KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Who is Marvel's main superhero?

Who is Marvel's main superhero?
Started by: AsbestosFlaygon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Who is Marvel's main superhero?

DC has Superman.

Image has Spawn.

Who is Marvel's main character/superhero? Who is the face of Marvel?

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 06:08 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Spider-Man, I would wager.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 06:34 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Spidey.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 06:49 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Why?

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 07:09 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Iron Man.

Ten years ago it'd have been Spider-Man, but the MCU has completely altered the way Marvel markets it's products. Iron Man is in, and a part of, every piece of merchandise you can think of nowadays. Spidey has more cultural relevance and nostalgia attached to him being the face of Marvel, but if it's a decision of putting Iron Man or Spiderman's image on something, Tony is going to get the nod these days.

Same reason I'd argue that Batman is the true face of DC, despite what DC actually says - they put more marketing behind Batman (more shows, more games, more movies, more products, more comics) than Superman.

Unless you're talking about in-universe relevance, in which case Superman is clearly the winner and Marvel has the Avengers as no single character really encompasses that position or merits that focus.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 07:11 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

In every major multiversal storyline, it's always Superman that gets the job done.

We've seen him become DC's ultimate superhero (yes, arguably greater than Logoz/Mages-empowered Spectre.) He has the greatest story ever told amongst any superhero in the entire comicdom, bar none.

About merchandise, that's a different topic altogether. Batman captures the intrigue of both comic and non-comic fans due to him being a mere human with no supernatural enhancements. I see him as REALISTICALLY the ideal superhero in the eyes of most people. But Superman IS the ideal comic book superhero.

It's the same with Spider-Man. He arguably has the best story amongst all other Marvel superheroes. I can see the reason why he's been viewed this way. But the thing is, he's never been established as the character that finishes off the big bad in multiversal events. None of Marvel's superheroes have, imo. That's the problem.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 07:28 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Pete or Tony, as others have said. In a symbolic sense, Steve is their center. But in terms of widespread appeal, the other two.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
But the thing is, he's never been established as the character that finishes off the big bad in multiversal events. None of Marvel's superheroes have, imo. That's the problem.

That's a problem? I consider it a bigger problem that a company would have someone whose job it is to finish off every big threat. Superman is a great character when treated like the mythic symbol as well as the man. But overuse in-universe is a real issue with both companies and their biggest draws.

I mean, for all the attention its gotten, Secret Wars is a literal rehash of a story that's already been told, complete with the same big bads and heroes (give or take a couple on either side). Both are guilty of this idiocy.

Last edited by Digi on Jul 24th, 2015 at 03:24 PM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 03:20 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Secret Wars 2015 was made to end the Ultimate universe.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 03:55 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Anyone but Wolverine

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 04:43 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Hulk.

He gets the job done. Kids love him, writers love him, fans love him, he's a smashing hit in the movies etc... And the list goes on.

Marvel: Hulk
DC: Superman
Image: Spawn

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on Jul 24th, 2015 at 07:05 PM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 06:58 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

roll eyes (sarcastic) No.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 07:42 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Digi
Pete or Tony, as others have said. In a symbolic sense, Steve is their center. But in terms of widespread appeal, the other two.

That's a problem? I consider it a bigger problem that a company would have someone whose job it is to finish off every big threat. Superman is a great character when treated like the mythic symbol as well as the man. But overuse in-universe is a real issue with both companies and their biggest draws.

I mean, for all the attention its gotten, Secret Wars is a literal rehash of a story that's already been told, complete with the same big bads and heroes (give or take a couple on either side). Both are guilty of this idiocy.

That hasn't been true for almost a decade, to be fair. In fact, the character has even been hurting of late.

Originally posted by Blair Wind
Iron Man.

Ten years ago it'd have been Spider-Man, but the MCU has completely altered the way Marvel markets it's products. Iron Man is in, and a part of, every piece of merchandise you can think of nowadays. Spidey has more cultural relevance and nostalgia attached to him being the face of Marvel, but if it's a decision of putting Iron Man or Spiderman's image on something, Tony is going to get the nod these days.

Same reason I'd argue that Batman is the true face of DC, despite what DC actually says - they put more marketing behind Batman (more shows, more games, more movies, more products, more comics) than Superman.

Unless you're talking about in-universe relevance, in which case Superman is clearly the winner and Marvel has the Avengers as no single character really encompasses that position or merits that focus.

Iron Man right now, sure, you could argue that, but I think Spidey will endure much more strongly.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 24th, 2015 11:24 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Based
iPinoy

The main guy for DC is Superman, the main guy for money and whoring is Batman.

Spidey I think is still number one in draw power, look at how many people in your movie theater ejaculated at the Spiderman teaser in Ant Man.

In universe though either Cap or Tony.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2015 01:06 AM
Based is currently offline Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by -Pr-
That hasn't been true for almost a decade, to be fair. In fact, the character has even been hurting of late.

Iron Man right now, sure, you could argue that, but I think Spidey will endure much more strongly.

thumb up

Originally posted by Based
The main guy for DC is Superman, the main guy for money and whoring is Batman.

Spidey I think is still number one in draw power, look at how many people in your movie theater ejaculated at the Spiderman teaser in Ant Man.

In universe though either Cap or Tony.

Or, ya know, spoiler tags. erm

Old Post Jul 25th, 2015 02:09 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I want to tell you not to worry, but that in itself might be a spoiler, so I don't know how to phrase it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 25th, 2015 02:44 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

The movies really boosted Iron Man.

Like before his movie he wasn't an unknown or anything be he was definitely one of those characters that the public only somewhat knew about and was under characters like Hulk or Captain america. Now he's being debated against Spidey in terms of being the face.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jul 25th, 2015 03:26 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Why?

Spider-man is easily their most popular individual hero and was the leader of Marvel's silver age- what made them as a company.

Iron Man is big of late, but people were unsure if an Iron Man movie would work before it did.

Spider-man, he's had 5 major movies and 9 TV shows. They're not going to stop making movies or TV series for him in the foreseeable future.

He crosses over with everyone in the comics. He's the hero everyone knows.

[B]In every major multiversal storyline, it's always Superman that gets the job done.

I consider that a bad habit. Just because someone's the big name, doesn't mean they have to be front and center at each major one.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2015 03:50 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

I think Spidey or Hulk

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Jul 25th, 2015 11:01 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

I'd say Spider-man still.

I mean in terms of merchandise and stuff Spider-man sells miles and miles ahead of literally any other superhero (It was like 1.3 billion dollars in 2013, whereas the second highest was Batman at like $400 million or something), and that's without being front and centre in the MCU films which have caused the Avengers to become a huge thing.

In universe is obviously different, with Cap being the moral centre of the universe.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Jul 25th, 2015 01:02 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Spider-man might have the longest running series, the most games, the most movies and the most television shows; but Marrina is probably the main.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2015 06:13 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote