KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » What would be on TIME Magazine's 100 Comic Books of All Time list?

What would be on TIME Magazine's 100 Comic Books of All Time list?
Started by: Jake2TheJakenin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jake2TheJakenin
Restricted

Account Restricted

What would be on TIME Magazine's 100 Comic Books of All Time list?

AV Club covers comics, and they also cover books, films, albums, videogames, and TV, and TIME Magazine has done a top 100 for all of those mediums, except they haven't done one for comics. Their has been the Comics Journal Top 100, but I would want to see what TIME's Top 100 Comics of All Time would look like.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2017 11:42 PM
Jake2TheJakenin is currently offline Click here to Send Jake2TheJakenin a Private Message Find more posts by Jake2TheJakenin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Do you mean graphic novels? Series? Or single issues? Either way, they will probably be greatly influenced by the Eisner awards.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 12:59 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jake2TheJakenin
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Do you mean graphic novels? Series? Or single issues? Either way, they will probably be greatly influenced by the Eisner awards.

Graphic novels, series and newspaper comics seem the most likely

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 02:19 AM
Jake2TheJakenin is currently offline Click here to Send Jake2TheJakenin a Private Message Find more posts by Jake2TheJakenin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
Pulling ALL The Strings

Pretty much ANY esteemed series is going to make a top 100 list.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 02:58 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I've been browsing the forums the last couple of days specifically to compile a list of comics that are on people's Must-Be-Read lists, as I am slowly starting to rediscover my love for comics. So far, the following would be my choices:

Marvels
Kingdom Come
Watchmen
Sandman
The Dark Knight Returns
All-Star Superman
Planetary
The Authority (Warren Ellis run)
Moon Knight (Warren Ellis run)
Okay fine - basically, if Warren Ellis wrote it, it should be on your list.
Astonishing X-Men (Josh Whedon run)
The Punisher MAX

There are quite a few others I have heard good things about but can't personally vouch for, as I haven't read them myself yet.

Comics I still want to check out are 100 Bullets; Y, The Last Man; Preacher; The Twelve (I'm on issue 3 at the moment and so far so good), and a whole bunch of others.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Last edited by Dreampanther on Feb 11th, 2017 at 03:20 AM

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 03:07 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jake2TheJakenin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
Pretty much ANY esteemed series is going to make a top 100 list.

Would TIME's Top 100 go against the grain?

How many superhero comics would make it in? Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are givens, but what else?

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 03:33 PM
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Originally posted by Jake2TheJakenin

How many superhero comics would make it in? Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are givens, but what else?

You generally end up with a ton of superhero books in top 100 lists due to the fact they dominate the medium and are historically important to it. Although somewhere like TIMe wouldn't have many in the top 20 I'd imagine.

But some examples- Batman: Year One, Spider-Man: If This Be My Destiny, All-Star Superman, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Dark Phoenix Saga would likely all be in it. There are few 'prestige' stories for most superhero that would appear.

Outside of super heroes there are comics that are always these lists like Maus or Persopolis or A Contract With God, because as well as being well made they're important to the medium or about really important things.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Feb 11th, 2017 04:29 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
Pulling ALL The Strings

Originally posted by Jake2TheJakenin

You'd get some non-superhero books like: Sandman, Lucifer, V For Vendetta, Maus, etc. -- but for the most part a top 100 list is going to be comprised primarily of superhero titles, imo. At the end of the day, those are simply what the bulk of consumers really seem to gravitate towards.

You'll always have titles like: Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet, Earth/Universe X, Punisher MAX, The Ultimates, Born Again, Kingdom Come, The Killing Joke, Death of Superman, The Great Darkness Saga, COIE, etc.etc.etc. -- they make pretty much every list. /shrug

Old Post Feb 12th, 2017 02:50 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote