KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Origin of Sith Term

Origin of Sith Term
Started by: JediRobin23

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Origin of Sith Term

What I mean is, The word 'Sith' was never used in the OT.

Did this word originate as an EU thing? or was it in the original books by Lucas?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 03:33 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

no way man.. SS helped Lucas come up with it!.. eek!
This is where sweersa chimes in with the nightmare phrase..lol

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Last edited by Jack Daniels on Sep 30th, 2008 at 06:10 AM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 06:07 AM
Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

The word Sith was already in the early drafts of Star Wars, in the Journal of the Whills. For some reason the actual word never made it into the final scripts of the OT. But it's a genuine pre-ANH SW word. Just read the first drafts of SW.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 06:44 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
The word Sith was already in the early drafts of Star Wars, in the Journal of the Whills. For some reason the actual word never made it into the final scripts of the OT. But it's a genuine pre-ANH SW word. Just read the first drafts of SW.

Yeah, it is even in the ANH novel, I believe it says "Dark lord of the Sith" or something.

Originally posted by Jack Daniels
no way man.. SS helped Lucas come up with it!.. eek!
This is where sweersa chimes in with the nightmare phrase..lol

The Nightmare Never Ends. Hahaha.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 10:53 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Right on cue.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 12:09 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

The first Sith to use the term was Andua, but Revan made it what it was.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 06:46 PM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by Nactous
The first Sith to use the term was Andua, but Revan made it what it was.

Who? These people do not exist.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 07:06 PM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by sweersa
Who? These people do not exist.

If thats the case then the term has no in story origin...

"The wait is over."

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 07:09 PM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

Originally posted by sweersa
Yeah, it is even in the ANH novel, I believe it says "Dark lord of the Sith" or something.

You are correct sir wink

EU aside this is the history of the sith presented in the Phantom Menace novel:

Darth Sidious stood high on a balcony overlooking Coruscant, his concealing black robes making him appear as if he were a creature produced by the night. He stood facing the city, his eyes directed at its lights, at the faint movement of its air traffic, disinterested in his apprentice, Darth Maul, who waited to one side.

His thoughts were of the Sith and of the history of their order.

The Sith had come into being almost two thousand years ago. They were a cult given over to the dark side of the Force, embracing fully the concept that power denied was power wasted. A rogue Jedi Knight had founded the Sith, a singular dissident in an order of harmonious followers, a rebel who understood from the beginning that the real power of the Force lay not in the light, but in the dark. Failing to gain approval for his beliefs from the Council, he had broken with the order, departing with his knowledge and his skills, swearing in secret that he could bring down those who had dismissed him.

He was alone at first, but others from the Jedi order who believed as he did and who had followed him in his study of the dark side soon came over. Others were recruited, and soon the ranks of the Sith swelled to ~ than fifty in number. Disdaining the concepts of cooperation and consensus, relying on the belief that acquisition of power in any form lends strength and yields control, the Sith began to build their cult in opposition to the Jedi. Theirs was not an order created to serve; theirs was an order created to dominate.

Their war with the Jedi was vengeful and furious and ultimately doomed. The rogue Jedi who had founded the Sith order was its nominal leader, but his ambition excluded any sharing of power. His disciples began to conspire against him and each other almost from the beginning, so that the war they instigated was as much with each other as with the Jedi.

In the end, the Sith destroyed themselves. They destroyed their leader first, then each other. What few survived the initial bloodbath were quickly dispatched by watchful Jedi. In a matter of only weeks, all of them died.

All but one.

Darth Maul shifted impatiently. The younger Sith had not yet learned his Master's patience; that would come with time and training. It was patience that had saved the Sith order in the end. It was patience that would give them their victory now over the Jedi.

The Sith who had survived when all of his fellows had died had understood that. He had adopted patience as a virtue when the others had forsaken it. He had adopted cunning, stealth, and subterfuge as the foundation of his way-old Jedi virtues the others had disdained. He stood aside while the Sith tore at each other like kriks and were destroyed. When the carnage was complete, he went into hiding, biding his time, waiting for his chance.

When it was believed all of the Sith were destroyed, he emerged from his concealment. At first he worked alone, but he was growing old and he was the last of his kind. Eventually, he went out in search of an apprentice. Finding one, he trained him to be a Master in his turn, then to find his own apprentice, and so to carry on their work. But there would only be two at anyone time. There would be no repetition of the mistakes of the old order, no struggle between Siths warring for power within the cult. Their common enemy was the Jedi, not each other. It was for their war with the Jedi they must save themselves. The Sith who reinvented the order called himself Darth Bane. A thousand years had passed since the Sith were believed destroyed, and the time they had waited for had come at last.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 07:45 PM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Originally posted by Nactous
If thats the case then the term has no in story origin...

This is not the correct place for EU material. That's what he was saying. That's all. Now you'll be banned forever.

Queeq?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 08:32 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Thanks for the info, Elite Hunter. Not really the topic, you'd have to go to the Journal of the Whills to find the origins of the Sith-concept from GL's pov.

Oh and yes, all people referring to EU will be banned to the EU section. wink

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 09:20 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Though in the interest of accuracy I do wish to remind and sundry that GL never wrote any Star Wars books.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 09:47 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpaceMonkey
Project Mayhem

Just saying the word "Darth" should ring SITH in your ears. DARk lord of the siTH. Take out the "k lord of the si" and you're left with DAR-TH. Pretty easy.

"Put him in a straightjacket, the man's sick!"

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 11:36 PM
Click here to Send SpaceMonkey a Private Message Find more posts by SpaceMonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

darth is also dutch for dark.

Dark Invader=Darth Vader

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 12:35 AM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Though in the interest of accuracy I do wish to remind and sundry that GL never wrote any Star Wars books.

Thanks for the great read Elite Hunter.

Ush, I have an original 1976 copy of the Star Wars paperback novel written by George Lucas.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 02:57 AM
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11

Dark Invader=Darth Vader

Hmm, I thought that Vader=father in dutch... but then again I have been wrong before.

Originally posted by JediRobin23
What I mean is, The word 'Sith' was never used in the OT.

Did this word originate as an EU thing? or was it in the original books by Lucas?

If you wanna go way back, I believe that sith was also a word in greek mythology... Or it was something that sounded like sith... I need to go watch that documentary again.

Last edited by Mandrag Ganon on Oct 1st, 2008 at 03:37 AM

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 03:35 AM
Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Originally posted by queeq

Where do I find the first drafts of Star wars? A reliable source would help answer this question. Although I get the feeling that this word was used in EU and George Lucas took it from them

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 04:08 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11

Dark Invader=Darth Vader

Vader is Dutch for Dark, but I have always wondered if GL knew that when he came up with the name or that it was a nice coincidence later on.

Darth is NOT Dutch for dark. Darth doesn't mean anything, as far as I know. I think it just sounds cool.

Early drafts of SW can be found all over the internet. Just google around, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to find them.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 05:33 AM
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

oops lol >.> i thought that darth=dark

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 06:08 AM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

You lose SW points for that one. wink

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 06:52 AM