KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » In defence of Arrogance

In defence of Arrogance
Started by: Philosophicus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

In defence of Arrogance

Some individuals in this forum accuse me of arrogance. What follows here is a defence of arrogance and an attempt to clear the irrational stigma attached to arrogance.

The following is Nietzsche's philosophy of the "Superman" briefly described here by Kelley L. Ross, Ph.D. This clearly shows that Nietzsche advocates arrogance, egoism, violence, etc.:

"Nietzsche's replacement for God is the Übermensch. This was originally translated "Superman". The Superman, indeed, is supposed to be the next evolutionary step beyond mere man -- where we really must say "man," and not "humanity" or any of the politically correct alternatives, since Nietzsche was not very interested in women and clearly despised the sort of liberal culture where equality for women was coming to hand. When Nietzsche says "man" (Mensch), he means it -- someone egotistical, brawling, aggressive, arrogant, insensitive. The Superman is not vulnerable to taming and domesticity. He has broken free of it entirely.

The Superman is free because all his own values flow from his own will. Value is a matter of decision, a matter of will. Because the Superman is free, he takes what he wants and does what he likes. He is authentic. And since what everyone really wants, if they could have their way, is power, the Superman will seize power without remorse, regret, or apology."

Some more quotes by Nietzsche which carries his approval of arrogance:

"Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior. "

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."

"He that humbleth himself wishes to be exalted." - this one is exactly what I said in the Thread: Arrogance, a definition and a philosophical response:
quote:
Originally posted by Philosophicus
Arrogance (n) : overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward percieved inferiors - in other words, arrogance can also apply to an instance when someone is overbearingly proud about his/her most humble behaviour and in thinking how much more humble he/she is compared to the inferior others with arrogance. Arrogance is simply a view of one's self inwhich you think higher of yourself in a certain respect - as in: "I have accomplished more self-depreciation than you have, whaaa!"

Socrates was arrogant himself when he said: "I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing."

Because, there is arrogance in utter self-depreciation, just like altruism is selfishness at bottom: it's attention-seeking in essence - it's a sort of exhibition of "wow, look how humble I am!"

Seriously, what is wrong with arrogance? Isn't it just an expression of one's own strong beliefs and passions? Just imagine how pathetic the world would have been if everyone was just so scared to offend others or to feel superior over their competitors. All truly great things came into the world by violent, remorseless revolutions!

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 09:16 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Arrogance is as much an aspect of aggression as it is of pretension, which is unwarranted pride. An arrogant person is not merely unjustifiably confident in their own ability and value, but one actively seeking to cow or belittle other "lesser" people in order to achieve their ends.

Arrogant people come across like there’ s nothing else to learn, while there’ s a positive, open attitude that comes with confidence. The confident person is willing to try anything, work hard and learn. Arrogance is usually met with anger, hostility and distrust.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 09:51 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

I disagree with your view on arrogance, and do you think Nietzsche, one of the greatest philosophers, didn't know what he was talking about?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:37 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

quote:
Originally posted by Philosophicus
There are no facts - only opinions/interpretations - Nietzsche

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:39 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

You only quoted something - where's your opinion?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:42 AM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Nietzsche wasn' t infallible.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:50 AM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

So, do you think you are infallable? You have just proven the non-existence of fact by displaying your own opinion about arrogance - a proof that the world is made up of interpretations.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:53 AM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

No one is infallible. I never stated that how I see arrogance was a fact nor denied that it was merely an interpretation.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:57 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

No one is infallable. (exept me) wink

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:57 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Storm - In other words it might be your fallable side speaking now?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:59 AM
Fire

IMO there never ever was a need for arrogance

Seriously, what is wrong with arrogance? Isn't it just an expression of one's own strong beliefs and passions?

NO it isn't arrogance is believing you are better than other people and rubbing it in their faces.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Last edited by Fire on Jan 17th, 2005 at 11:05 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 11:01 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Is this how you counter a reply, by stating that a member' s fallible side might be speaking? Once again, you' re implying that only you hold the truth.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 11:07 AM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

What is the value or meaning of having an opinion/belief if one does not have a firm belief that one is right and others are wrong?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 11:44 AM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

But some refuse to take other opinions into consideration, rejecting everything form the first word while others keep every possibility open.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 12:45 PM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's the difference between greatness and goodness. Greatness is to follow your own heart, form your own original, unique thoughts, art, etc. without having being influenced by someone else. We should strive to be original.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 12:57 PM
Fire

Even the greatest people were inspired by and listened to others

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 02:45 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, but they listened to and was inspired by other Great figures in history.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 02:48 PM
Fire

True, but who is to say who is a great figure and who is not, except for history itself?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 02:50 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Greatness is exchanging views and completion without losing one' s identity.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 02:52 PM
HarmoNiC FLo
Becoming Transparent

If we all strive to be original, we'd run out of "good" original things and turn to "evil" to satisfy tha need to be original. thats why a lot of people take good original ideas and add their own remix to make it their own.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 02:53 PM
HarmoNiC FLo is currently offline Click here to Send HarmoNiC FLo a Private Message Find more posts by HarmoNiC FLo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote