KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is the greatest symbol of freedom on Earth?

What is the greatest symbol of freedom on Earth?
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ash007
Strength and Honour

Question What is the greatest symbol of freedom on Earth?

What do you'll view as the greatest symbol of freedom?

Is it a symbol such as the World Trade centre, is is more artistic such as the Statue of liberty, is it spirtual like the Buddha, is it the voting booth? A person, the face of MLK? Relgious tolerance? Sexual freedom? I appreciate some of these are harder to symbolise

Or is it something which symbolises a variety of freedoms such as the Amercian Flag, or maybe the British wink

I have been thinking about this for a couple of hours and am genuinly stuck??

It is really a touch question to ask, but I would love to hear your opinions, i think it could be quite interesting.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 05:00 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

freedom is bull shit...there is no freedom in my opinion.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 05:06 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

please go on

why do you think there is no freedom

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 05:17 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

well in my opinion...

nature gave us the elements...and most are all on sale...for example...water...i think water should be free smile its nature given. and i dont believe in money...we should go back to the barter system...trading things.. yes

actually i dunnno what im saying laughing im a bit tired at this moment

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 05:21 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by ash007
Or is it something which symbolises a variety of freedoms such as the Amercian Flag, or maybe the British

... in my opinion, that represents rather the contrary of freedom erm flags mean being bound, to opinions, customs, laws, regions, political ideas, whatever; and especially national flags kinda hurt the greatest freedoms, like individuality, choice and independance no expression

The typical symbol for freedom is imo a bird... not an eagle or some other proud and as symbols selfoverestimating bird, but just a normal, free bird, being able to fly away, take off and leave... or wings in general, they represent everything that is for me connected to freedom.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 05:51 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

once again, in my opinion nothing is free...not even a bird. it has enemies...it has predators...it gets eaten...it loses the freedom of not getting eaten

ok im too tired..i hope that made sense laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 05:55 PM
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by HockeyHorror
once again, in my opinion nothing is free...not even a bird. it has enemies...it has predators...it gets eaten...it loses the freedom of not getting eaten

It does make sense, and I also agree with that; I don't believe in real freedom, it just - can't work.
That's why I was not saying that birds are free, but just that wings are symbols of freedom, which imo they are, regardless of the fact that for their owners they don't really mean freedom but just a lot more possibilites to be eaten...

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 06:08 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

indeed mmm exabyte you are right the greatest symbol of freedom is not a flag, nor anything bearing one.

That is all I can tell you because there is nothing truely free. All things are in danger or constrained.

Speaking personally, sleep is the most liberationg ting in the world, though it does have to end

smile

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 06:09 PM
shaber
schizoid

Real freedom could work; in a utopia Happy Dance Wished I lived in one sad

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 06:09 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
Real freedom could work; in a utopia Happy Dance Wished I lived in one sad

In any sort of society, utopian or not, there have to be rules. In fact, you'd probably be less free in a utopea than in other places, since a perfect society couldn't spring up without strict regulation.

Freedom, the way people seem to be defining it here, would be nothing less than anarky. God save us from such freedom.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 06:19 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

A "utopia" means a "no place" ie somewhere so idealised that it cannot possibly exist - within reality

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 06:21 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

The greatest symbol of freedom to me is to have a choice wetter it is about elections/voting or everyday ordinary decisions.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 06:55 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

quote:

ok im too tired..i hope that made sense laughing out loud

That is conceptually stretching 'freedom' into a reductio ad absurdum. By implication, by being 'free', then, it would lose the freedom to be hunted, and eaten.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 10:56 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

there is no freedom

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 11:05 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

to use symols as an interpretation of freedom is absolutely ludicrous and in some sense beyond comprehension...if one must use such an artifice to symbolize and abstract invention is deluding themselves...

freedom is not about choice or lack thereof, nor is it about one's rights or moral standing...freedom like hope is anathema to each and every individual...realistically, the two can be somewhat be liken to sand grasped in ones hands, yet eventually it will inevitably slip between our fingers...

the greatest symbol if one must need one to represent freedom is: denial...

Old Post Aug 6th, 2004 07:02 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

quote:
freedom is bull shit...there is no freedom in my opinion.

I wish I could give credit where it is due, however the speaker escapes me.

"You are free to do whatever they let you do."

There is no such thing as freedom. Should true freedom exist, we would have anarchy. And we all know that anarchy cannot thrive as a form of general form of existance... look at the "Do What You Feel Like" Episode of the Simpsons.

Anarchy is a good idea, but there are too many bad intentions in the human mind to allow nothing to go unpunished. And freedom can not exist unless everything is permitted. A vicious cycle, if you will.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2004 07:56 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

Papa John's Pizza....with all 3 dipping sauces! yes

Old Post Aug 6th, 2004 08:09 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious

I stand corrected.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2004 08:33 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious

OOooh yeah! big grin

Old Post Aug 6th, 2004 09:45 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

The closest thing to real freedom? Flying a kite on a beach on a sunny day with your kids.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 08:36 AM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote