KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » The Use Of Doxological Language in Theology

The Use Of Doxological Language in Theology
Started by: CherryWings

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CherryWings
I See Hell In Your Eyes

The Use Of Doxological Language in Theology

Personally I dont believe in a 'God' per se, but i thought these questions were interesting, so here ya go:

What can be said concerning God?
Can language describe God?

http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63016104

Old Post Jul 11th, 2004 09:25 PM
CherryWings is currently offline Click here to Send CherryWings a Private Message Find more posts by CherryWings Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CherryWings
I See Hell In Your Eyes

(I thought it'd be interesting for those of you who DO believe in God - i meant)

Old Post Jul 11th, 2004 09:26 PM
CherryWings is currently offline Click here to Send CherryWings a Private Message Find more posts by CherryWings Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

I'm not sure what other kind of theological language you'd have...but,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the second question, can you narrow it a little, or is it intentionally open-ended: if so what do you understand by it?

Have you read Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit?

Old Post Jul 11th, 2004 09:30 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CherryWings
I See Hell In Your Eyes

I meant like - the need for, and use of.

to be more specific. lol

and its deliberately open ended for discussion, like, do u think that our words are 'great' enough to desribe him, ie do u think that words that mortals created are to lowly?

and no i havnt. what is it? coz like i sed, i dont believe in god, i just thought the questions would be interesting for others who do.

But if its v interesting i mite go find it. i like to read, and im takin theology and philosophy at college reading

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 05:25 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

You may come across it studying philosophy, but it's really high level, it's a struggle to be honest.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 06:12 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

My opinion on God (being someone who believes in SOMETHING, not to say it's one God or many) is that if anything, it just oversees stuff.

By that I mean, take the age old theory that God created everything. It obviously did it for a reason. In my opinion the most realistic is that it created MULTIPLE forms of life many distances away from one another, galaxies apart. So that it could see how each of them evolve and use their newly evolved free thought.

We have used ours to better ourselves continuously from our fellow man, for example. While admittedly creating and discovering some great things. Literature and art for example.

So, if it created us just to see how we act on our own, I don't see how people think he could possibly intervene with life on Earth.

"If God exists why doesn't he end world hunger and war."

My answer to that would be that if it does exists, it created us (if it did) for the purpose of seeing how we'd do on our own. No point in doing it if it wanted to just have puppets. I mean if it's powerful enough to create everything in the first place then it could easily create a perfect world.

That is my opinion to what can be said about God in general provided it exists and did infact create all that is.

I believe language isn't necessarily used by God if there is one. However I believe it created different languages amongst each race (Humans: English, Spanish and all the other languages) to see how we'd first of all interact with each other and then maybe if it gets that far, the other races in other Galaxies. Who knows.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jul 13th, 2004 at 06:55 PM

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 06:52 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CherryWings
I See Hell In Your Eyes

Lol, no1!

Does n e 1 think that there's some1 that knows everything? Like, all the secrets of the universe?

Old Post Jul 15th, 2004 05:17 PM
yerssot

Re: The Use Of Doxological Language in Theology

quote:
Originally posted by CherryWings
Can language describe God?

Wittgenstein: Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen (Tract., 7)

Old Post Jul 15th, 2004 06:21 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 05:55 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I like that Wittgenstein quote, actually.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 11:12 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CherryWings
I See Hell In Your Eyes

*runs off to the free translator*

yeh that is good. v profound

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 10:43 PM