KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Names of the Nine Ringwraiths

Names of the Nine Ringwraiths
Started by: ZoSo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Rover

Names of the Nine Ringwraiths

What do you think?
This website has a good outlook on them:Encyclopedia of Arda=awesome!!

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 03:32 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

I know that site. Use it all the time. The Nazgul have no names. Any names you think you know are fics. Some are kinda cool though

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 03:33 AM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

This is what they say in the FAQ:
'What are the names of the Nazgul?

One of them, the second in rank after the Lord of the Nazgûl himself, was named Khamûl, and also known as the Black Easterling. This is the only one of the nine Nazgûl explicitly named by Tolkien.

This may come as a surprise if you've come across one of the many sources that list a set of names of the other eight: Murazor (the Witch-king himself), Dwar, Ji Indur, Akhorahil, Hoarmurath, Adunaphel, Ren and Uvatha. These names are common across the Web, and often have detailed biographies to go with them. They're also consistent with what Tolkien had to say about the origins of the Nazgûl: in the Akallabêth it is stated '...among those whom he ensnared with the Nine Rings three were great lords of Númenórean race', and indeed three of these names are Númenórean in form: Murazor, Akhorahil and Adunaphel.

None of these eight names, though, have their origins in Tolkien's own work. Instead, they come from a series of role-playing and trading card games produced by Iron Crown Enterprises. The names of Murazor, Dwar and the rest emerged from the unavoidable need for these games to develop and expand Tolkien's universe to meet the needs of the gaming fraternity. The games' popularity accounts for the regular appearance of the names, to the extent that they're now frequently presented as the 'true' names of the remaining eight Nazgûl.

Some readers have even suggested that these names are so widely accepted that they should be considered the de facto names for the eight otherwise unnamed Ringwraiths. On a personal level, or in the context of the games that spawned the names, this isn't an unreasonable approach: if Tolkien never told us the name of, say, the Witch-king, there seems little obvious harm in imagining that his name was originally Murazor (or anything else, for that matter). Things become a little more problematic where the names are published without explanation: we receive plenty of e-mail from puzzled readers trying to work out which of Tolkien's books the names come from (hence this entry in the FAQ).

As for The Encyclopedia of Arda, this site is very specifically aimed at exploring Tolkien's own works, so it really isn't appropriate to include names or biographical details that we know did not come from Tolkien himself. Indeed, the same principle applies to characters who appear only in the recent movies, so it's not our intention to provide entries for (say) Hoarmurath, Uvatha or - for that matter - Lurtz from Peter Jackson's movie of The Fellowship of the Ring.'

Interesting.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 03:35 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Discus amongst yourselves.
I am leaving for a Family Reunion on Thursday, and returning Monday.
Bye.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 03:39 AM
shadowy_blue

The names are interesting and awesome indeed, but they are just made up by some people and not exactly intended by Tolkien so...erm

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 04:28 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

They would be kings of men consumed by thier rings would they not?

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 04:44 AM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by Gorgoroth
Murazor (the Witch-king himself), Dwar, Ji Indur, Akhorahil, Hoarmurath, Adunaphel, Ren and Uvatha.

The only name of those I like is Murazor (aka Er-Mûrezôr);
Some of the others sound veryVERY fake, even for eastern languages - like for example Ji Indur, the Ji in the beginning sounds so absolutely like several other fantasy works, but not like Tolkien sad same goes for Hoarmurath (the oa).
Uvatha reminds me, personally, of Uvathar / Avathar, the Shadows, a part of Aman.

Adûnaphel, Akhorahil and Murazôr are indeed nice names though, using parts of the few known Númenórean words (Adûnaphel: Adûnakhôr and Zimraphel; Akhôrahil: Adûnakhôr, Adrahil (<Agrahil) / Zimrahil (<Zimraphêl) or Imrahil; Mûrazôr: Gimilzôr, Imrazôr, mûr might be the adûnacized word related to eldarin môr, morn "black, dark" like the Númenóreans also used qu. lóme in their language)
[not sure about the accents, il look them up no expression ]

Interestingly, those "númenórean Lords" must have lived before the Shadow really fell over Númenor; at that time, all the kings (and obviously their relatives) still used High-elven, not Adûnaic names.
But the others sounds too made-up erm

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 06:38 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thorondor
Love?

quote:
Originally posted by Gorgoroth
Dwar, Ji Indur, Akhorahil, Hoarmurath, Adunaphel, Ren and Uvatha

lol Star Wars names they sound like.

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 11:04 AM
Thorondor is currently offline Click here to Send Thorondor a Private Message Find more posts by Thorondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

I take that personally, Exa.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 11:09 AM
Thorondor
Love?

O.....k, it's not even you who wrote it but whatever.

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 11:12 AM
Thorondor is currently offline Click here to Send Thorondor a Private Message Find more posts by Thorondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

I also assumed there was Witchking and another one, and that was it....

Discos - I also assumed me and Thor was gonna be keeping the same bleeding sigs miffed:

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 11:26 AM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thorondor
Love?

meh i decided to change stick out tongue

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 11:38 AM
Discos
The Discmeister

(change it back)

but as (shadowy i think) said some of the names arnt even Tolkien's, its hard to know for sure unless it was printeed in a book

HoMe would be a good start to start asking questions smile

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 11:40 AM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thorondor
Love?

You could always ask George Lucas, he seems to know the names laughing out loud

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 11:49 AM
Flying High
Fly my Pretties Fly!!

hmmm.....didnt tolkien say wat the men's names were..or is that wot we r tryin 2 find out...either way im confused lol....

People keep disappearing and reappearing lol

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 12:18 PM
Flying High is currently offline Click here to Send Flying High a Private Message Find more posts by Flying High Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by Discos
but as (shadowy i think) said some of the names arnt even Tolkien's, its hard to know for sure unless it was printeed in a book

HoMe would be a good start to start asking questions smile

Except for Khamûl, they are all fanfiction and hence also dont occur in the HoME no expression
There's practically no more information about them except for the bits in LoTR and the Unf.Tales and some few lines in the History.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 12:43 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

hmm all i know is that ALan lee played one of them, when they were men.

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 12:55 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by fini
hmm all i know is that ALan lee played one of them, when they were men.

Yea, in the prologue, the one on the right side big grin I think somebody else from the team also played one of them confused

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 12:56 PM
Flying High
Fly my Pretties Fly!!

thats pretty cool big grin

People keep disappearing and reappearing lol

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 01:07 PM
Flying High is currently offline Click here to Send Flying High a Private Message Find more posts by Flying High Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote