KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » A new age of comic books?

A new age of comic books?
Started by: Endless Mike

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

A new age of comic books?

We all know about the Golden Age from the late 30s to the mid 50s, the Silver age that lasted until the 70s, the Bronze Age that lasted until the mid 80s, but everything after that has just been referred to as the "modern age" (or the "dark age" for a while in the 90s).

Do you think, with such events as the DC reboot, we are entering a new "age"? Or did the new age already start several years ago?

And if we are, what do we call it?

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jan 31st, 2013 10:09 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I think the sole purpose of DC's "New 52", and Marvel's "NOW" was to usher in a new age of comics.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 04:33 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Do you think they succeeded or not?

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 06:42 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Endless Mike
They may have a little but I would actually dub this the multi-media age cause TV and movies have done more to continue the comic book industry than anything else they've done imo.

What do you guys think?

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 01:43 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yes.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 04:04 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

I can only speak for Marvel's Marvel Now books representing a new age.

And personally both the X-men and Avengers titles are upholding their ambitions. The X-men titles....especially Wolverine and the X-men is holding on to the ideals of the original X-men series whilst pushing the saga ahead into the modern era.

Avengers on the other hand is separating their holy trinity into separate ideas.-

-Thor: Is keeping his mythological storytelling within the cosmic awareness of the universe.
-Cap: Is keeping his protection of Earth in check. As well as his future realized current storyline where he is struggling to raise a child in the future.
-Stark: Has recently contained the Extremis virus and is now ready to venture forth into space. Which is a step that I always perceived Tony flying into the next step of his evolution.

Personally I'm quite pleased with Marvel Now.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 06:31 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I still think it's about the same.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 09:48 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

While the Avengers are doing well in this new "post Bendis" age, X-Men are doing pretty bad, at least where Bendis is concerned. If this is a new age, I can't think of a word harsh enough to describe it.

DC's new age has been somewhat successful for the most part. The difficult thing is going to be keeping the momentum they'd built up.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 09:52 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Re: A new age of comic books?

We all know about the Golden Age from the late 30s to the mid 50s, the Silver age that lasted until the 70s, the Bronze Age that lasted until the mid 80s, but everything after that has just been referred to as the "modern age" (or the "dark age" for a while in the 90s).

Do you think, with such events as the DC reboot, we are entering a new "age"? Or did the new age already start several years ago?

And if we are, what do we call it?

We've kinda had a few short-lived mini ages.

The 90s is often considered a 'dark age' of comics, but the late 90s/early 00s is very much a time of reconstruction, taking stuff from past eras and updating it. Then the late 00s has shifted again, with a return to a lot of the grittier/darker 90s ton, and often the removal of the more experimental 90s/00s stuff in preference to darker versions of the silver age versions.

Also, for quite awhile what's happened in Marvel and DC has closely paralleled each other, but in the last few years, they've had a divergence in philosophy. Marvel has had a steady stream of events in that tie into each other, using story/continuity and planning. DC, on the other hand, has obviously gone for more the reboot route, restarting the universe from scratch, and changes in story and direction can happen fairly suddenly, very different than the visible progression at Marvel and it's emphasis on both buildup and dealing with fallout.

Originally posted by -Pr-
While the Avengers are doing well in this new "post Bendis" age, X-Men are doing pretty bad, at least where Bendis is concerned. If this is a new age, I can't think of a word harsh enough to describe it.

DC's new age has been somewhat successful for the most part. The difficult thing is going to be keeping the momentum they'd built up.

Sales wise, that remains to be seen.

DC's reboot... only got a small boost compared to pre.

Fan reception wise, I see more positive buzz about Marvel Now than 52, but it's not really too fair to compare a year and a half vs 2 months.

Last edited by Q99 on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 12:00 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by -Pr-
While the Avengers are doing well in this new "post Bendis" age, X-Men are doing pretty bad, at least where Bendis is concerned.

Originally posted by -K-M-
Bendis, uh... finds a way.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 04:00 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Re: Re: A new age of comic books?

Originally posted by Q99

The 90s is often considered a 'dark age' of comics, but the late 90s/early 00s is very much a time of reconstruction, taking stuff from past eras and updating it. Then the late 00s has shifted again, with a return to a lot of the grittier/darker 90s ton, and often the removal of the more experimental 90s/00s stuff in preference to darker versions of the silver age versions.

Also, for quite awhile what's happened in Marvel and DC has closely paralleled each other, but in the last few years, they've had a divergence in philosophy. Marvel has had a steady stream of events in that tie into each other, using story/continuity and planning. DC, on the other hand, has obviously gone for more the reboot route, restarting the universe from scratch, and changes in story and direction can happen fairly suddenly, very different than the visible progression at Marvel and it's emphasis on both buildup and dealing with fallout.

Fan reception wise, I see more positive buzz about Marvel Now than 52, but it's not really too fair to compare a year and a half vs 2 months.

Comparing the numbers from previous years, DC had a considerable boost. Same with Marvel, seeing as they were going down.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 08:14 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Re: Re: Re: A new age of comic books?

Originally posted by Golgo13
Comparing the numbers from previous years, DC had a considerable boost. Same with Marvel, seeing as they were going down.

The line-wide events did help both of them. It's definite short-term good moves, and good moves for the industry, long term it remains to be seen. DC's still got major weaknesses outside their main books, they can boost sales of the major ones pretty well, but they have trouble promoting the minor and mid tier ones.

I like Marvel's move a lot better because it's a much more repeatable move, and seems a better way to gain new people while holding on to more of the old, so I suspect long term it'll pan out better.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 10:35 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Someone already posted the sales compared to the first issues of the DCnU and so far, DC is holding onto the sales a bit better. Uncanny Avengers for example is already pushed out of the top 10.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 10:36 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Q99

I wasn't talking so much sales wise, but yeah.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 10:59 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Someone already posted the sales compared to the first issues of the DCnU and so far, DC is holding onto the sales a bit better. Uncanny Avengers for example is already pushed out of the top 10.

We have precisely two months of sales and Marvel Now started higher, and has major books that have not yet started, it is a *bit* soon to draw conclusions smile

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 11:30 PM
Senor Cage

I'm not drawing conclusions, but looking at the numbers of drop offs. The #1 issues were inflated becuase of alternate covers.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 01:08 AM
Q99

I'm not drawing conclusions, but looking at the numbers of drop offs. The #1 issues were inflated becuase of alternate covers.

Yea, there was some inflation there. Still, the inflation effect should go away quickly.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 04:55 PM
Cogito

Originally posted by Galan007
I think the sole purpose of DC's "New 52", and Marvel's "NOW" was to usher in a new age of comics.

Interestingly, it's always been considered DC that has ushered in the new ages.

Now, if in ten or twenty years when this new age has a fancy name or whatever, it's sure as shit not going to be defined by "NOW".

The interesting debate will be whether it was started by the New 52 or the sudden prominence of super hero movies.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 05:26 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Cogito
Interestingly, it's always been considered DC that has ushered in the new ages.

Mind you, while they often get a starting point*, it's generally just because their points are somewhat sooner, and Marvel's are often more influential**.

*The first appearance of Barry Allen

** The creation of the Fantastic Four [first series with more 'imperfect' heroes who argued among themselves], Spider-man [Spider-man], and the Hulk [having a 'hero' often fight the army, and not desire to be a hero? Nothing like it before] really revolutionized comics.

And/or in some cases, the changes were happening at the same time in both.

DC lead the Golden Age, Marvel the Silver, both jumped into the Bronze and Modern at around the same time as there was more back-and-forth with the writers.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 08:13 PM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Q99
Mind you, while they often get a starting point*, it's generally just because their points are somewhat sooner, and Marvel's are often more influential**.

*The first appearance of Barry Allen

** The creation of the Fantastic Four [first series with more 'imperfect' heroes who argued among themselves], Spider-man [Spider-man], and the Hulk [having a 'hero' often fight the army, and not desire to be a hero? Nothing like it before] really revolutionized comics.

And/or in some cases, the changes were happening at the same time in both.

DC lead the Golden Age, Marvel the Silver, both jumped into the Bronze and Modern at around the same time as there was more back-and-forth with the writers.

I would say more mainstream. Fantastic Four was based a little bit off of Challengers of the Unknown. The Hulk isn't a new concept, either. Some of the things Marvel made homage to like Imperial Guard, Dr. Strange, X-Men, FF, etc... Had DC come first. Then Marvel made it into something bigger (like X-Men or FF).

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 08:24 PM