KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Jack's Soul

Jack's Soul
Started by: savvysparrow

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
savvysparrow

Jack's Soul

I've been puzzling over this question for some time. Why is it that Davy Jones believes that one soul is not equal to another. In other words, why is it that Will's soul is not equal to Jack's. Why is it that Jack's soul is worth 100 souls?

Any one have any answers or a hypothesis? Is it a good thing that Jack's soul is worth 100 of other men's soul? Or does it mean that Jack is a particularly foul person?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 06:11 AM
savvysparrow is currently offline Click here to Send savvysparrow a Private Message Find more posts by savvysparrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
IheartPocky
Not a sausage..

Someone mentioned before about him saving 99 slaves and maybe that was why...

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 06:13 AM
IheartPocky is currently offline Click here to Send IheartPocky a Private Message Find more posts by IheartPocky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
savvysparrow

Now there's an interesting thought. But why? Did he offer his soul up to Davy Jones to save those slaves? I've heard rumors about the slave ship too, but the writers have said that any back story asscociated with the games is not the backstory for the movies.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 06:16 AM
savvysparrow is currently offline Click here to Send savvysparrow a Private Message Find more posts by savvysparrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tramps Lady
Blaine

because jack is unique in everyway possible? and so he's specialsmile lol

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 12:11 PM
Tramps Lady is currently offline Click here to Send Tramps Lady a Private Message Find more posts by Tramps Lady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Just a side note, Davy might believe men's souls are worth more than women's since Tia screwed him up as badly as she did. He's still really bitter about that and may blame all women for his problems.

Why is Jack's soul worth more than someone else's? Maybe Davy's a little tired of Jack always winning. Jack is worth more because Davy wants to capture him more.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 12:42 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

quote: (post)
Originally posted by savvysparrow
Now there's an interesting thought. But why? Did he offer his soul up to Davy Jones to save those slaves? I've heard rumors about the slave ship too, but the writers have said that any back story asscociated with the games is not the backstory for the movies.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................

Last edited by LovelyOne on Dec 5th, 2006 at 01:44 PM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 01:42 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladyofthesilent

Well, the information that Jack failed to complete an assignment for Beckett didn't come from a game but from the Disney website - and it seems certain that Jack worked for Beckett once (on KttC, someone claimed that in AWE, Beckett will offer Jack a job with the EITC again).

The question is: What's the assignment? The story with the slaves hasn't been confirmed, yet, but I still believe that the people living in Tia's swamp where there for some purpose.

BTW, I like the idea he actually freed 99 slaves and that's why his soul is worth 100 souls.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 01:48 PM
ladyofthesilent is currently offline Click here to Send ladyofthesilent a Private Message Find more posts by ladyofthesilent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SarahB

mmmmmmm

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 05:10 PM
SarahB is currently offline Click here to Send SarahB a Private Message Find more posts by SarahB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

could be anything. the number of times Jack has screwed jones (or fate) over, the number of times Jack has stolen someone's true love, the number of people who have been saved by Jack, the number of people after Jack, the number of dollars AWE will make if they dont give Jack the girl, etc...

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 05:50 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SarahB

the number of dollars AWE will make if they dont give Jack the girl, etc...- katelovespirates

lol nd A LOT more!!big grinbig grin

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 05:52 PM
SarahB is currently offline Click here to Send SarahB a Private Message Find more posts by SarahB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calypso

i'm with you KateLP

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 05:56 PM
calypso is currently offline Click here to Send calypso a Private Message Find more posts by calypso Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

heeheehee.... smile i love it when the fans use money as blackmail. lol

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 06:07 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
savvysparrow

quote: (post)
Originally posted by katelovespirate
could be anything. the number of times Jack has screwed jones (or fate) over, the number of times Jack has stolen someone's true love, the number of people who have been saved by Jack, the number of people after Jack, the number of dollars AWE will make if they dont give Jack the girl, etc...

Heh! That's pretty funny.

It could be anything, but what's the likely hypothesis. Is this their way of saying that there is more to Jack than meets the eye? It seemed like a positive thing initially because it means that Jack is not like an ordinary man. Also, I'll be honest, I'm surprised that Will's soul isn't worth as much. When you look at the two of them and compare their lives, and more importantly what it appears they've done with them, it doesn't seem as though Jack's soul would be worth 100 souls. Will's so naturally good that you'd think he'd be worth more.

So I think that illustrates the idea that there is much more to Jack than meets the eye.

Also, while we're on the subject, do you guys mind looking at that particular scene?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 07:39 PM
calypso

"...do you guys mind looking at that particular scene?"

In what way, or am I just confused by your question?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 07:47 PM
calypso is currently offline Click here to Send calypso a Private Message Find more posts by calypso Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
savvysparrow

The scene where Jack trades Will to Davy Jones. There's something important about the dialogue, and the method in which Jack trades him, but I can't figure it out.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 07:49 PM
katelovespirate

Jack is a pirate lord. he's got one of the pieces of eight-- the keys to unlocking Tia Dalma and turning her back into Calypso, making her more readily available to Jones. Jones also lost out to Jack when Tia and Jack had their fling. people have a way of making their enemies seem more powerful and dangerous and worth getting revenge against than they actually are.

I think the most likely of the above mentioned answers are the 99 slaves that Jack set free, since that was the reason he lost the pearl and made a deal with Jones to begin with.

That, and Jones finds himself in a great bargaining situation. He is cruel. He wants to inflict pain on as many people as possible. he names a ludicrous number and sticks with it. chances are, he just wants Jack. So naming an impossible number guarrantees he'll get Jack.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 07:49 PM
savvysparrow

Good point Kate. I suppose it doesn't have to mean anything, but does highlight the cruelty of Davy Jones.

Here's a question: Was Jones made into what he is because of his experience with Calypso, or was he that way already, and that experience exposed who he really is?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 07:51 PM
katelovespirate

no he was originally a good man, a good sailor. the purpose of having an immortal captain of the dutchman was to HELP sailor's to the locker, which was meant to be a kind of in-between place, not good or bad. so the role of the captain is essentially a good one--- he is helping sailors who have been lost at sea.

it was after Calypso made Jones captain that she dumped him, which then caused him to tear his heart out. He wouldnt have been able to do that before because he wasnt immortal. Once the heart was out, he became completely cruel. that's when the ship took on a sinister new meaning of slavery and the locker gained a bad rep as well.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 07:54 PM
katelovespirate

Add to above post:

Calypso was going to destroy Davy because she was so pissed he cut his heart out and ruined the purpose of the dutchman, but her anger was causing mass chaos in the oceans, so the pirate brethran gathered and imprisoned her in human form. So they took care of one problem, but then Jones couldnt be dealt with. im assuming the pirate brethran knew something about the chest and key, and were planning on gettng around to taking care of jones eventually.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 07:56 PM
savvysparrow

So if the heart is stabbed, do you think that means that Jones, and the rest of the crew aboard the Dutchman will share his fate?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2006 07:58 PM