KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » One Year On ...

One Year On ...
Started by: Ahnold

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (24): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ahnold
The Former Governator

One Year On ...

Hey guys.

My first post to the Indy forum in a while now - feels good to be back smile .

Believe it or not, it's now been exactly one year since "Indy IV" hit the big screen, ending a wait of almost 20 years. My question is, how do you guys feel about it now, distanced from all the hype, excitement, and - for some - disappointment that made it difficult to judge objectively at the time?

For my part, I'm still somewhat conflicted about the finished film. Yes, it was never going to live up to the crushing weight of expectation that had built up over nineteen years, and it's far from a perfect film - but I still very much enjoyed it, and certainly don't regret it being made. In truth, I haven't actually watched it yet for a second time (though I did buy the DVD) - I guess I've just been waiting until I felt "ready" to see it again. And y'know what? Now feels like the perfect opportunity to re-visit it at last ...

What are your thoughts on it?

Ahnold Sez: (From "The Expendables 2"): "My *shoe* is bigger than this cahr!"

Old Post May 22nd, 2009 10:45 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

It burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnns....

It burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnns....!!!!!!!

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post May 23rd, 2009 04:53 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Very. we're still not very keen on liking KOTCS, I'm afraid. Watching it on Blu Ray didn't really help.

Old Post May 24th, 2009 03:40 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

It does to the brain what the Ark did to those Raiders nazis.

Old Post May 27th, 2009 09:15 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
It does to the brain what the Ark did to those Raiders nazis.

...turns the brain into some mushy gooey stuff?

I was disappointed with it...I mean seriously wtf!?! Indy survived a nuke via a led fridge and then they had aliens, why not just throw Peter Pan and Tinkerbell into the whole damn thing and then Indy can like fly into outer space and like beat up superman!! Whole movie was a mess...lets face it George and Steve were as high as a kite...they didn't go to the moon they went to f*cking Jupiter

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post May 28th, 2009 03:03 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

I hated it the first time, I loathed it the second time but haven't come around to see it for a third time...

It's pretty simple: Spielberg wanted a classic Indy, Lucas wanted an absurd rediculous Indy. I don't mind the aliens (considering we already had the Grail & the Ark), but while the original stories were more about the search of the artifact, the new Indy was about ...well... stopping Commies? If they just had the alien-part in the end it would have worked much better (also, trim down or delete the last scene with the UFO flying off).
Oh and despite them saying they didn't use much CGI... it showed... badly.

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post May 29th, 2009 09:42 AM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by steverules_2
...turns the brain into some mushy gooey stuff?

I was disappointed with it...I mean seriously wtf!?! Indy survived a nuke via a led fridge and then they had aliens, why not just throw Peter Pan and Tinkerbell into the whole damn thing and then Indy can like fly into outer space and like beat up superman!! Whole movie was a mess...lets face it George and Steve were as high as a kite...they didn't go to the moon they went to f*cking Jupiter

...From the Jupiter between Jupiters..........

Old Post May 29th, 2009 02:05 PM
Dr Will Hatch

Roger Eberts review summed up my thoughts nicely: If you eat four pounds of sausage, how do you choose which pound tasted the best? Well, the first one, of course, and then there's a steady drop-off of interest. That's why no Indy adventure can match "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981). But if "Crystal Skull" (or "Temple of Doom" from 1984 or "Last Crusade" from, 1989) had come first in the series, who knows how much fresher it might have seemed?

Old Post May 30th, 2009 01:45 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

But you cannot compare LC and TOD to KOTCS.

Its just wrong.
They stand haead and shoulders in terms of entertainment above 'the aliens of shit' movie.

Noone wanted raiders reproduced note for note in the movie.
All we wanted was for it to be an Indy standard movie.

And it wasn't.

Besides. If what was tasted first will always be superior, then thats like saying Empire wasnt as enjoyable as A New Hope.

Old Post May 30th, 2009 05:22 PM
queeq
Chaos

Or Godfather II compared to Godfather I.

It is possible ya know. But not if you just go out copying Raiders like tehy did on KOTCS, using teh excuse that that is 'what the fans want'. We don't a lame rip off of something that's been done before, we like something we HAVEN'T seen before.

Old Post May 30th, 2009 06:22 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

If anything, LC was a blantant plagerization of "Raiders". And Sean Connery didn't do too much for me, neither did the other characters or the storyline. I like the movie, but I think its inferior to KOTCS. At least Indy IV has the virtue of being different. At worst, it's an interesting failure, but I liked it a lot.

It's hard to compare Indiana Jones to "Star Wars" or "The Godfather" because the latter two are more interested in their story arcs and characterization than Indy is. Indy is pure adventure, while the other two are bigger in scope.

Old Post May 30th, 2009 08:48 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Long story arcs.... from Young Indy all the way to the Last crusade....?

Some would say that that was a long ass arc.

(A lot longer hourswise than the Godfather trilogy.)

And I would defintely dispute the use of the word "interesting" that you popped in before the word "failure".

And why just use the one descriptive?

I admire your restraint sir, when you could have rightfully chosen any of:

"Sterile, uninspired and over cynical then overtly insipid."
"Catastrophic, souless and immensely boring"
"Glossy, shallow as a puddle and intellectually bankrupt."
"The pinnacle of the art of being 'the anus of filmaking'."
"The kids movie that immasculated Indiana Jones."

Not to mention the classic "shit". smile

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on May 31st, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Old Post May 31st, 2009 12:45 AM
Dr Will Hatch

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Long story arcs.... form Young Indy all the way to the Last crusade....?

Some would say that that was a long ass arc.

(A lot longer that the Godfather trilogy.)
Aren't the movies the only canon?

Old Post May 31st, 2009 12:54 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Not as far as I know, Queeq's the man to ask there, but I've always believed that the series was canon..

But its more canon than the Godfather TV series at least... wink

Old Post May 31st, 2009 12:59 AM
Dr Will Hatch

I've never even heard of it, fortunatly.

Old Post May 31st, 2009 01:22 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Exactly. There wasn't one.

Old Post May 31st, 2009 02:33 AM
queeq
Chaos

An Indy canon? Never heard of it before. So all is included.

Old Post May 31st, 2009 12:21 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I still think its an okay film but yeah its nowhere on the level of quality of the other movies.

Old Post May 31st, 2009 12:54 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Agreed

Old Post Jun 1st, 2009 09:36 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Same here.

Its just not Indy grade.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2009 12:05 AM