KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » As anything really certain?

As anything really certain?
Started by: Fire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Baylin
Back in story!

It isnt? confused

Damn I was really certain it was! stick out tongue

Old Post May 6th, 2004 01:36 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spearhead
Prophet

wink thats why uncertainty's so good

I like the reassurance part, I agree with that a lot.

I'm a signature!

Old Post May 6th, 2004 01:39 PM
Spearhead is currently offline Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

This is hard to reply because in reality we don't know what will happen to us in the future. So we don't know if some of the things we plan to achieve will be posible. All I can think right now is that we must fulfill our destiny (whatever it might be) so that when we die there won't be any regrets.

Old Post May 6th, 2004 02:30 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

I dont believe things are certain. Nothing in life is certain, because everything has an exception.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post May 6th, 2004 02:37 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

gravity? that's pretty certain...by definition.

Old Post May 6th, 2004 02:40 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

The only thing that is for certain is [SPOILER - highlight to read]: that nothing is ever certain

Old Post May 6th, 2004 02:42 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by Fire
sure dexx, give an example of something that is certain, cause certains means that it will never ever change, which is impossible to prove

oh..i dunno..lots of small thigns...like..it is certain that i'm 17 years of age.
i could say that it is certain that the sun will rise tomorrow......that's acertainty for me.....and i'ma sking you if you're saying that there's a possibility for it to not rise. in that case.....your theory on anything not being certain is you accepting EVERY single theoretical and practical possibility. (ex: like it turning into a supernova tonight..and so on)

Old Post May 6th, 2004 02:51 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Modern science is wrong if nothing is ever truly certain???

Decent scientists would be insulted. This isn't the Victorian Age any more, you know. Uncertainty is one of the base principles of science now.

However, I find philosophical scepticism very tiresome.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 6th, 2004 02:55 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Have you never heard of the uncertainty principle?
Modern physics is all about uncertainty and probability, rather than classical newtonian physics.

Old Post May 6th, 2004 02:59 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

quote:
Originally posted by Fire
still BF if they find away to become immortal tomorrow, that statement is false as well, I know ppl will always look at this way of thinking as going for the impossible against all odds but it aint because there is only a 1 in 28000 billion that it wont happen

Well, to quote Omega, "If you wait long enough the improbable will happen, if you wait forever the impossible will happen." However, we theoretically can't wait forever to find a way to become immortal since for the moment we're not... I'm not making sense am I happy

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post May 6th, 2004 02:59 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Modern science is wrong if nothing is ever truly certain???

Decent scientists would be insulted. This isn't the Victorian Age any more, you know. Uncertainty is one of the base principles of science now.

However, I find philosophical scepticism very tiresome.

than they should change they way they put things now a days

and indeed scepticism is very tiresome

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post May 6th, 2004 03:07 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches
Have you never heard of the uncertainty principle?
Modern physics is all about uncertainty and probability, rather than classical newtonian physics.

classic newtonian physics is still tought at ppl all over the world tho

Old Post May 6th, 2004 03:10 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

well, they teach the foundations of physics with newtonian physics, but if you go into modern and theoretical physics, the newtonian laws of physics dont work, and in modern physics, nothing is certain. There are degrees of certainty and confidence.

Old Post May 6th, 2004 03:17 PM
Fire

true but even those basic laws of physics which as you said is newtonian physics is wrong, they should teach ppl that big grin

Old Post May 6th, 2004 03:55 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

Well I guess we've just discovered a certainty - people will always be mis-informed!

Old Post May 6th, 2004 03:58 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

maybe Baylin, maybe tomorrow someone invents the way to get all knowledge in a second and then we won't be

But I suggest we drop the science stuff, I shouldn't have written modern day sciences, everyone happy now? stick out tongue

Old Post May 6th, 2004 04:49 PM
yerssot

y...no... I still want to annoy Storm about this

Old Post May 6th, 2004 05:18 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

lol not atm mate not atm stick out tongue

Old Post May 6th, 2004 05:18 PM
yerssot

*sits down and patiently waits turns*

Old Post May 6th, 2004 05:20 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It doesn't matter if they find a way to stop death by natural cuases. The earth will still be incinerated by the sun in a few billion years and all those Immortal people will die anyways.

Death is inevitable, no matter what is done. Everyone is going to die someday.

Old Post May 6th, 2004 07:19 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote