KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Best Comic Book Writer of All Time

Who is the best?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Alan Moore 1 4.76%
Grant Morrison 6 28.57%
Frank Miller 0 0%
Neil Gaiman 4 19.05%
Garth Ennis 0 0%
Warren Ellis 2 9.52%
Chris Claremont 1 4.76%
Ed Brubaker 0 0%
Brian Michael Bendis 2 9.52%
Other 5 23.81%
Total: 21 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Best Comic Book Writer of All Time
Started by: Ben "cA" Risa

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Question Best Comic Book Writer of All Time

Who in your opinion is the best of all time?

Ever17: The Out of Infinity

17 years of gratitude to Scythe for the as ever excellent signature and avatar!

Old Post May 7th, 2013 01:36 AM
Ben "cA" Risa is currently offline Click here to Send Ben "cA" Risa a Private Message Find more posts by Ben "cA" Risa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Stan Lee.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 7th, 2013 03:28 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

/thread

Old Post May 7th, 2013 03:38 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Matt Fraction

Old Post May 7th, 2013 03:47 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Remember, it's best, not greatest. Stan Lee was great in a time before comics had become a literary medium.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 03:50 AM
Ben "cA" Risa is currently offline Click here to Send Ben "cA" Risa a Private Message Find more posts by Ben "cA" Risa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Who else voted for Grant Morrison? big grin

Old Post May 7th, 2013 03:53 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

If you want to talk about dialogue, scientific accuracy and the like, sure, you could use plenty of other writers.

If you asked me, though, what writer i'd like to sit down with and ask tons of questions, it's Stan Lee. Not just because he created my favourite character (he did), but he was the gamechanger.

I actually want to be a comic book writer one day, and my absolute number one rule when I sit down to write a script is: These are people first, and heroes/villains second. Stan Lee is the reason for that.

His imagination when coming up with new characters, not to mention twisting timeless themes in to longevity, makes him, imo, the best comic book writer.

He is to writers what Superman is to superheroes, to me.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 7th, 2013 03:56 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Gaiman is certainly up there.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 7th, 2013 03:57 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Grant Morrison.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:28 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Matt Fraction

lol

Admittedly, his Iron Man stuff was great and I even like his F4/FF stuff, but his Thor run was whack.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:36 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by -Pr-
If you want to talk about dialogue, scientific accuracy and the like, sure, you could use plenty of other writers.

If you asked me, though, what writer i'd like to sit down with and ask tons of questions, it's Stan Lee. Not just because he created my favourite character (he did), but he was the gamechanger.

I actually want to be a comic book writer one day, and my absolute number one rule when I sit down to write a script is: These are people first, and heroes/villains second. Stan Lee is the reason for that.

His imagination when coming up with new characters, not to mention twisting timeless themes in to longevity, makes him, imo, the best comic book writer.

He is to writers what Superman is to superheroes, to me.

This.

Stan Lee blew up the genre and added pathos and humanization to it more so than the others who came before him. He was more interested about the people behind the masks and costumes and made them infinitely more relatable than they had been before. If you were to remove any of the other above names from the genre, you'd be missing out on some great works of art. But if you removed Stan Lee, the entire genre would be radically different to the point where it wouldn't even be recognizable.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:38 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

thumb up

Yup.

Also, Fraction's X-Men run was absolute shite.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:43 AM
manorastroman

c'mon, don't be so static. compare comics to any other medium. do you think that alexander pope is the best writer of all time? do you believe that the marx brothers are the best comedians of all time? that elvis is the best rock n roller of all time? that orson welles is the best filmmaker of all time?

all brilliant, all trailblazers, all since surpassed. stan lee is not the best comic book writer of all time.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 06:59 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Maybe not, but a lot of his stuff was really good.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post May 7th, 2013 10:41 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by manorastroman
c'mon, don't be so static. compare comics to any other medium. do you think that alexander pope is the best writer of all time? do you believe that the marx brothers are the best comedians of all time? that elvis is the best rock n roller of all time? that orson welles is the best filmmaker of all time?

all brilliant, all trailblazers, all since surpassed. stan lee is not the best comic book writer of all time.

It's personal preference, that's all.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 7th, 2013 11:03 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Lots of confusion. Need to set what you mean by best...

Best for their era?
Best from a subjective, personal standpoint?
Best in terms of influence and affect on the industry?

There are likely more ways to define it. Those are a few obvious ones. Stan likely takes the last, and handily. The others, especially the second, will vary person to person. Mine would be Ellis.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 01:42 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

From what I understand, Stan Lee's actual contributions to developing early Marvel characters and storylines, while very important, have been overstated, and much more credit than is usually given is owed to Jack Kirby, who was his partner while they created the Marvel Universe.

I even heard once (this is probably apocryphal) that Jack Kirby created the characters, the designs, and the actual storylines, while Stan Lee was just the guy who came up with the basic plots and the filled the dialogue balloons.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 02:23 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

For me its Morrison, but it's almost impossible to choose just one.

I loved Simonsen's X-Factor and Thor.

Mike Carey has Unwritten and Lucifer.

Ellis has Planetary and Transmetropolitan.

Jeff Lemire is no doubt my favourite up-and-coming writer. Both Animal Man and Sweet-Tooth blew my **** off.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 02:24 PM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
Lots of confusion. Need to set what you mean by best...

Best for their era?
Best from a subjective, personal standpoint?
Best in terms of influence and affect on the industry?

There are likely more ways to define it. Those are a few obvious ones. Stan likely takes the last, and handily. The others, especially the second, will vary person to person. Mine would be Ellis.

Best based on proficiency in writing/storytelling assessed by today's standards.

I was under the impression this was usually assumed when not listing criteria and saying "best of all time" and it seems everyone else understood that clearly enough.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 03:16 PM
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by curryman
Jeff Lemire is no doubt my favourite up-and-coming writer. Both Animal Man and Sweet-Tooth blew my **** off.

Jeff Lemire's great but I've found him to be a bit more hit or miss then someone like say, Scott Snyder. Animal Man has been unbelievable as has been his creator owned stuff, and most of his other DC stuff been great but his work on Frankenstein was just plain bad imo.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 03:20 PM