KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Gender-switching characters

Gender-switching characters
Started by: wuleecat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
wuleecat

Gender-switching characters

With the upcoming Thor switch, which characters do you think would make for the most interesting reading if they switched genders?
Apologies if this has already been done, I searched but couldn't see it.
I know some well-known names already have an analogue of the opposite gender (or we've seen them at some point in the past), so I guess I'm thinking of new ones?
Any thoughts?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2014 11:26 AM
wuleecat is currently offline Click here to Send wuleecat a Private Message Find more posts by wuleecat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Other than for RL 'political correctness', I see no benefit to gender-switching a character...unless the gender switch affects the character's personality. Eg, as a rule, women tend to be more empathetic / less physically aggressive than men. Will we see any of this with, say, the new Thor? If not, then this GSing was (imho) purely for being 'politically correct' / making money and serves no real purpose with regard to character development.

That being said, afaik, there has been no male-ization of female characters (or has there?). We've seen so many male --> female that at this point, a female --> male GS would be genuinely interesting.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2014 05:31 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Thor hasn't switched gender.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Sep 17th, 2014 10:02 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I'd be fine with it happening to nearly any character. But The Doctor (Doctor Who) actually has a plausible means by which to gender swap. I'd enjoy seeing that, provided it's handled intelligently and not as a way to pander to an audience.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by krisblaze
Thor hasn't switched gender.

For marketing/PR purposes, he has. Technicalities are to placate hardcore fans.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 04:09 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Mindship
Other than for RL 'political correctness', I see no benefit to gender-switching a character...unless the gender switch affects the character's personality. Eg, as a rule, women tend to be more empathetic / less physically aggressive than men. Will we see any of this with, say, the new Thor? If not, then this GSing was (imho) purely for being 'politically correct' / making money and serves no real purpose with regard to character development.

That being said, afaik, there has been no male-ization of female characters (or has there?). We've seen so many male --> female that at this point, a female --> male GS would be genuinely interesting.

DC had an alternate universe where everyone was gender-switched, which featured "Wonder Man" and the "Manazons". It was pretty much as bad as you'd expect.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 06:42 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Some greater emphasis on female super-scientists would be cool. I don't want Iron Man to become Iron Woman, but a mainstream female equivalent, as an original character, would draw my interest as a reader.

I think Engineer's a bit unique in this aspect, and it definitely gives her some initial appeal to new readers. Or at least to me, when I was a new reader.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2014 07:39 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Originally posted by Existere
Some greater emphasis on female super-scientists would be cool. I don't want Iron Man to become Iron Woman, but a mainstream female equivalent, as an original character, would draw my interest as a reader.

I think Engineer's a bit unique in this aspect, and it definitely gives her some initial appeal to new readers. Or at least to me, when I was a new reader.

Engineer's willingness to hand out bjs under the desk is what held appeal to readers

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 06:22 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Terrible lazy idea.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2014 07:35 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Existere

I agree with that, if only we didn't have the silly sliding timescale that has kept Franklin Richards a pre-teen since 1970, Valeria could grow up and become a prominent scientist.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 20th, 2014 05:31 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Digi

For marketing/PR purposes, he has. Technicalities are to placate hardcore fans.

But really he hasn't

i'm thinking of the blond haired guy , He'll still be around he's just come unworthy of holding the hammer.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2014 03:10 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pym-ftw
Mizukage

An Unattractive female Hulk, ie a real Hulk.

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2014 05:44 PM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

it is all about the benjamins.

it happens because marvel/dc, whoever wants to make money.. I look forward to reading the new thor as well as continue to follow unworthy thor

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2014 08:23 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote