KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Stop killing characters!

Stop killing characters!
Started by: redhotrash

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
redhotrash

Stop killing characters!

This is driving me nuts. Few things irk me more than seeing a character I've enjoyed for 15+ years killed at the whim of some fly-by-night writer trying to move a few issues or push whatever crappy event they have going now. It feels cheap, rushed, and generally puts their backs against the wall when they fail to develop a new character people care about to take their place and end up having to revive the deceased later. Worst of all it generally happens with little fanfare and does nothing to truly promote whatever pet project they are pushing that week. Eddie Brock commits suicide on a off panel. Sabretooth gets decapitate in the snow. Thanos has his heart ripped out. Absorbing Man and Carnage are crushed in space. Mr Sinister gets overpowered by Mystique. Punisher gets sliced into a dozen pieces. Now they feed Taskmaster to Rulk as a afterthought. Hasn't the Hulk family ruined enough characters since WWH? So they break their "dead means dead" policy and bring them all back through plot holes, or in some cases without explanation at all. Yes its not a recent development, but writers in the 70s-90s at least seemed to respect, if not love their creations and characters. Now they are just using them to get a very marginal pop in sales that weakens them as a whole.

Old Post May 26th, 2013 09:05 PM
redhotrash is currently offline Click here to Send redhotrash a Private Message Find more posts by redhotrash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

It is annoying, but at least you can find some solace in the fact that all of the characters you mentioned have been revived.

Old Post May 26th, 2013 09:55 PM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Yep. This echos my feelings 100%.

Death, as I see it, should only come at the end of a character's story. If you aren't done with them, and I mean done, it's ok to shove them aside, retire them, stick them in limbo, or what have you, but it's dumb to kill them.

We follow characters because we like their stories. Death means no more stories from them. Any death must be worth at least that much.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by curryman
It is annoying, but at least you can find some solace in the fact that all of the characters you mentioned have been revived.

And that cheapens any death that you do and you want to stick.

Also, even a 'death then resurrection' means you're not getting any stories from the character for probably years, maybe a decade, plus it adds what is normally a very weak (and certainly overused) story element into their story anyway.

Old Post May 26th, 2013 09:59 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

I did a thread with some of the writers standing kill count

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...+userid%3A76379

Old Post May 26th, 2013 10:12 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redhotrash

Thanks KM, for starting a cool thread that still manages to make me sad. I don't even really take exception to killing a character, it should happen occasionally. Its the way they do it that bothers me. I remember when it was a huge deal to kill Magick, a fairly minor character. Now I wonder if they even run these by anyone.

Old Post May 26th, 2013 10:41 PM
redhotrash is currently offline Click here to Send redhotrash a Private Message Find more posts by redhotrash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

lol

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 27th, 2013 02:40 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Re: Stop killing characters!

Originally posted by redhotrash
Now they feed Taskmaster to Rulk as a afterthought.
I'm sorry what?

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post May 27th, 2013 03:04 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Btw, I'm going to, as usual, recommend some indy comics.

Fred Perry's Gold Digger has very few deaths. It's a long running comic and it manages to be perfectly dramatic without them.

Atomic Robo, not high on character death, but high on awesome.

Old Post May 27th, 2013 07:58 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Re: Re: Stop killing characters!

Originally posted by SamZED
I'm sorry what?

Age of Ultron

Old Post May 27th, 2013 09:35 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

It's ok to kill chars off in alternate universes, since they're just short stories anyway.

Old Post May 28th, 2013 01:12 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

It's ok to kill off characters when it matters. This is why I think Daredevil is still consistently the greatest comic. The deaths of Karen Page and Heather Glenn matter. They aren't coming back and both of them died because of Daredevil's actions. Elektra came back but if you look at the way she and DD interact, it's like a bad break up, they're dead to each other.

The death of a character, especially when it's permanent should be emotional and should serve to move the story when that character was holding things back and repeating story lines. I think that's why so many people are pissed that they brought Quentin Beck back.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post May 29th, 2013 03:11 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

I didn't care for the death of Damien Wayne. Im still at a loss as how it could be considered a good idea for either story purpose or fan service. Just seemed like a waste of character development

GAMMA GIDEON

Respect: -Dynamo 5 -Greed -Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy

Old Post May 29th, 2013 04:35 AM
SevenShackles is currently offline Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by SevenShackles
I didn't care for the death of Damien Wayne. Im still at a loss as how it could be considered a good idea for either story purpose or fan service. Just seemed like a waste of character development

Thinking too much from a closed-story perspective. Morrison is used to people not using his toys whether or not he leaves them in usable position, so he had a complete Damien arc in mind, apparently. Or at least that's my guess.

Overlooking, of course, that you managed to make a character interesting and liked, you can simply keep developing him.

That's where gems like Nightwing and Tim Drake come from.

quote:
Darth Jello

The death of a character, especially when it's permanent should be emotional and should serve to move the story when that character was holding things back and repeating story lines.

Which reminds me, a death that was handled well- Ted Kord.

Because after he died, his story importance increased and play a role in countless plotlines. Everyman impersonated him once. Booster Gold tries to save him with time travel in his book. He inspires Jaime Reyes regularly. The Birds of Prey talk about him.

He's dead, but his death is a story seed in a way even most 'dramatic' deaths aren't. Let alone cheap throw-away deaths that are so common.

Old Post May 31st, 2013 10:31 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by Q99
Thinking too much from a closed-story perspective. Morrison is used to people not using his toys whether or not he leaves them in usable position, so he had a complete Damien arc in mind, apparently. Or at least that's my guess.

Overlooking, of course, that you managed to make a character interesting and liked, you can simply keep developing him.

That's where gems like Nightwing and Tim Drake come from.

Which reminds me, a death that was handled well- Ted Kord.

Because after he died, his story importance increased and play a role in countless plotlines. Everyman impersonated him once. Booster Gold tries to save him with time travel in his book. He inspires Jaime Reyes regularly. The Birds of Prey talk about him.

He's dead, but his death is a story seed in a way even most 'dramatic' deaths aren't. Let alone cheap throw-away deaths that are so common.

Ditto with Karen Paige. I love the moment where it's revealed that everything Daredevil's done, From the end of Guardian Devil to nearly beating Bullseye and The Kingpin to death and declaring himself the Kingpin was essentially him dealing with Karen's death by way of a prolonged nervous breakdown. Not the first time, but definitely longest and one of the most well written period of mental illness for the character.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2013 04:06 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Yea, you can do death well, but the death has to become part of the story.

Heck, Barry Allen. Great death. Living up to his memory, dealing with an imposter, and so on. Barry lived large in Wally's life well after he was gone.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2013 04:50 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Q99
Yea, you can do death well, but the death has to become part of the story.

Heck, Barry Allen. Great death. Living up to his memory, dealing with an imposter, and so on. Barry lived large in Wally's life well after he was gone.

Bringing back Barry was such a shame. It was iconic, meaningful, and Wally had lived up to the legacy entirely. People still knew and loved Hal when they pushed Kyle back into the background. But Barry was entirely in the past. There was nothing necessary about what they did.

At least Mar-vell is still intact. When he "returned" it was an alternate reality or some nonsense.

Ted Kord, another good mention. That story did more for his stature than any death ever for a comic character...genuinely made readers care about him.

Earth X Cpt. America is another great example. Though by the end Death is gone as a concept (or something) so it's sorta reversed.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 2nd, 2013 at 05:54 AM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2013 05:50 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Re: Re: Re: Stop killing characters!

Originally posted by -K-M-
Age of Ultron
Ah. Isn't that some sort of alternative "never-going-to-happen" future though?

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2013 08:23 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stop killing characters!

Originally posted by SamZED
Ah. Isn't that some sort of alternative "never-going-to-happen" future though?

Yeah, he will be back

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2013 01:01 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by redhotrash
This is driving me nuts. Few things irk me more than seeing a character I've enjoyed for 15+ years killed at the whim of some fly-by-night writer trying to move a few issues or push whatever crappy event they have going now. It feels cheap, rushed, and generally puts their backs against the wall when they fail to develop a new character people care about to take their place and end up having to revive the deceased later. Worst of all it generally happens with little fanfare and does nothing to truly promote whatever pet project they are pushing that week. Eddie Brock commits suicide on a off panel. Sabretooth gets decapitate in the snow. Thanos has his heart ripped out. Absorbing Man and Carnage are crushed in space. Mr Sinister gets overpowered by Mystique. Punisher gets sliced into a dozen pieces. Now they feed Taskmaster to Rulk as a afterthought. Hasn't the Hulk family ruined enough characters since WWH? So they break their "dead means dead" policy and bring them all back through plot holes, or in some cases without explanation at all. Yes its not a recent development, but writers in the 70s-90s at least seemed to respect, if not love their creations and characters. Now they are just using them to get a very marginal pop in sales that weakens them as a whole.
Get over it. If the status quo always remains basically the same you have no real growth and things become stale.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2013 01:04 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

i think you can blame all of this to the "death" of superman..

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2013 03:07 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote