KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Are ideas immortal?

Are ideas immortal?
Started by: Storm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Are ideas immortal?

Will certain concepts in general, ones that do not depend on the physical world to exist, continue to exist forever? Will they continue to exist with the absence of the physical world or not?
Could it not be thought up in the imagination, thus existing within the conceptual mind? Or does existence purely rely on the relationship between the physical and mental worlds?

The basis of the question is an assumption that an idea can exist. So then what are the characteristics of existence?

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post May 11th, 2004 09:06 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I guess some ideas are immortal, that is if you mean within the particular species of the person/thing that had that idea. However, when that species dies then so does that idea, or most likely.

Old Post May 11th, 2004 09:15 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Even after every mind on earth was silenced, there would still be evidence left behind. But then this makes the assumption that the existence of a concept is contingent on someone to be aware of it.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post May 11th, 2004 09:19 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Well, some ideas will probably blindly repeat themselves even to other species that may inhabit this planet in the future or another planet.

Old Post May 11th, 2004 09:24 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
Well, some ideas will probably blindly repeat themselves even to other species that may inhabit this planet in the future or another planet.

like ... gain worldpower, I think that one is the best example of an immortal idea... lots of people in the past had the idea (and tried to get it true), lots of people have the idea and lots of people will have the idea

and as BF says... other planets...
I can guess that there will be aliens there that want it too

Old Post May 11th, 2004 11:22 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

ideas exist as long as there is creatures that can think about them

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post May 11th, 2004 12:17 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Line
Sarkz

Re: Are ideas immortal?

quote:
Originally posted by Storm
Will certain concepts in general, ones that do not depend on the physical world to exist, continue to exist forever?

I don't think so. I don't think an idea is an independent unit. It's the product of someone's mind, someone who's been moved and inspired by the surroundings (even lack of these, but even a lack indicates that something has existed/exists elsewhere).
Some ideas, like Yerssot's power-idea, might simply come down to genes, survival of the fittest and such.
It's been proven that some fairy tales are the same no matter what country we're in, that some tales are known by everybody, but I do think it has more to do with our physics, genes and drives, than actual immortal, independent ideas.

Old Post May 11th, 2004 02:02 PM
Line is currently offline Click here to Send Line a Private Message Find more posts by Line Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

wow Storm thats alot of mind aching questions there wink.

Ok first of all will ideas which don’t depend on the physical world to exist, continue to exist for forever?
Can they continue to exist with the absence of the physical world?
To tell the truth I don’t really fully understand the question but would the concept of mathematics continue to exist if there is nothing to apply it to. Would a can of Pepsi exist if there was no such thing as Pepsi? Could it not be thought up in our minds and imaginations, thus existing within our conceptual mind? Or does existence rely on the relationships between physical and imaginative worlds?
I believe some concepts are immortal and some are not.

Gosh that’s brought up more questions then answers then question, but that philosophy. smile

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post May 11th, 2004 03:38 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Re: Are ideas immortal?

quote:
Originally posted by Storm
Will certain concepts in general, ones that do not depend on the physical world to exist, continue to exist forever? Will they continue to exist with the absence of the physical world or not?
Could it not be thought up in the imagination, thus existing within the conceptual mind? Or does existence purely rely on the relationship between the physical and mental worlds?

The basis of the question is an assumption that an idea can exist. So then what are the characteristics of existence?

If the physical world ceases to exist, so will any ideas that were brought about by it. Imagination is a thing created by life, and so needs life to prolong its existence.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post May 11th, 2004 03:47 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

All ideas are immortal ... all that you have thought have has been done... or will be done ... unless it has to do with new technology... ever heard of history repeating itself... its not history... its ideals.

Old Post May 12th, 2004 12:28 AM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

And so thousands of years after Homo sapiens got self-aware, we’re still trying to figure out how it works – the mind big grin
Well, an idea can be in one persons mind or in the minds of several people. Since thoughts are electro-chemical signals the idea/thought needs a living vessel to survive, one capable of thinking the idea.
So – if there are no one alive to think the thought or the idea, the thought/idea ceases to exist.
If the idea/thought is written down/stored of course it can technically survive as long as the storage unit (paper, disk, HD what have you). But I wouldn’t say the idea was really surviving…
You need a mind to contemplate the CONTENT of the idea. My computer still refuses to KNOW what I mean, if I make a typo in google for example big grin

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post May 12th, 2004 02:43 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Yeah, absolutely agree with Omega. yesthumb up

There needs to be someone to think the idea, it cant just exist...by itself.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post May 28th, 2004 05:14 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

They're immortal as the person who thought of them.

Old Post May 28th, 2004 06:45 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

yup..the two are linked...u can't have ideas last forever without someone/something to "store" that idea "in"... if all physical evidence whatsoever of human presence on earth were to be wiped out, and another race come to inhabit this place, they would have no way of knowing our ideas...they wouldn't even know we existed...

Have fun||

Old Post May 28th, 2004 07:55 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Doesn't that concept link in somehow with the idea that when a tree is felled in a forest it only makes a sound if there is someone to hear it?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 01:01 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

No. The idea that if the tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound, of course it does. Sound has properties, its created by waves reguardless of whethere there is someone there to hear it or not.

Ideas, someone has to think of for them to exist. Ideas, have no physical properties of any kind.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 04:33 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Yeah, I know that Milla, my answer would have been the same as yours, but I was just trying to say that if there has to be someone to think the idea in order for it to exist, surely there would have to be someone to hear the sound, for it to exist. I'm just trying to look at it from another perspective, and surely ideas have properties also?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 04:35 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Ideas are a mental concept, not physical. But, of course, sound is a physical concept, not mental.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 04:41 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Exactly. Thats why if a tree does fall in a forest, and here is no one there, it will make a sound, but if someone with the idea dies, the idea will die with them. thumb up

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 04:42 PM
Syren
dreaming

OK, make me feel dumb, cheers stick out tongue

I get that, I was just trying to introduce another perspective yes

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 04:42 PM