KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » wasted potential and missed chances

wasted potential and missed chances
Started by: SevenShackles

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

wasted potential and missed chances

Doing this from my phone so forgive any writing and spelling errors on my part.

Was curious as to others ideas and opinions on unfullfilled and unexsplored story lines and characters. For example when a story leaves off open ended and then nothing comes from it or hints to further involvement with bigger possibilities for upcoming events but gets totally ignored taking away potwntial depth from the story.
as in son of vulcan it leaves off with the protagonist at titans tower.. His whole background revolved around white martians and even introduced white martian hybrids. Heck there was a white martian in hiding (miss martian) on the team at the time that could of lead to many story avenues. Instead he got tossed on cyborgs doomed titans team that got picked apart and killed in one issue. Son of vulcan was in a coma but stil a waste.

Sooo what about u guys?

GAMMA GIDEON

Respect: -Dynamo 5 -Greed -Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy

Old Post May 17th, 2013 10:13 PM
SevenShackles is currently offline Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I still wish Marvel would have expanded on The Collective more. The guy literally had infinite potential, and he only appeared in, what? 3 issues?

thumb down

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 18th, 2013 12:47 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
I still wish Marvel would have expanded on The Collective more. The guy literally had infinite potential, and he only appeared in, what? 3 issues?

thumb down

that sounds familiar were they those glowing blue guys? Had situations with the x-men and magnetos brotherhood and stuff to do with erased memories and maybe somerhing to do with high evolutionary or someone

GAMMA GIDEON

Old Post May 18th, 2013 01:04 AM
SevenShackles is currently offline Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Sentry.

Old Post May 18th, 2013 02:09 AM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by SevenShackles
that sounds familiar were they those glowing blue guys? Had situations with the x-men and magnetos brotherhood and stuff to do with erased memories and maybe somerhing to do with high evolutionary or someone
I'm talking about this guy:
http://www.comicvine.com/the-collective/4005-42938/

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 18th, 2013 02:45 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

Sentry for wasted potential that's for sure

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post May 18th, 2013 03:09 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

Lord havok and the extremist during that mim were cool. They blanked out before monarch got torn open by SMP, teleporting into another universe.
They could easily worked into DCnU in a JL or stormwatch or both at some point

GAMMA GIDEON

Old Post May 18th, 2013 04:02 AM
the Darkone

Tyrant has great potential

Old Post May 18th, 2013 09:21 PM
the Darkone is currently offline Click here to Send the Darkone a Private Message Find more posts by the Darkone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Darkness.
He has the power of half of creation and all he does is creates goblin like creatures and tentacles.....

Bankai.

Old Post May 18th, 2013 09:37 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

Originally posted by Estacado
Darkness.
He has the power of half of creation and all he does is creates goblin like creatures and tentacles.....

I never thought of that you r right! I do remember him turnig into some beast in a storyline with both witchblade and magdelon(sp?)

GAMMA GIDEON

Old Post May 19th, 2013 03:48 PM
Estacado
Legendary

Originally posted by SevenShackles
I never thought of that you r right! I do remember him turnig into some beast in a storyline with both witchblade and magdelon(sp?)

Yeah he shapeshifted into a dragon in the First Born mini....he did some cool stuff.....but lately he did nothing impressive...on avarage all he does is create darklings.....it has been stated numerous times that Darkness is the most powerful weapon on Earth and Jackie doesnt really use his potentional...........in a book it was said that the Darkness unchecked could swallow all of reality.....

Bankai.

Old Post May 19th, 2013 03:58 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Estacado
Yeah he shapeshifted into a dragon in the First Born mini....he did some cool stuff.....but lately he did nothing impressive...on avarage all he does is create darklings.....it has been stated numerous times that Darkness is the most powerful weapon on Earth and Jackie doesnt really use his potentional...........in a book it was said that the Darkness unchecked could swallow all of reality.....

Sounds like standard comic hyperbole. Has he done anything at all to suggest he should be hitting such levels? I tend to think wasted potential refers more to character. Power levels need to be given a limit or narrative problems develop.

Old Post May 19th, 2013 04:27 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

A lot of stuff with Ares comes to mind after his Marvel Mini.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post May 19th, 2013 04:29 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Originally posted by Digi
Sounds like standard comic hyperbole. Has he done anything at all to suggest he should be hitting such levels? I tend to think wasted potential refers more to character. Power levels need to be given a limit or narrative problems develop.

Another Darkness user was moving planets with his powers......
It's not hyperbole the Darkness is half of creation in Top Cow.......

ATM there is a slight chance that after re-booting the Universe....the Darkness formed it to it's will but we have to find out yet...

Bankai.

Last edited by Estacado on May 19th, 2013 at 04:36 PM

Old Post May 19th, 2013 04:30 PM
Bentley
Seitei

The only potential Sentry had was shown in the Ages of Sentry mini.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post May 19th, 2013 09:08 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

Originally posted by Bentley
The only potential Sentry had was shown in the Ages of Sentry mini.

If they dialed the void back as far as plot devices go and used it in a more plot driven way it could of been awesome. Siege just took a shit on any plot they managed to build and threw void at Asgard literally.

If they had him being all superman-ish with his one personality and seemingly under control and despite that dudes like ironman and cap keeping an eye on him trying to take it easy with him much to his annoyance Only for him in his own series to actually be having issues with the void but not to many instances where it's totally out of his control. Just stuff like that 'heal someone and the void will give someone else cancer' type stuff.
Sentry isnt much of a character without void with not much of a personality either way. Never seemed to develop much outside his own titles.

GAMMA GIDEON

Old Post May 19th, 2013 11:22 PM
curryman

Originally posted by Newjak
A lot of stuff with Ares comes to mind after his Marvel Mini.

The Hood, Ares, Marvel-Boy, Sentry and any other character Bendis got his hands on smile

Old Post May 20th, 2013 12:32 AM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

The end of the pre-reboot era. Mainly, the suddenness of it. You have a chance to give actual epilogues to many character's stories, and yet it was done so suddenly that only a few had anything like a satisfying stopping point.

Old Post May 24th, 2013 05:17 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by Digi

Wasn't the Darkness the same entity which was eventually revealed to be the Great Evil Beast?

If it was, then this current host is indeed a fail user of such power. IIRC, Superman also managed to beat him, didn't he?

Old Post May 24th, 2013 10:56 AM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Originally posted by Q99
The end of the pre-reboot era. Mainly, the suddenness of it. You have a chance to give actual epilogues to many character's stories, and yet it was done so suddenly that only a few had anything like a satisfying stopping point.

I agree with this, seeing as it's almost COIE in scale, you'd think they'd have given the DCU a proper send off, like COIE did with pre crisis.

But no, we got a dark and gritty alternate universe and Barry changing history.

Similarly, the end of Hellblazer was sudden and pretty disappointing. It was clearly just the planned end of Mulligans run with a few pages thrown in to finish John's story, which it failed to do so in any satisfying way. There could of been a chance to write a proper finish for Vertigo Constantine, and it was completely wasted.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post May 24th, 2013 12:45 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote