KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » Why I Don't Want To See "Indy IV"

Why I Don't Want To See "Indy IV"
Started by: Ahnold

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Love Why I Don't Want To See "Indy IV"

Hey guys. Please forgive me in advance for the length of this post, but I find myself in a curious dilemma - one which I'm interested if anyone on here finds themself in too ...

Let me start by saying that - despite what the thread title may suggest - I love "Indiana Jones". I, like countless others, grew up with those first 3 films; I must have seen each of them dozens of times, and am slightly embarassed to admit that I can probably quote large chunks of them stick out tongue - in short, they are some of my favourite movies of all time. And, for as long as I can remember, there have been whispers of a fourth entry in the franchise. As a die-hard fan, how could I not be hugely excited by this tantalising prospect? A new "Indiana Jones" film to watch and enjoy after so many years? What could be better? Alas, year after year we were cruelly teased and tantalised with the prospect of a fourth film, and yet nothing concrete materialised. There was setback after setback after setback - and I must admit that, by 2006, I had lost all hope of ever seeing any new adventure for Dr. Jones ...

And then came that glorious announcement in December of 2006 that finally - finally - the 3 major players had signed off on the latest script, and that it was actually due to start filming in the Summer of the following year. Like millions of fans across the globe, I was overjoyed, and my anticipation levels for the film skyrocketed. And then, as the months passed, I saw and watched excitedly as they released the first photos, and then the film's title, and then the first teaser. And now here we are, and - and a part of me still can't believe I'm actually saying this - the release of the film is just under a month away ...

So then - why the thread title? Why *don't* I want to see "Indy IV"? Don't get me wrong - I will see it, of course, and what's more I'll be there on opening day. But, if I'm being honest, a part of me is reluctant to. And why? Because when I do ... then that'll be it; the wait will be over. And, in truth, I don't think that I'll ever again look forward to another movie as much as this one (except, perhaps, "Back To The Future IV" stick out tongue ) . And that just makes me kinda sad ...

Ahnold Sez: (From "The Expendables 2"): "My *shoe* is bigger than this cahr!"

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 10:16 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

True, the wait will be over, but I'm more interested to see if the wait was worth it. If not, then the wait didn't mean anything to begin with.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 01:29 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Good point.

Well, seeing how Spielberg has continued to develop his art in great films like Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, Catch me if you can and The Terminal... I think this will turn out fine. I hope so in any case, but what I've seen so far has given me good ole Indy chills... All we can hope is that Lucas doesn't have too much of a say in this one. wink

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 10:25 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Don't forget Munich.

And I read an interview with Ford, who said he would be up for another one if they don't have to wait another decade for a script. This could just be the start of your wait.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 10:43 AM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

True, Exanda Kane - there could well be even more "Indiana Jones" films beyond the fourth (although, given the immense time and effort it took to get *this* one together, I kinda doubt it). But I already know that the wait for those wouldn't be quite like the wait for "Indy IV". After all, everyone has been waiting a whopping 19 years for this next adventure, with the constant setbacks the film has suffered over the years (coupled with periodic glimmers of hope), if anything, making the anticipation all the more (and, one would hope, the payoff all the sweeter). I highly doubt that any future films would end up having such an agonisingly drawn out, rollercoaster ride of a development, and so the anticipation for a fifth movie could never be as high as it is for this one ...

What's more, for an entire generation of fans (myself included), "KOTCS" will be the first Indiana Jones film that we'll get to see up on the big screen (as they are meant to be seen!). Like watching your first "Star Wars" film in cinemas, that's an experience that can never be replicated - even with a sequel.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 12:07 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

Yeah i'm looking forward to seeing my first Indy film in theaters - it's like a dream come truewink i'm not expecting miracles on this one, as long as it closely resembles the look and feel of the originals, i'll be fine with it.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 04:30 PM
Stun is currently offline Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It's gonna be my fourth in teh theater! Happy Dance

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:59 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Yeah I understand.I am going to see the movie but I really wish he had ended the series as a trilogy so im not excited about it.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 02:41 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Ah well, if Indy 4 is good... who cares?

Old Post May 1st, 2008 12:08 PM
Ahnold
The Former Governator

It's funny, but ... looking back now on the whole agonisingly drawn-out build-up to "Indiana Jones IV", I've come to the realisation that, in spite of the fact that I very much enjoyed the film itself, I think I actually enjoyed the wait a whole lot more. I should have seen it coming, really; I call it the "Snakes On A Plane" effect stick out tongue - it's problem is that the end result, however good, can't possibly live up to the promise of expectation ...

Old Post Oct 10th, 2008 11:40 PM
queeq
Chaos

Unfortunately no..

Old Post Oct 16th, 2008 09:06 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Hell It couldnt compete with the expectations put on "The Mummy 3", let alone with all the great things expected from the new film to go with the greatest trilogies of all time.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 09:52 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
Ah well, if Indy 4 is good... who cares?

unfortunately it wasnt.the idiots should have kept it as a trilogy. mad No wonder sean connery bailed out of doing this movie.After reading the god awful script he probably said -No thanks.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2009 10:50 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Prolly. I personally think there is no excuse. You have George Lucas and Spielberg and Ford... No, if ever money's no reason to fail, it's with these guys. They'd easily collect a handsome budget, do it all for free in the process and just get some rights in the profits and they'd still make a crapload of money. So why did it fail? Nonchalance? Trying toplease all three players? WTF?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 07:37 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yeah it could be a case of "Too many cooks..." and greed combined.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 02:35 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Even that doesn't work since they made a lot better pics in the past.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 10:05 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yeah but the cooks in the 'Too many cooks' analogy are top cooks who all have owned excellent resteraunts... The point is when you water your ideas down and surrender it to the manipulation of others who might not be on the same page as you, it invites disaster is the point.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2009 04:43 PM
queeq
Chaos

But then there is Raiders... Same cooks, with individual successes prior to that. And then ToD and TLC. Somehow, it remains unexplained. Maybe they considered it a walk in the park.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2009 10:03 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Complacency?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2009 11:06 PM
queeq
Chaos

Yeah, something like that. I really wonder how they feel themselves about the movie now.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2009 07:58 AM