KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Homosexuality: Chosen or Genetic?

Homosexuality: Chosen or Genetic?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, homosexuality is chosen 125 46.82%
No, homosexuality is not chosen, its genetic 108 40.45%
Undecided 34 12.73%
Total: 267 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Started by: Strangelove

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (324): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Well, the answer is obvious to me. Let's see what you think and then I'll pop in w/ my view later

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 04:25 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paola
Ronin

Both

by Scythe

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 04:28 AM
Paola is currently offline Click here to Send Paola a Private Message Find more posts by Paola Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HiddenPotential

Genetic?...
only if their born a hermaphrodite smile

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 06:36 AM
HiddenPotential is currently offline Click here to Send HiddenPotential a Private Message Find more posts by HiddenPotential Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It's not something that can be changed, so it's genetic.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 06:41 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Genetic of what? It is a feeling of affection and those cant be inherited.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 07:38 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Surgent
KMC's #1 Fake Mod

Exhibit A: A man sees an aesthetically pleasing woman and has an erection. That same man sees an aesthetically pleasing man, and has no reaction.

Exhibit B: A man sees an aesthetically pleasing man and has an erection. That same man sees an aesthetically pleasing woman, and has no reaction.

Neither man chose to be the way he is. Both were born that way, and they will die that way.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 07:45 AM
Darth Surgent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Surgent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Surgent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

c : the man get an erection on both males and females.

still feelings aint inherited familywise.
It is just nature of things

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 07:57 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

quote:
Originally posted by finti

Yeah, when I said genetic I meant it's something having to do with a chromosome in their brain which makes it impossible for them to decide if they are or aren't homosexual.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 08:03 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

yeah I gotcha, off course too late to edit the post though

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 08:29 AM
BackFire

Yeah, I should have made it a bit clearer

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 08:37 AM
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

Chosen or Genetic? your missing a very important vote option my friend. Just because it is not based upon genetics does not mean its a matter of personal choice. I do not believe that being a homo is either a choice or a genetic trait, but rather a matter of environmental influences. They are numerous things that can affect an individuals sexual preference and while not all homosexuals exhibit these traits there are certain things that make a person more likely to have trouble finding positive, meaningful relationships with the opposite sex, ie: maternal or paternal negligence, maternal or parental dominance (authoritarian influence) in the home, relationship between parents (abuse, separation, or divorce), relationships with adults as a child (molestation, abuse), or things like marching band, theatre club, or the high school wrestling team.

I stress that none of these above things I have listed definately makes someone gay. I know plenty of people that have had divorced or separated parents, or experienced abuse and they, for the most part, are no different from anyone other heterosexual. However the above list will affect a persons emotional development, including relations with members of both sexes and things like physical attraction.

While I know that some of those in the above list are stereotypes (i hope you can realize on your own that i am only joking about a few of them), there is still some half truth to some of those statements. While I am not argueing that those things will definately make you gay, I instead suggest that they are factors which affect individual character development, including such things as sexual preference.

This is written from the perspective of a heterosexual male, so if you disagree with me feel free to attack me on the grounds that I don't really know what makes a person gay. But I don't think gay people really know either. Some gay people perfer to say things like "I was born this way," but there is no isolated gay gene: By attributing homosexuality to their individual human nature is a cop out answer, because the idea of human nature is related to something genetic that makes us a certain way. It is much easier to believe that the relationships and situations encountered as a developing child has a larger impact upon forming relationships and creating a sexual identity than some certain genetic quality..... If it were a genetic trait the trait would die out in a few generations because if you have a genetic trait that makes you gay, there is no passing it along to your offspring, duh.... It may just be easier to attribute it to some broad, meaningless term than to question the possiblity that the was they are today is the result of somethigns that happened to them while being raised. I know that the gay community takes alot of crap already, if you add in personal crisis of identity you get a recipe for a kind of mental breakdown. The idea that someone chooses to be gay seems riddiculous to me too. I mean, they do dress snazzy, and have a superiour sense of style, and drive expensive european cars, but it still doesn't make sense to a purely hetero male. While I am niether gay, nor do i really know a lot of gay people personally, I have taken a couple of human psychology classes that examine the process of human character development. And based upon what I learned in class as well as what I've heard on talk shows like Love-Line I have come up with this explanation.

Someone let me know if I'm way off here.

Ytaker agreed with me once on October 9th, 2004

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 08:40 AM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HiddenPotential

Your on point, I agree

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 05:16 PM
HiddenPotential is currently offline Click here to Send HiddenPotential a Private Message Find more posts by HiddenPotential Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anth
The one and only

I agree with you, Turban-Cajun. Once again.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 05:17 PM
Anth is currently offline Click here to Send Anth a Private Message Find more posts by Anth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

as do I.

I was going to say that...but then i got down to your paragraph. embarrasment

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 05:21 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

Are there any gay people out there who can confirm or deny? I feel strongly about what I wrote, but I would like to hear from someone who swings that way if I am mostly correct or mostly incorrect.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 07:13 PM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

Genetic..
God i love these threads roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 07:15 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

Chosen. It all has to do with preference in the first place.

I had a conversation with a gay guy about what made him chose the aforementioned lifestyle. He said he preferred the sound of a mans groans.

You cannot really help who you like, love, etc. in the first place. It is chosen.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 07:20 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

As I said earlier, how do you inherit the homo gene? Gay people can't get pregnant that way...

As far as I know there isnt any evidence to support that claim.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 07:22 PM
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

quote:
Originally posted by Samurai Guy
Chosen. It all has to do with preference in the first place.

I had a conversation with a gay guy about what made him chose the aforementioned lifestyle. He said he preferred the sound of a mans groans.

You cannot really help who you like, love, etc. in the first place. It is chosen.

I would say that your choice to exercise your homosexuality is CHOSEN. Just like you can choose to be single or with someone (if they're willing)

But your sexual preference is something that is established through the environment you grow up in. It's a mix of values and culture...well...sort of.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 07:28 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alice_In_Chains
JUNKHEAD

quote:
Originally posted by finti

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 07:37 PM
Alice_In_Chains is currently offline Click here to Send Alice_In_Chains a Private Message Find more posts by Alice_In_Chains Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote