KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Heroism

Heroism
Started by: G.P

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
G.P
living bank advertisement

Heroism

Well some of you know what studies I'm doing: I won't repeat it here, that would be too long. Among the subjects we have, there is a thing called "General knowledge". In my school it is divided in 2 subjects : French and Philosophy. As it is not a formal philosophical course, I have to deal with concepts that I hold as very interesting. I'd start with this one :

Heroism

Our work is basically to define the word and to find something paradoxical to start our reflection. I don't think that would be necessary here.

So... to start with, the hero was originally an intermediate state between man and god. He (it ?) draws this particularity from the energy he (it?) develop to achieve a goal or to go in some direction. Hence he could be driven by passion.

I was wondering if heroism wasn't after all the virtue of failure, for an act is heroic only if it is almost certainly impossible to achieve. So if the "hero" succeed, one can say it's luck, and if he fails, people would say that it is normal...

Old Post Jun 18th, 2004 04:17 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaleanae

If he fails is a tragic hero like Macbeth sad

Old Post Jun 21st, 2004 10:50 PM
Kaleanae is currently offline Click here to Send Kaleanae a Private Message Find more posts by Kaleanae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

What is considered heroism depends on a society' s values.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2004 03:32 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
5knuckleShuffle
Restricted

Account Restricted

our troops are true heros. now that heroism

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 06:44 AM
5knuckleShuffle is currently offline Click here to Send 5knuckleShuffle a Private Message Find more posts by 5knuckleShuffle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

It would be cool to die as a hero.Most army man are doing that we speak!JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 12:51 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
It would be cool to die as a hero.Most army man are doing that we speak
soldiers from both sides or......?

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 01:47 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Soldiers fall on the category of Warriors and not neccesary Heroes. A hero is willing to sacrifice him/her self for the greater good not just for his people. Just go watch Jet Li in Hero....great movie thumb up

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 03:38 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

so sacrifice youself for your people is not for the greater good?..........we are talking real life here not bloddy movies

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 04:14 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you were taking this TOO seriously.

Basically if a guy wants to sacrifice himself for his people it isn't very heroic. If the will of his people is to conquer and kill other people's lands it is not really the greater good. If the guy wants to unite all people for a greater good then that's really heroic. At least that's how I see it.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 05:11 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

not everyone fights an offensive war, defending the people and sacrificing your life doing it is heroic

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 05:13 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

^That I can agree with. To sacrifice your life to protect your own people is indeed heroic. But to engage in war because you have to conquer? Nah!

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 05:19 PM
finti

Norwegian constitution dont allow for Norwegian forces to be any other things than a defensive military forces (the name covering all the different military brances is DEFENCE), the fact that Norwegian special forces are deployed both in Afghanistan and Iraq is actually a violation of the Norwegian constitution, but what dont we do to suck up to the yanks

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 05:32 PM
frodo34x
^_^

Wow. Finti is user number 13. Useless fact over.

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 06:02 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Wow. Finti is user number 13. Useless fact over
huh?????

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 06:42 PM
frodo34x
^_^

Hover your cursor over your name. for finti you get http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...o&userid=13. From the getinfo&userid=13, I can tell you are the 13th member to join KMC.

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 14th, 2004 10:38 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

quote:
our troops are true heros. now that heroism

I disagree.

I believe heroism is giving of yourself to benefit others.......completely unselfishly. I would take a bullet for my wife......not to gain anything from it.......simply because I would never want her to be in pain. If I did so, I believe that would make me a hero to her as I gave of myself purely to benefit her.

Most soldiers do not give of themselves purely to benefit others. There are many reasons they become soldiers. The same can be said about police officers and fireman.

- many people become soldiers/police/fireman because they lack direction and believe these jobs will hold them over until they find a direction....provide them with money...provide them with experience........helping people is not the sole reason.

- many people become soldiers out of their own feeling of discontent. I myself know a person who enlisted in the army so he could go to Iraq and fight Saddam Hussein...........liberating the people of Iraq was not his main concern, although it was a bi-product.

I don't believe anything you are paid to do can be considered heroism. If it is part of your job........it is not heroic. Noble.......yes........but heroic no, as you are also gaining something.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 08:35 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

^good post but one more thing, there is no true heroism if you define it as being unselfish at any time. I belive ther is no unselfish deed everything someone does is selfish and he does it only for himself (kind of like Nietzsche if you know who that is)
So heroes in this definition do not exist.
And heroes in the old Greek definition as in people that did amazing deeds that are impossible to most humans, well I guess there arew some even though I can't think of any right now.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2004 02:36 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

quote:
I belive ther is no unselfish deed everything someone does is selfish and he does it only for himself (kind of like Nietzsche if you know who that is)

yes I know who he is......but I do not agree with that.

I believe there are many unselfish deeds we all do daily.......some mundane and every now and again one great enough to be considered heroic.

Something as small as changing your plans to make your wife happy is unselfish. If my wife loves to go to the theater (which she does).....and I despise it (which I do).........by saying, "ok honey, we'll go watch this play tonight" I am doing something completely unselfish.......something purely for her benefit. There is no reward for me........but I am giving something of myself (me time, my presence) for the sole reason of bringing her enjoyment. While not being heroic........the same would apply to larger situations, like my bullet analogy earlier.

It doesn't even need to be out of love. I've given money to homeless people before.......just so they can eat. This family used to hang out in front of Walmart......man, woman and two kids.........when I see those people and their children and give them a $20 to go to the McDonalds across the street it is completely unselfish. I didn't do it to make myself feel good........I actually didn't feel good about the situation at all. I couldn't pat myself on the back thinking I had done a good deed........all I could think about was those kids standing in the cold, not knowing when the last time they had eaten.....which saddened me. It was not done out of love.........more out of concern for other human beings and their well being.

There is this older homeless woman who rides around town on her bike (well did, havn't seen her in a long time). About three years ago I found her asleep on the bench outside of my work.........without shoes. I knew the shoes I was wearing at the time weren't that great (just old tennis shoes I throw on to drive to work in, where I change into my work shoes) but figured she would appreciate them much more than I. I sat them down on the bench next to her bag she was using as a pillow. I figured sure, they may be too big for her but they'd keep her feet alot warmer than those socks she was wearing.....and I have many shoes at home. Again, it wasn't to make myself feel good.......it's impossible to feel good at all when you see someone like that.......but it was giving something purely for someone else's benefit, I gained nothing.

I do understand what you're saying.......I just don't agree. I know alot of people just walk around minding their own business but I can't help but to help someone a little when I see the chance. I'm not really a great humanitarian.......I donate to one charity and that's it....but when you see a real person in a bad situation and you can help, you do it...even if you can only help a little. If every person did so that homeless woman wouldn't need to be so worried about being cold......and her shoes wearing out....or her clothes getting holes in them. I may be in the minority (judging by others at work laughing at me) but people seem to look past others and not see them as human beings..............whereas I thinks it crap that I have 6 pair of shoes I wear regularly, a couple pair of boots, shoes I wear strictly to mow the lawn in, shoes I wear strictly to work and a pile of old shoes in the closet that I don't even wear anymore........and this woman is sleeping in the cold with no shoes at all.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2004 03:02 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Well I accept your view, mine is just different.
well maybe I am indolent or just plain bad but I belive that there are only selfish deeds. For examplöe me driving my brother somewhere doesn't help me on the first sight and however I would like to think that was nice of me and unselfish after all it wasn't, i did it for many reasons, to feel good since somehow my conscience would make me feel bad or just to avoid being seen as a bad person or get into an arguement with my brother and my mom or whatever.
And I hope you understand that I don't want to say that you are a bad person or only think about yourself (I guess I am kind of implying that) but that when you for example give someone something you do it because you like this alternative more then not giving something, same with the bullet you yourself think your life wouldn't be worth to live anymore or even worse and so you jump between a bullet and your wive cause it suits you more than the alternative.
But I know most people disagree and since you know aboot Nietzsche you probably thought aboot that before and decided for yourself that it is not wwhat you belive and don't want to tell you that you are wrong or anything just that I believe sth. else.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2004 03:13 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I don't want to derail the topic with this comment, but in reality giving money to a homeless guy in the street isn't really an act of heroism. If you want to go philosophical it could be a bad thing. Because what you're doing is making those people more dependant of others. They will never get out of their problems and they will always depent from help of others. Life is about getting on your own two feet and fight to survive. This is a Dog eat Dog world and helping someone is a good thing, but the problem is that is just makes them dependent and that's really not an act of heroism. People have to be independent and pull their own weight and suck it up and live.

As for Nietzsche...I wouldn't pay too much attention to him. Great writer and superb pessamist but his philosophy is base on Master and slavery and that for me is rather old fashion. Besides he was a nut and die in an assylum so I don't trust his works. I go with Jean-Paule Sartre rather than Nietzche.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2004 07:26 PM