KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Could this be possible?

Could this be possible?
Started by: frodo34x

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
frodo34x
^_^

Question Could this be possible?

First of all, this situation is assuming that time travel is possible.

If you created a time machine, then travelled back a short while, could you destroy the machine you were creating? When you destroyed it, you would never have gone back in time to destroy it. Which would mean that it would still exist. Which means you would go back in time etc.

What do you think would happen?

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 04:18 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

if you destroyed it then it wouldnt have existed for you to use it, therefore the whole incident would be erased.

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 04:31 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

but then, if you couldnt have used it to travel back, it wouldnt have been destroyed
which means you would travel back to destroy it
which means it didnt exist but it must have and now my brain is melting

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 04:32 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Filth

Simply by traveling back in time you would course a paradox but that aside if you destroyed the time machine you would destroy your self and time its self.

On a side not albert instine proved that time travel would only be possible if you could travel the speed of light, he also proved that traveling at light speed is imposable

Dead on the inside and dieing on the outside...

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 04:49 PM
Filth is currently offline Click here to Send Filth a Private Message Find more posts by Filth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

It's always been my belief that if you went back in time, you couldn't actually change anything. You could do stuff, and what you did would effect how things happen, but you couldn't actually change anything, because by the time you go back in time, you've already made all the changes you're going to make. Don't know if I explained that very well.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 07:04 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

You did stick out tongue

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 07:13 PM
peterKSL
In a different dimension

I have a theory of "time travel" but not really time travel because it won't affect the past, at all.... that of SUBSTITUTION of oneself instead of real time travel... some technology that can process the thoughts of memories into virtuality(might be created in the future) since technology is advancing so quickly as everyone expected...

Feel me not.. See me not.. I'm just an illusion..

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 07:23 PM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

Re: Could this be possible?

quote:
Originally posted by frodo34x

If you created a time machine, then travelled back a short while, could you destroy the machine you were creating? When you destroyed it, you would never have gone back in time to destroy it. Which would mean that it would still exist. Which means you would go back in time etc.

well..first of all...just by considering that time travel is possible, you jump over the very arguments that would solve this kind of situations.
that is why time travell is theoretically impossible...YET. period

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 07:56 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes it is. You need to go 88mph in a Delorian

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 08:21 PM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

err..wait..how old did you say you guyz were? wink

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 08:26 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

No Slipknot is right, it works that way.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 08:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

quote:
On a side not albert instine proved that time travel would only be possible if you could travel the speed of light, he also proved that traveling at light speed is imposable

completely incorrect. ........for two reasons.

1. It's theory.....nothing has been proven.......there may be umpteen other methods of time travel never imagined.

2. It would only apply to travel to the past. Travel to the future is scientific fact. It does not concern the speed of light. We humans have already traveled seconds into the future. I suggest you do some reading on the subject. Time is relative. All that is needed for forward travel is the means to move a great deal faster than those around you........which has been done numerous times on space missions and even coast to coast flights......albeit only fractions of a second instead of the seconds of time travel gained from space flight.

p.s.

I don't believe in time travel to the past. no such thing. there is no past.......the past became the present. I am sitting here in my computer chair in 2004.........this prevents the lump of mass known to you as Evil Dead from existing anywhere else, any time else. The way you speak of time is an illusion. Year, day, month, etc........not real. Those are simply man made units of measurement to place events in sequential order. In the natural world, time is merely a dimension that prevents two pieces of matter from co-occupying the same coordinate of space.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 04:14 AM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
frodo34x
^_^

If we could travel back in time, we would be overrun by time travel tourists.

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 12:45 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

quote:
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Yes it is. You need to go 88mph in a Delorian

Dont forget your hoverboard laughing out loud

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 03:58 PM
Napalm is currently offline Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miahera
Platinum Card Member

Re: Could this be possible?

quote:
Originally posted by frodo34x

big grin you almost described the Grandfather paradox. this theory basically says that by cancelling out an event in the past that would impact your life in the future, you will not exist doing it. ah the confusion. "did you make a time machine?" "I thought I did but I guess not." laughing

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 10:14 AM
miahera is currently offline Click here to Send miahera a Private Message Find more posts by miahera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

haha... miahera you watch too much movies...but you are quite right... As far as I know, we are living in a world of possibilities, and I'm quite sure that as long as we have a choice to make, every little things can change the future...

Feel me not.. See me not.. I'm just an illusion..

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 05:57 PM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

if you went back in time and killed your own grandfather, you could still exist, but you would just need to become your own grandfather

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 09:10 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
Originally posted by Filth
Simply by traveling back in time you would course a paradox but that aside if you destroyed the time machine you would destroy your self and time its self.

No, he said that it requires a near infinite source of energy. If the universe is multidimensional (at least 4) Then you can get an unlimited source of energy. No matter how many 3D cuts you took one, it would still be the same size. As soon as we are able to breach the dimensional walls, we can exceed the speed of light.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 12:19 AM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miahera
Platinum Card Member

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches
if you went back in time and killed your own grandfather, you could still exist, but you would just need to become your own grandfather

stick out tongue don't take that paradox name literally. they made a song on that: "I'm my own grandpa." anyhow, if the grandfather is blood related and got killed off, you will not exist - there might be a substitute in your stead like grandma marrying someone else and having kids.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 12:38 AM
miahera is currently offline Click here to Send miahera a Private Message Find more posts by miahera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moviejunkie23

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches

dude are you serios man laughing
that specific sperm that made it to your grandma and made it to that specific egg are you saying you would prduce that exact same sperm?
I am not even going to mention the fact that the offspring of them made specific decisions resulting in your birth depending on decisions on how they raised your parent. If you alter how they were raised you are also altering the possibility of that offspring meeting their mate that produced you.

I think rather what would happen in my opinion is that if you somehow went back in time and killed your grandpa you would exist because you are just specific physical matter that was able to warp itself into a previos place in the past. though the future of the world you are in now your birth will never happen.

but thats just fun talk

i agree with ED time travel to the past is nonsense.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 12:54 AM
moviejunkie23 is currently offline Click here to Send moviejunkie23 a Private Message Find more posts by moviejunkie23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote