KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Robespierre Quote

Robespierre Quote
Started by: hh?

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Robespierre Quote

does anyone agree with this quote by Maximilean Robespierre.
"Liberty cannot be served until criminals lose their heads."

i dunno there are still some countries that are based on this math problem smile
steal + food/money= cut ur arm off.
i dunno i kinda agree with this. some people like the system that if u do the crime u pay the time. i dont think jail helps criminals. i actually like the old system. but not too harsh. Robespierre would send criminals too the giljotiini (please log in to view the image)
later on he was overthrown, arrested and sent to the gilijotin.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 07:12 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Complicated
but not really...

I think it's positively absurd. I don't believe in capital punishment. There is no penance for the wrongdoer - just extermination for the "innocent." I feel that anything which would permanently harm a criminal is wrong, as we are not telepathic and incapable of judging the mindset of the accused, regardless of the circumstances.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Never eat more than you can lift. - Miss Piggy

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mohandas Ghandi

Of what is great one must either be silent or speak with greatness. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 07:38 AM
Complicated is currently offline Click here to Send Complicated a Private Message Find more posts by Complicated Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hegemon875
Archvillain

I for one agree with Robespierre but not with the massacre that he was the cause of. Society needs punishment in order to exist. Without it there is no order and chaos ensues, but what kind of punishment. The law forbids "cruel and unusual punishment" but punishment by definition must be "unusual" and even "cruel" to a degree, so it's my belief that for punishment to be effective it must be HARSH! But also precise as possible, now of course no system is perfect so mistakes will be made but if lead by people who truly believe in fairness and justice (BIG if) capital punishment would be a great benefit to society.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 04:20 PM
Hegemon875 is currently offline Click here to Send Hegemon875 a Private Message Find more posts by Hegemon875 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

do you guyz think there ever will be a perfect system? i honestly dont.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 05:00 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Friend44

What do you do with a kid that steals bread to feed? Cutting his head would be wrong. I say, amputate his left leg - this way he can't run away if he steals again.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 05:11 PM
Friend44 is currently offline Click here to Send Friend44 a Private Message Find more posts by Friend44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

true true. but were their any witnesses when he stole the bread?

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 05:17 PM
Hegemon875
Archvillain

quote:
Originally posted by h0ck3yh0rr0r
do you guyz think there ever will be a perfect system? i honestly dont.

Perfection is such a subjective thing that it's impossible for everyone to agree when or if it is achieved.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 05:45 PM
Hegemon875 is currently offline Click here to Send Hegemon875 a Private Message Find more posts by Hegemon875 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

if nothing is perfect in the world, then y do people say practice makes it perfect...even if it doesn't... hmmm

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 06:14 PM
Hegemon875
Archvillain

I didn't say it doesn't exist, I said that it is subjective and people have different opinions on what is perfect.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 06:15 PM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

yes i know hegemon but i just made a statement. smile

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 06:39 PM
Hegemon875
Archvillain

O, ok I got ya wink
EDIT: BTW they probably say it to motivate you because who doesn't want to be perfect.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 06:40 PM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

k...

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 06:41 PM
Friend44

I think that if there are no witnesses and we can't prove the kid is guilty, we should only cut his leg to the knee down. Just to make sure an injustice isn't commited...

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 07:00 PM
Friend44 is currently offline Click here to Send Friend44 a Private Message Find more posts by Friend44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hegemon875
Archvillain

laughing

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 07:17 PM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

rofl

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 07:20 PM
Fire

I'd never agree to any kind of mutalation (sp) as a punishment. Don't believe in it,

as for a perfect system, NO like Hege said, Perfection is relative and subjective. and if it weren't for the perfect system in Practice we'd need Perfect people. Perfect in theory well personally I think Communism is almost perfect IN THEORY

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 08:13 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hegemon875
Archvillain

/\Agreed

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 09:03 PM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

its funny around my neighborhood, they let a prisoner out since he's been in the jail for about 20 years. once he came out he killed like 2 people. hmmm what u guyz think. does jail really help?

and yea fire is right. communism is ALMOST perfect.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 09:05 PM
Hegemon875
Archvillain

I don't see how it would, I mean you hold a criminal for a number of years and then let him go hoping he's changed. It doesn't make sense, I guess it must work enough of the time for it to still be in use but it is a huge drain on the economy and I don't think it's worth the cost.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 09:08 PM
Fire

Depends
Prison can help, however in most countries it only makes things worse, you need to give counsil to your criminals -don't just rob them of their freedom- try to find the source of their problem and deal with it. Also make sure that the ones that need Psychiatric help are NOT put in prison but in special Psychiatric facilities.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 09:10 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote