KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » what's bigger?

what is bigger
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
infinity 0 0%
eternity 5 62.50%
none of them exist 3 37.50%
Total: 8 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

what's bigger?
Started by: eleveninches

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eleveninches
God of my own world

what's bigger?

What's bigger:
Infinity or Eternity.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 09:57 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moviejunkie23

infinite means something that is never ending. eternity means time that doesn't end. so its just infinity plus time equals eternity

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 12:06 AM
moviejunkie23 is currently offline Click here to Send moviejunkie23 a Private Message Find more posts by moviejunkie23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

Issac Asimov did a book on this

He called it " The End Of Eternity". A group of time travellers called the eternals monitored 70000 centuries. They changed it to increase the average human happiness; for instance they removed part of a politicians car to stop a war. When it ended, Infinity began.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 12:12 AM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miahera
Platinum Card Member

the word of eternity can mean just a long time like, "it's taking an eternity for that darn taxi to come!" big grin otherwise, I see them basically the same.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 12:31 AM
miahera is currently offline Click here to Send miahera a Private Message Find more posts by miahera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

infinity can mean the same
"damn he got an infinite3 amoubnt of money"
or something.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 09:57 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

eternity is an infinite amount of time.
But in reality, infinity doesnt exist except as an imagnary concept. If there was something that was infinite, then there is a paradox that occurs.
Lets say that object A is 2 metres long, and object B is 2000 metres long. If object C was an infinite number of metres long, then object A would be the same percentage of object C as object B is of object C. This would mean that (for the infinite object), object A and object B are the same length, which clearly is not true, as object B is 1000 times the length of object A.
Therefore, finite things cannot exist inside an infinite thing

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 11:10 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

you can gain an infinity during eternity
so eternity

and no, i don't know what do i mean

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 05:05 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches
eternity is an infinite amount of time.

That's good. I had to read that one sentence twice before it clicked embarrasment

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 05:28 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

Eternity = time without end
Infinity = Greater than any fixed counting number

so they can not be compared as one is for time and the other is for numbers, objects etc.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 05:38 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

but they are both imaginary concepts, as there are finite amounts of time, and no finite things can exist within an infinite thing

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 10:26 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Eternity and infinity are similar in that they are both ‘endless’ but eternity alone bears the distinction of being beginning less as well.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 07:37 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Infinity cannot exist within a universe that has finate amounts of other things. It is a human concept that is often confused with an unlimited number.

Infinity >> Unlimited number

Infinity is by definition bigger than any number, so normal number methods and arithmatic should not apply to it.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 10:49 PM
Bardock42

I wonder why no one tsaid that yet.
MY PENIS
I am sorry that was off topic but the question just wanted that answer.
So you people may go on now.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 11:33 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Infinity = Space
Eternity = Time

Time does not = Space
Therefore
you cannot compare Infinity to Eternity.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 05:38 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carnival_junkie
God

so...

where is the "your mom" selection?
i failed to see that as an option in this poll.

I have no speech, no name. I live in the action of death, blood cry and the penetrating wound. I am destruction. Absolute and alone.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 09:25 PM
carnival_junkie is currently offline Click here to Send carnival_junkie a Private Message Find more posts by carnival_junkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

actually, eternity is just an infinite amount of time, but infinite itself is not bound by nething, it could be time, space, apples, oranges, babes, movies, numbers or nethin. thas y infinite is greater

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 10:04 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Infinity = Space
Eternity = Time

Time does not = Space
Therefore
you cannot compare Infinity to Eternity.

"In infinity years, infinity monkeys, working on infinity keyboards, would write the java code for HL3"

Infinity just means limitless fowards or backwards (in the future, past, and at both "ends" of a ruler). It isn't confined to time. It's also impossible for it to be in existence other than in mathematics:
Suppose I had infinity chocolate coins and I gave you all of them. You would have infinity, I would have none.
Suppose I gave you all the primes; you would have infinity chocolate coins, and so would I.
Suppose I gave you all the ones above twenty, I would have twenty and you would have none.
In the first, infinity-infinity=0. In the second, infinity-infinity=infinity, in the third, infinity-infinity=20.

Eternity means endless time. You might say "I'll love you for all eternity" or "I was waiting in the dentist's office for an eternity" (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/211559). It pertains to an endless future. This is likely and possible.

Eternity is long, infinity is equally long (infinite future AND past)

Old Post Jan 8th, 2005 12:21 AM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

quote:
Originally posted by Ytaker
Infinity just means limitless fowards or backwards (in the future, past, and at both "ends" of a ruler).

I disagree. Infinity is forward limited imo. An infinite amount of chocolate coins but started from one.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2005 06:30 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I have to agree with Storm

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jan 8th, 2005 06:36 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

actually, infinite has no beginning and no end

and y do u confine infinity to just space

Old Post Jan 8th, 2005 10:53 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote