KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Invulnerability versus Strength

Invulnerability versus Strength
Started by: bluewaterrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

Invulnerability versus Strength

Lot of people seem to equate durability with physical strength.

You can have the qualities of durability and physical strength co-existing with each other. In most instances, however, they're really not the same. We'll explore the distinction here.

Attachment: 10 ultra boy, supergirl, the offpanel legion, and a hard punching robot.jpg
This has been downloaded 136 time(s).

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 08:28 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

I'll periodically supply reference information for my entries and experiment with various size and format presentations.

This is a scene from Mark Waid's Legion of Super-Heroes, fifth volume, for instance, where Ultra Boy tries to impress one time-stranded Kara Zor-el, and fails miserably ...

Attachment: 15 ultra boy, supergirl, the offpanel legion, and a hard punching robot.jpg
This has been downloaded 117 time(s).

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 08:34 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Mini-end scene. Note that using his power to make himself strong did NOT protect Ultra Boy from being ROCKED by his opposition, as Kara pointed out in the previous panel.

Attachment: 20 ultraboy supergirl saturn girl and a really big robot falling on top of smaller ones.jpg
This has been downloaded 108 time(s).

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 08:39 PM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Ultra-Boy is specifically a bad example to use as he can either only be super strong or invulnerable.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 08:42 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Ultra-Boy is specifically a bad example to use as he can either only be super strong or invulnerable.

This is an entire thread dedicated to the question, Jake.
You can be certain he won't be the only example.

I disagree that Ultra Boy would be a bad example, by the way.
Extreme examples tend to be the clearest examples, not moderate ones that feature a mix of the 2 qualities being examined.

Ultra Boy's case makes the distinction about as clear as can be.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 08:52 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Lot of people seem to equate durability with physical strength.

You can have the qualities of durability and physical strength co-existing with each other. In most instances, however, they're really not the same.
I think what most people say is that, in order to "realistically" have/use extreme physical strength, the character's body needs to be strong enough to tolerate the tensile, compressive and other stresses imposed by deployment of that strength. Eg, you might be strong enough to military-press a building, but if your body isn't up to par, your bones will snap, ligaments will tear, and the skin (of your palms) will be crushed. (Frankly, the "one power at a time" thing noted in the scans strikes me as gimmicky.)

On the other hand, while I don't think you can have (or shouldn't, anyway) extreme strength wthout extreme durability, offhand I don't see why you couldn't have the durability w/o the strength.

Regardless, this brings up something I've wondered about : given a certain level of strength, what would be an appropriate level of durability? For example, if you can press a mountain, should you be able to withstand a nuke? Or from the other direction: if you're bulletproof, what level of strength would be proportionate?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 08:52 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Kara versus Titanic. Image 1. Gravimetric tractor beam toss.

Attachment: 10 kara versus titanic. superman family 193.jpg
This has been downloaded 108 time(s).

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 09:10 PM
bluewaterrider

In answer to your question, Mindship, I think the following level of durability would suffice for most any modern character.

The fact that our young heroine here regards feeling pain from so many tons of steel slamming into her side as an indicator that something is WRONG with her ...

Kara versus Titanic. Image 2. Impact. Gravitygun ammo...

Attachment: 20 kara versus titanic. superman family 193.jpg
This has been downloaded 107 time(s).

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 09:16 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Sort of confused as to why we're exploring the distinction. Just curious...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 09:26 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by -Pr-
Sort of confused as to why we're exploring the distinction. Just curious...
Curious too.

Eg, Superman can benchpress the Earth for 5 days straight with barely no sweat, not stopping to recharge. What should we expect his durability to be? What would be disappointing?

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 09:34 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Well Superman has always been stronger than durable, but still; if he can't handle planetary impacts, that would be a bad thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 09:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

If you don't have some kind of super durability wouldn't you rip your body apart when trying to perform a super strength feat like lifting a building?

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 09:59 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It really should.

There are characters that are more durable than they are strong (Colossus, Aquaman), and then characters who are the other way around (Superman, Hulk).

It varies.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 10:11 PM
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by -Pr-
Well Superman has always been stronger than durable, but still; if he can't handle planetary impacts, that would be a bad thing.

Actually, the reverse seems to be the case for Superman; he's tougher than he is strong to judge from everything I've seen to date.
Same seems to be generally true of other Kryptonians.

Maybe you've seen something different; I'll be interested to see what you present.

I agree with you on Hulk, though.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 10:19 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Actually, the reverse seems to be the case for Superman; he's tougher than he is strong to judge from everything I've seen to date.
Same seems to be generally true of other Kryptonians.

Maybe you've seen something different; I'll be interested to see what you present.

I agree with you on Hulk, though.

Superman is very, very durable. I wouldn't argue that. But his strength feats like the infinite book, pushing warworld, the five earth press and such, say to me that he's stronger than he is durable.

If you want to argue that he's more durable, that's fine; he is insanely durable.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 10:23 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

@using ultra boy.

Last edited by abhilegend on Nov 14th, 2012 at 01:08 AM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2012 01:04 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slaanesh
The forces of Chaos

if u have super strength..u gonna be super durable too..it's a package..

Old Post Nov 14th, 2012 04:04 AM
Slaanesh is currently offline Click here to Send Slaanesh a Private Message Find more posts by Slaanesh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Slaanesh
if u have super strength..u gonna be super durable too..it's a package..
The reverse is also going to be true

If your muscles and tendons are as hard as steel you'll be able to exert more force.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Nov 14th, 2012 12:38 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Newjak
The reverse is also going to be true

If your muscles and tendons are as hard as steel you'll be able to exert more force.
Okay, I'm going to be a nit-picker...

Tendons don't contract, so they don't exert any mobile force. And what makes muscles contract -- specifically, what makes muscular contraction stronger -- is 1) the number of contractile filaments in the muscle fibers, and 2) the strength of the neural signal, ie, how deeply it reaches into the muscle (and consequently how many filaments it activates).

On the other hand, many characters have been described as having extremely dense tissue, which one could translate as having a helluva lot of contractile filaments in a muscle of given size. Also, generally, the more dense something is, the harder it is to damage.

But comicological physics, being what they are, I can see extreme durability present w/o extreme strength, maybe because, eg, the molecular bonds of all body tissues are stronger (though again, these molecular bonds are not what causes muscles to contract).

Like I said, nit-picky. smile

Old Post Nov 14th, 2012 03:08 PM
bluewaterrider

Kara versus Kara. The Saga of Satangirl.

Image 1 of 3.

Attachment: 10 satangirl instruction 150.jpg
This has been downloaded 69 time(s).

Old Post Nov 15th, 2012 02:29 PM