KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » The Pre-Crisis Supergirl Respect Thread

The Pre-Crisis Supergirl Respect Thread
Started by: bluewaterrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

The Pre-Crisis Supergirl Respect Thread

Although I've visited often and registered awhile back, I've never posted anything on KMC. I was hoping to change that last night, but discovered that the message I crafted, dependent on visual aids, could not be sent, because this forum doesn't allow the posting of links until you're "established".

So... I guess I'll set about trying to achieve that designation...

As the title says, I intend this to be a respect thread devoted to the Pre-Crisis Supergirl, Kara Zor-el.

Contributions are welcome.

I have a fairly decent store of material that I should be uploading in the next few days, but, again, I'm new to actually posting here, this being my first day doing so, so please bear with me.

Alright, let me get started by testing if I can at least send an image encoded within a single message, as this screen suggests I should be able to...

Attachment: linda as super amazon bending bars.jpg
This has been downloaded 753 time(s).

Last edited by bluewaterrider on Feb 7th, 2008 at 04:01 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 03:57 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Alright!

I can at least load some individual jpegs from my desk top here.

That one, for instance, was from Action Comics #342, page 23, and features Supergirl, aka Kara Zor-el, in her civilian guise of Linda Lee Danvers.

She's taking the first step to scouting her surroundings in that scene, so that she can can come up with a way to free some teenage friends she was captured with without revealing her secret identity.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 04:12 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

I guess I'll start out with episodes of Linda showing off her strength. For some reason, Supergirl showing off when she's NOT supposed to be Supergirl, i.e. in her civilian guise, nearly always seems more powerful and dramatic...

These won't be in any particular order to start, mainly because there is a size limit of 250 KB and I'm just trying to send what will go through...

Action Comics #351, page 28

Linda Lee Danvers, now Linda Lee Olsen, does some housecleaning...

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 04:43 PM
bluewaterrider

Wait, my image wouldn't go through?

And it was only 39 KB...

I'll try again. If it doesn't go through this time, I'll review how posting images in replies is done here...

Attachment: ac 351 028 linda lee danvers olsen w couch.jpg
This has been downloaded 695 time(s).

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 04:46 PM
bluewaterrider

Changing a flat tire...

Attachment: ac 357 021 linda lifting car for tire change.jpg
This has been downloaded 678 time(s).

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 05:03 PM
bluewaterrider

The preceding image is taken from Action Comics #357, page 21.

I'll try to cite the issue title and number for every entry I make -- the one thing I notice lacking in many otherwise stellar respect threads.

Next, Action Comics #360, where young Linda saves the lives of her newly adopted parents.

Attachment: ac 360 55n56 parent car cliff save 01b smaller.jpg
This has been downloaded 641 time(s).

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 07:25 PM
Amp
Restricted

Account Restricted

Before you go.

Just make 20 posts then you can post links. So just go post in the comic vs. Reply to 15 threads at least once and you got it. stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 07:28 PM
Amp is currently offline Click here to Send Amp a Private Message Find more posts by Amp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

In case anyone is wondering, Action Comics #360 was a special issue featuring Supergirl stories of the past. That is why you see her saving her parents for the first time 3 issues AFTER she is discussing, as an obviously more mature woman, how long she may or may not have been married to the guy she's lifting his car for.

Speaking of cars and such, I've actually got a thread on another message board devoted to them.

More than any other hero, even including her cousin, Superman, the early pre-Crisis Kara Zor-el occupies herself with the safe handling of pedestrians, passengers, and motor vehicles.

This was especially so for family, including not only her parents, but more newly introduced relatives as well...

Last edited by bluewaterrider on Feb 7th, 2008 at 08:01 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 07:55 PM
bluewaterrider

Hey, thanks Amp!

I think I'll reach that number as a matter of course in the coming week, possibly even today, but that is very good to know.

Posting with image attachments is cool in that I don't need an outside Image Host provider to let people see my collection, but it has some obvious drawbacks.

One is the 250-KB size limit.

You'd be amazed how many picture files exceed that mark, and how difficult it is to edit down to make the cut while still having something big enough to see and of still reasonable quality.

Another drawback to trying to use attachments, which I JUST now discovered, is that, if you try to post visual attachments as installments of a series, mistakenly post one out of order, delete it and try to correct your mistake, you'll find you cannot do it.

You've got to post a whole 'nother message and start over again.

So I'm definitely looking forward to obtaining link-posting ability.

Thanks again for your advice!

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 08:13 PM
Amp
Restricted

Account Restricted

No problem and good luck.

A bunch of quick posts in the Sex in the room thread should be enough.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 08:15 PM
Amp is currently offline Click here to Send Amp a Private Message Find more posts by Amp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

As stated just a moment ago, I found that one cannot replace an attachment after deletion, I was going to give the FOLLOWING first, from Action Comics #303...

Attachment: ac 303 020, linda saves parents and jan, cliff car.jpg
This has been downloaded 606 time(s).

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 08:20 PM
bluewaterrider

... and THEN give this second showing, from the very same Action Comics #303, where Linda saves Jan, the driver in the post above, from a SECOND car-related death, even as her saving Jan that self-same first time made the second time she saved her PARENTS once again from car-related death:

Attachment: linda saves jan a second time, b.jpg
This has been downloaded 598 time(s).

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 08:25 PM
bluewaterrider

Clearly for some, cars are dangerous to be in, around, or near.

People named Danvers are especially vulnerable.

Fortunately, by the time of Action Comics #291, Linda's parents are wisely choosing the more thrilling yet sensible option available to them:

Attachment: ideal solution.jpg
This has been downloaded 598 time(s).

Last edited by bluewaterrider on Feb 7th, 2008 at 09:02 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 08:56 PM
Hannibal-Lector

nice job so far but correct me if im wrong, isnt there a pre-crisis kryptonian thread already?

Old Post Feb 8th, 2008 02:43 AM
Hannibal-Lector is currently offline Click here to Send Hannibal-Lector a Private Message Find more posts by Hannibal-Lector Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Hannibal-Lector
nice job so far but correct me if im wrong, isnt there a pre-crisis kryptonian thread already?

Yes there is, and most of these feats have been posted there already

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 8th, 2008 04:15 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Hannibal, thank you for your compliment.

The reason I did not put images in the pre-crisis Kryptonian thread is that this thread is dedicated to Supergirl exclusively.

-----------

Mike, I know that there is a thread devoted to the MODERN-day version of Kara Zor-el, but I haven't found one on KMC that focuses on the 1959-1985 version.

The only thing I've seen on KMC about THIS version of Supergirl is on page 3 of the thread Hannibal was asking about, and, from what I can tell, not one of those pictures match the images I've shown so far.

If you do know of another place in KMC where these have been posted, however, please link me to it.

Last edited by bluewaterrider on Feb 8th, 2008 at 03:34 PM

Old Post Feb 8th, 2008 03:29 PM
bluewaterrider

Alright, time to continue.

There are a lot more cars and vehicles I want to show being hefted, carried, crashed, etcetera before this day is through.

Besides that, I'm hoping to reach Amp's magic 20 mark so I can switch to bonafide links, and I've got at least 8 messages to go before that happens.

First showing of the day, then, a special class of "hidden" assist given by the Maid of Might to her young friend Richard Malverne.

Action Comics #290.

Attachment: hidden sg assist.jpg
This has been downloaded 581 time(s).

Last edited by bluewaterrider on Feb 8th, 2008 at 04:44 PM

Old Post Feb 8th, 2008 04:42 PM
bluewaterrider

Let me not neglect other showings.

Silver Age Supergirl (Sakara) may specialize in cars, but she was more than willing to diversify when needed.

Whether the people she was saving wanted her help or not.

Good thing, too -- the people of Midvale seem just a tad... suicidal...

(Action Comics #305)

Attachment: ac305017karasavescanoeist.jpg
This has been downloaded 604 time(s).

Last edited by bluewaterrider on Feb 8th, 2008 at 07:13 PM

Old Post Feb 8th, 2008 07:07 PM
bluewaterrider

Action Comics #313

Attachment: lena saved from car.jpg
This has been downloaded 558 time(s).

Old Post Feb 8th, 2008 07:11 PM
bluewaterrider

Action Comics #318

I decided to split this showing of Linda saving her reckless sleuthing young girlfriend into two separate images even though the page would have gone in under the 250-KB limit.

The reason is I want people to be able to realize just how much action is actually taking place in this scene or is about to take place...

Attachment: kmc donna hay save part a.jpg
This has been downloaded 618 time(s).

Old Post Feb 8th, 2008 07:28 PM