 04:16 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by -Pr-
You act like that's a bad thing.

Not so much as a bad thing as me being genuinely surprised to never have realized it before.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 06:52 AM
basilisk

Lots of crimes happen in anthills.

I don't think Pym will ever get past the wife beater thing. They try to retcon it away and somehow the reality can't stick and it just warps back somehow. They make him an evil skrull and even the skrull suffers guilt and doesn't want to be him. Writers will keep bringing it back because think they have nothing better to define him with and they are basically lazy. Although at least guys like Slott actually tried.

And as long as Ultron keeps coming back and killing entire nations of people, someone is going to turn around and say "Pym, I always thought of you as just that crazy wife-beater guy, but you also created that guy too didn't you?" And Ultron will keep coming back and will keep killing - how could anyone not feel guilt over causing that?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 02:58 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Well, Busiek did retcon Ultron so its mind was based in Pym's brainwaves, so it's even a bit worse that just having created Ultron in the past. He actually is Ultron in some twisted way.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 03:03 PM