KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Marvel's Political Rampage

Marvel's Political Rampage
Started by: Damborgson

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

Marvel's Political Rampage

So for the past few years we've been seeing a steady decline in Marvel's All-stars as they're replaced in one way or another by new characters that are supposedly fitting a political agenda. Whether that come in the form of a race change, sex change, younger demographic, etc.

Off the top of my head we've had replacements of

Nova
Thor
Wolverine
Captain America
Iron Man
Hulk
Ms. Marvel
Spiderman

Feel free to talk about any that I might have looked over.

Now the point of the thread is that these new characters haven't had the best of receptions because they've been force fed into the mainstream comics over some very well loved characters, but for one reason or another it gets brushed under the rug as just anti progressive ranting. Which is made clear through the comics:
(please log in to view the image)

So now this point of view is associated with a villains rant.

Or more recently:

So any sentiment against what's being portrayed is now coming out of the mouth of villains.

---------------------------

Tl;DR: The point of the thread is to express how you feel about the changes now that they've been out there for some time. But for the sake of humoring the writers, let's limit the critiques to the quality of the story.

Have these new characters been doing a good job in their roles story-wise (from your point of view) regardless of how they got there?

and also to cater to the political correct elephant in the room:
What is your opinion on mainstream characters being replaced by obvious attempts at diversification in comic books?

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 11:27 PM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

An added tragedy:

vs

Yeesh.

-Abhi Killer- X2

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 11:29 PM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 11:54 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Marvel's always thrown political shit around...

From Cap socking Adolf in the jaw WAY back in the day:

To Doctor f*cking Doom weeping when the twin towers went down (this one still cracks me up):

To Ult. Cap's infamous "France" comment:

It's just more consistently ridiculous in current times because Marvel seems to have let the SJW's and Feminazis have free reign of the whole damn company...

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 12:18 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

"Shrugs"

i don't mind some of it, not exactly getting on social media have rage rants like most other people do.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 02:19 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
"Shrugs"

i don't mind some of it, not exactly getting on social media have rage rants like most other people do.
You need to step up your game then.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 03:18 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Badabing

thumb up

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 03:33 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

@ Phil, in the first scan espcially, holy shit they're not even trying.

It's okay to X-ray yourself into stage 4 cancer but the problem is men having super power laughing out loud

-Abhi Killer- X2

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 06:37 AM
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Meh it's massively overblown on the internet imo, largely by people who haven't read the stories and just look at out of context scans.

Yeah there's some stuff, like Waid and Bendis trying really hard to look progressive but doing it with very little subtlety, but it's really nowhere near as egregious as people make it out to be.

Hell, you look at Spencer's Cap run and it gets massive hate from people on both sides of the political spectrum, which is a fairly good indication it's somewhat in the centre. I mean the Red Skull talking like that is seen as a bad thing as he's basically an immortal nazi using the same language the Nazi's used in real life, just to talk about different people. It's hardly a condemnation of all conservative viewpoints on immigration or whatnot.

I mean even those scans Phil posted, a bunch of them are basically nothing. The sons of the serpent were like that in literally their first ever appearance in the 60s. Faiza Hussain was a character Cornell invented in Cap Britain MI3 like a decade ago. That Mockingbird run, while it did have feminist themes and poked fun at a bunch of stuff, it was actually really solid and funny.

tldr: It's hardly as bad as people make it out to be, just don't read the stuff you deem to be too SJWey or whatever you think it is. Most of the main heroes are still around and will regain the focus again at some point, as comics cycle again.

My two cents at least.

Edit: Also Captain Marvel's new costume is waaay better than her old one, largely because it was Mckelvie who designed it and that man knows how to draw.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Last edited by AlmightyKfish on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 08:27 PM

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2017 08:24 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeadpoolXXX

laughing some of the stuff in this thread is gold!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 04:07 AM
DeadpoolXXX is currently offline Click here to Send DeadpoolXXX a Private Message Find more posts by DeadpoolXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

It's hit or miss, mostly. Although I fail to see how having the Red Skull spouting actual Nazi rhetoric is anything new. If you do some research you'll see Hitler said the same kinds of things.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Aug 8th, 2017 10:04 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'll be honest, if it gets kids and girls reading comics (rather than mostly males 20-60) . Comics are for kids after all and shouldn't girls like comics and it gets them thinking correctly, questioning prejudice and traditional gender roles etc... Brilliant.

I love how MODAK does look like Trump!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2017 12:07 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Given Charlottesville, I think Marvel is doing the right thing.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 11:42 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

From this week's 2000AD:

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 02:07 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

I decided to make twitter a few months ago, and I've been following comic book writers.

If virtue signaling backed by ignorance and strawmans would be paid in coins, the comic industry would rival Disney's movie output.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 06:49 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Galan007
To Ult. Cap's infamous "France" comment:

Repeat:

Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot

At least 616 Cap doesn't feel that way about France, Brubaker made sure of that.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 07:07 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Galan007
From this week's 2000AD:

That's not Marvel though.

But it is hilarious.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 19th, 2017 05:38 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Originally posted by SamZED
Now imagine for one second that the roles are reversed and it is Spider-woman and Captain Marvel who are made to strip and dance for Wolverine and Tony Stark's amusement while being lectured about gender roles in today's society.

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Might as well post this here.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 11:52 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Badabing

Or maybe it just doesn't bother me as much.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 12:14 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I have no idea what's going on there, but Deadpool doing something weird like that isn't exactly OOC for him. Spidey though...

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 02:02 AM