KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » An Interesting "What If?" Scenario For Y'All ...

An Interesting "What If?" Scenario For Y'All ...
Started by: Ahnold

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Question An Interesting "What If?" Scenario For Y'All ...

Hey guys.

First off, let me just say that I have high hopes for "Indy IV". Whilst the trailers haven't really given too much away, I am confident that Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford would not have decided to finally make this film (especially after so many years in development) unless they felt that it would be a worthy addition to the franchise. I intend to stay away from any early reviews as much as possible, but in deciding on this, an interesting thought crossed my mind - in essence, a kind of "what if?" scenario ...

Imagine, if you will, that the film is previewed over the coming days, and is universally slammed as a piece of total and utter garbage, with critics proclaiming it to be a wholly unworthy and unnecessary addition to the franchise. In response, Steven Spielberg decides to give the fans the ultimate choice: that he release the film as it is, come what may ... or destroy the only existing copy, thus preventing anyone else from ever laying eyes upon it ...

So then ... what would you decide? If the film was said to be truly awful, would you rather that it never be released (perhaps by sealing it away in a "Raiders"-esque warehouse stick out tongue ), thus preserving the original trilogy as it is, or would you see it regardless? A completely hypothetical scenario, of course, but I'm keen to hear what you guys think smile ...

Ahnold Sez: (From "The Expendables 2"): "My *shoe* is bigger than this cahr!"

Old Post May 10th, 2008 12:48 AM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

I would still like to see it. The trio worked hard to put it together, so I would be inclined to at least check it out.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post May 10th, 2008 02:12 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I'd still want a release. It'll encourage a younger generation to watch Indy, even if it is crap, and that is always a nice thing to see.

It has a lot less at stake than the Star Wars Prequels though - even if it is poor they could probably shrug it off as a homage to the B movies of the 50s, whilst Star Wars ultimately got wrapped up in its own mythology and lost that excuse. Also, anything with Harrison Ford is be default awesome. Yes, I'm including Firewall.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post May 10th, 2008 10:31 AM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I'd still watch it a couple of times. Tehre are very unwatchable Spielberg films. Even Lost World is still a bit entertaining.

Old Post May 10th, 2008 09:09 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

yep, as long as i feel the need to watch it as regulary as the other 3, then i'm satisfied

Old Post May 12th, 2008 01:45 AM
Stun is currently offline Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

Well given that it's critics saying this I'd pay no mind to it. Ebert bashed Predator, critics are for the most part pompous idiots. So bring on Indy IV

Old Post May 12th, 2008 01:53 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

they're the kind of critics who walk in looking for an excuse to hate it -find one, then play havoc with it!

Old Post May 12th, 2008 01:57 AM
Stun is currently offline Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

And after that the good ones become classics. Not all movies they bump are good though. Sometimes they are right.

Old Post May 12th, 2008 09:28 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
And after that the good ones become classics. Not all movies they bump are good though. Sometimes they are right.

Yeah, they can't always be wrong.

Old Post May 12th, 2008 10:56 PM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Old Post May 13th, 2008 10:24 AM
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Just as an addendum to my "what if" scenario ... what if you found out that the film is literally just Harrison Ford, sitting in a chair, and reading the phone book from A to Z for over 2 hours (the film's marketing revealed to be a massive, expensive lie)? Would you still see it then stick out tongue ?

Bah ... enough with my negativity; bring on the film already rock . Thursday can't ... get here ... fast enough big grin !

Old Post May 20th, 2008 10:42 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

officially 1 day over here - especially for the midnight screeners' wink

Old Post May 20th, 2008 11:10 PM
queeq
Chaos

Some must have sene it by now. I have to wait till Friday... sad

Old Post May 21st, 2008 08:39 AM
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Bump stick out tongue !

Hey guys! Haven't posted here in a good long while now; nice to be back smile .

Hmmm ... now that the dust has settled on "Indy IV", I wonder if some people still wish that, as my original post proposed, it had never seen the light of day? Whilst I very much enjoyed it, I am fully aware that it has split opinion right down the middle. Even for those of you who didn't really think much of it, are you still glad that the film was (finally) made? Or do you wish that the series had been left alone after Indy's "Last Crusade"?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2008 11:28 PM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

they could have made this one, an older indy is interesting in itself... but the whole story should have been done better...

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2008 09:38 AM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup

Old Post Oct 16th, 2008 09:07 PM
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Out of interest, Queeq, what did you think of "Indy IV"? I'm sure you've said so in other threads, but I've been away from the forum for the past couple of months; I'd be very interested to know smile .

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 01:15 AM
queeq
Chaos

I thought Ford did a good job, so did Shia. I liked the first 20 minutes. Unlike most I wasn't bothered too much about the fridge. I disliked the gophers spiders and monkey scene intensely. But my major disappointment was how they handled the story arc. Indy is about a McGuffin and a good ride. KOTC is about the content of the McGuffin, which contradicts the whole concept. In othere words: Raiders is about retrieving the ark, ToD is about retrieving stones, TLC is about retrieving the grail, KOTC is about aliens (and less about retrieving.... well, err... guess they're retrieving knowlegde i.e. the content of the McGuffin). So the whole chase doesn't work as well and we have to settle for the bloody aliens. A major mistake we, objectively, have to blame Lucas for since he rejected Darabont's script which WAS about the chase.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 06:55 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

And Speilberg for going along with what he must have known deep down was a shit idea.

For someone so anti nazi as he is, it would be poor form of S.S to turn round and use their old "I voz only following orderzzzzzzzzzzzz" excuse.

His name was on the credits for his deeds- he was jointly responsible and could have jumped ship at any time (maybe getting sued) he liked but chose to stand by it/make massive money off of it.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Oct 17th, 2008 at 09:55 AM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 09:45 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Unfortunately.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 12:23 PM