KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Thrantas

Thrantas
Started by: Darth Daft

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Daft

Thrantas

I just noticed something recently. On Alderaan there are meant to be flying animals called Thrantas. They are huge and in Aldera City they carry around people on little carriages on their back.
Well in TPM, during the Battle of Naboo on the plains the Gungans were supposed to use "air whales," large flying beasts to battle with the Trade Federation STAPs. But the idea was soon scrapped.
Well I was thinking that the reason it may have been scrapped is because Lucas wanted to leave the idea for Episode 2 or 3 where a battle may take place on Alderaan. This would be because he could show us the Thrantas in action with warriors riding on top of them. What do you guys think?

Old Post Oct 29th, 2000 02:35 AM
Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

I think it sounds great..I wish we could have seen some concept sketches of the air whales..

Old Post Oct 29th, 2000 10:29 AM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

There were some in the Art of Episode 1 Book.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2000 04:28 PM
Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UnknownBountyHunter

I doubt Thrantas would be used in fighting. The "whales" as you mentioned could be made to fight on Alderaan. I mean, Thrantas are like dogs and cats, they are domesticated, and using them to fight is like getting yourself a guardparakeet.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2000 04:16 AM
Click here to Send UnknownBountyHunter a Private Message Find more posts by UnknownBountyHunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

Well even so, I'm sure they may have different trained Thrantas in their stables. Some they may train for basic transport and others they may train for fighting.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2000 05:13 AM
UnknownBountyHunter

Being a avian creature, Thrantas would be trained in hangars. stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 31st, 2000 05:34 AM
Click here to Send UnknownBountyHunter a Private Message Find more posts by UnknownBountyHunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

Sorry I'm not too good with animals. Even so, I still think its a good possibility that we will be seeing them. Why else would Lucas have removed the Whales from the Gungan Battle when they would have looked so good fighting against the STAPs?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2000 05:47 AM
UnknownBountyHunter

Yes...

You already said that, don't restate yourself, it gets boring. <you are not going to respond to this>

Old Post Oct 31st, 2000 06:34 AM
Dim
Creativity

Re: Yes...

You know...there were air whales in an anime series that used to be on MTV called The Maxx...

Old Post Nov 1st, 2000 07:40 PM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Then again, there is always the possibility that Lucas didn't like the idea of air whales anymore and abandoned the idea entirely. I wonder where these animals could play a role other than background creatures like the birds on Naboo.

queeq out

Old Post Nov 1st, 2000 11:08 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

I don't know why he wouldn't like the idea. It would look great for an action scene. Just imagine thousands of them flying through the air with the Gungans firing weapons while riding them. It would be good, coz it would make a change from starships flying through the air and fighting.
Perhaps the Gungans will use Air Whales and the Trade Federation, who may take over Alderaan somehow, will use Thrantas and then there'd be a battle between the two. You could imagine the two animals snapping each other as they fly past each other. But then again, there COULD also be starships and STAPs involved in the battle too.
That would make a cool battle, I think. All this different people flying through the air on different vehicles and animals in a HUGE battle in the skies.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2000 04:35 AM
queeq
Chaos

Oh no, not another Gungan battle and CGI deaths.

But then again, GL did it before.

queeq out

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2000 04:37 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

Well ok, maybe it would look like another Disney cartoon, but still, it wouldn't have to be a major battle. Just maybe something that pops up in the middle of the film for some sort of reason. Maybe with about the same sort of importance as the Bongo journey through the core. Action packed, but not anything too important to the storyline.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2000 05:27 AM
Dim
Creativity

I don't know....They don't really sound like fierce battle animals to me... I don't want to see some other sad clumsy animal put into the middle of a battle..that would just be sad.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2000 08:47 AM
Darth Daft

Well thrantas are quite slender and their eyes are white with no pupils, which I think looks pretty menacing. And as I've only seen concept art for the air whales I'm sure Lucasfilm art department / special effecs department could make them look a lot more aggresive than they previously looked.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2000 01:48 PM
queeq
Chaos

Maybe the have very ferocious droppings they can let go over strategically situated enemy buildings.

queeq out

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2000 10:38 PM
Darth Daft

Why yes, of course. Can't forget their poop can we? Speaking of weaponry, the animals could carry a number of different weapons that the riders would use. Spears, blasters, thermal detonators, Gungan energy balls, boulders and that sort of thing.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2000 04:04 AM
queeq
Chaos

So and where would these air whales live? Under water as well or do they just circle the skies? (I'm still not buying this though)
Maybe they are only carriers...

queeq out

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2000 04:44 AM
UnknownBountyHunter

queeq: That is exactly what I have been saying. Sorry but this whole "fighting" plot with the Thrantas just doesn't ring the bell with me, and I rather Lucas stick with the traditional domesticated terms for this species. I mean, we don't use cats, dogs, sheeps, boars, in advanced warfare, do we? I think not!

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2000 08:08 AM
Darth Daft

Maybe you're right, but its just a possibility to discuss. The reason we don't use cats and boars and sheep as warfare is basically because they are harmless to humans. But thrantas, large animals that can fly and carry humans, would make great use in a battle. Besides, perhaps people will sort of be forced to use them. Perhaps there are people already travelling on top of Thrantas and then a sudden invasion begins and they have no choice but to get out their blasters and fire at the enemy ship from the back of the thranta.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2000 06:37 AM