KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » If we time-travelled and changed things, would the outcome be worse?

If we time-travelled and changed things, would the outcome be worse?
Started by: BlackC@t

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

If we time-travelled and changed things, would the outcome be worse?

Sorry mods, I didn't know if this belongs in the GDF or the philosophy forum.

I think it would, it's like when you throw a stone into a pond, the small object creates big ripples.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 10:07 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I think this is to much of a hypotesys

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 10:26 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Hypotesys? that's not in my dictionary no expression

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 10:30 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

the word's prolly written incorrect
lemme see if I can find the decent spelling

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 10:31 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

hypothesis

close enough

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 10:34 AM
yerssot

IF it is possible (but that's not the point of discussion here)

it has been a said a few times you still have two options left then:

1. you could try and kill your dad, grandfather, ... (or on mothers side too of course) but just when you try to pull the trigger, the mechanism fails and you can't change anything in the world anymore and everything stays the same

or

2. you can change stuff and in that case, it can be dramatic... what if you kill someone and later it looks like his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchild will bring worldpeace or something?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 10:54 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

It's much like the movie The Butterfly Effect. Change one thing in history, change everything today. The movie A Sound of Thunder is all about that

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 05:19 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

I like the ripple idea, but I don't think changing a small thing would neccessarily change the world.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 09:34 PM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

I don't think it would change the world either, but it could change your life and the life of your loved ones.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 09:53 PM
Cipher
Non-Entity

Yeah, it depends on what you do, I guess. Like if you saved a relative who was killed in an accident, how would things be different?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 10:00 PM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Maybe during the process of saving them, you'd get seriously injured or someone else you know would end up dead. I don't really know what would happen, but psychologists say that if we time-travelled and changed something then the outcome would not be quiet what we expected.......

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 12:27 AM
carnival_junkie
God

Re: If we time-travelled and changed things, would the outcome be worse?

quote:
Originally posted by BlackC@t
Sorry mods, I didn't know if this belongs in the GDF or the philosophy forum.

I think it would, it's like when you throw a stone into a pond, the small object creates big ripples.

someone REALLY likes the butterfly effect...

but anyway. it all depends on what you changed.

I have no speech, no name. I live in the action of death, blood cry and the penetrating wound. I am destruction. Absolute and alone.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 02:08 AM
carnival_junkie is currently offline Click here to Send carnival_junkie a Private Message Find more posts by carnival_junkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

What do you mean IF??

People from about 150 years in the future have already gone back in time and 'changed' the past.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 08:15 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

Wha? How do you know? Did you meet them or are you one of them?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 09:33 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

I will be one of them eventually, and I recieved a message from my future self that i made in the past.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 09:40 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

You're going to live that long? Guess you take good care of yourself, huh?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 09:58 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

Well, they could stop off on their way back through time to pick me up before i get too old big grin

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:02 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

And they went back in time thousands of years to make the local people worship them like gods and make the locals be their slaves and have pyramids built for themselves and stuff like that.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:07 AM
Cipher
Non-Entity

That's true.....

They must have futuristic PDAs to keep track of where and when they need to be.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:07 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

And then they can have all of the local woman for themselves big grinbig grinbig grin

They only have to find an area that they have proved did not contain any ancestors of the people in the modern world, and then they can do whatever they like and get away with it, as their futuristic technology will be able to cover it up. Like when they get bored, they can just move out and nuke the area, leaving no evidence of their existance there

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:10 AM