KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Trends in comics

Trends in comics
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Trends in comics

curious if anyone has noticed or come across any trends in comics lately--specific books or the market in general. for example, the recent trend of running certain titles to death--like all the avengers books, all the bat books or superman books. there is also a trend toward more convoluted (though not necessarily better) plots. or is that just my imagination?

anything anyone has spotted out there?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 02:53 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pym-ftw
Mizukage

Movie influence.

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 04:56 PM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

that's a good one. more characters are taking on their movie origins and personas. thumb up

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 05:43 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I've noticed the current Batman trend for sure. He's being given a HUGE push across ALL different types of media--from toys, to games, to movies, etc. And the interesting thing about the numerous comic titles that carry the Bat-Brand is that pretty much all of them sell extremely well every single month. Can't blame DC for trying to milk that cash-cow for all it's worth. thumb up

...I'm also pretty sure that some of the push for Batman merchandise this past year stems from it being his 75th anniversary.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 05:49 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

quote: (post)
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Movie influence.

Yup, and this one is pretty big.

Bendis' move onto Avengers and GotG springs to mind....

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 06:09 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

not just movies. fraction and hickman both made their tv writing debuts doing da vinci's demons, which i love btw....

movies are earning so much, i guess it's not hard to see why comic books would start cow-towing to them. most people now-a-days probably know the characters more from movies than comics. maybe an exaggeration, but still, you know what i'm saying.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 06:56 PM
riv6672

Hero on hero violence.

You guys tell me if i'm wrong, but from what i see in the Vs forum, at least at Marvel, seems the heroes spend more time fighting each other than anything else.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2014 07:12 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

A costume trend for a few years now, especially in DC, is to have costumes look more "armor-y" by segmenting them. Ingenious, imo, a great evolution away from spandex, and a good way to tie in with "more realistic" movie versions of costumes.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 09:33 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Re: Trends in comics

Originally posted by leonidas
curious if anyone has noticed or come across any trends in comics lately--specific books or the market in general. for example, the recent trend of running certain titles to death--like all the avengers books, all the bat books or superman books. there is also a trend toward more convoluted (though not necessarily better) plots. or is that just my imagination?

anything anyone has spotted out there?
Marvel - whoring themselves to the movies. I can almost see them bending over and taking it without lube in some of the comics. The most blatantly angering one is the black Nick Fury in the mainstream Universe, who also happens to have an eyepatch.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 09:39 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

in all fairness, that 'version' of fury predates the films.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 09:43 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Originally posted by Galan007
in all fairness, that 'version' of fury predates the films.
In the Ultimate universe. That's like making Superman black in the movies, then replacing it with a black one in the main Universe that looks like Obama.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 09:47 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Oookay...not touching this racial whim wham.

I do agree with mindship on the armory trend. I like it also.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 09:50 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Philosophía
In the Ultimate universe. That's like making Superman black in the movies, then replacing it with a black one in the main Universe that looks like Obama.
lol.

at least black fury(blury?) existed in the comic medium before he existed in the cinematic medium. some of the other movie-to-comic shit marvel has pulled is just f*cking embarrassing, tho.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 09:57 PM
riv6672

Like what?

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 10:10 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

don't talk to me. thumb up

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 10:21 PM
riv6672

Free Country, bro.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2014 11:14 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by riv6672
Like what?

I know there's Agent Coulson which has been added to the comics

personally i don't see what the big deal is, Not that much different to adding things from a tv show or other mediums.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 09:59 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Judging by the example, i'm pretty sure i know what the deal is.

I personally have no problem with canon immigration.
Marvel's been going it for years...
The Human Fly
X-23
Firestar
HERBIE
Morph
Reptil
JARVIS
White Tiger

Just saying. There have been way more hits than misses.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 10:25 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

DC has also been doing it

Harley Quinn
Jimmy Olsen
Chloe Sullivan

not sure if there's anymore.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 10:29 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Mas y Menos
Wendy and Marvin
Wonder Twins
Roxy Rocket
Livewire
Isis

Heck, Perry White and Jimmy Olsen are two old ooold examples...

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 10:47 AM