KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » All Powerful?

All Powerful?
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FBI_AgentMulder

LOL.

It's funny, because advocates of the Design Argument, who propose that there must be a God, because everything is designed perfectly such as humanity, animals, etc.

Someone mentioned that the human eye is a perfect example of this. This person proposed that since God is "all-powerful", he created the human eye perfectly because it fulfills a certain function....its made to see!

Then again!

If this God was "all-powerful", then why are people sometimes born with severe dementia, augmentism, short-sightedness, or even blindness in the eye. This is hardly the work of an "all-powerful" creator..

I'm the key figure in an on-going government charade, the plot to conceal the truth about the existence of extraterrestrials. It's a global conspiracy, actually, with key players in the highest levels of power, that reaches down into the lives of every man, woman, and child on this planet. So, of course, no one believes me. I'm an annoyance to my superiors, a joke to my peers. They call me Spooky. Spooky Mulder, whose sister was abducted by aliens when he was just a kid and who now chases after little green men with a badge and a gun, shouting to the heavens or to anyone who will listen that the fix is in, that the sky is falling and when it hits it's gonna be the shit-storm of all time."
~Mulder, the movie

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 05:41 PM
FBI_AgentMulder is currently offline Click here to Send FBI_AgentMulder a Private Message Find more posts by FBI_AgentMulder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Ush> from where I’m sitting there’s something wrong with the statement: “the definition of 'all-powerful' is that of a person who can do ALL the things that are on the list of being possible.”

You have put a limitation of “All-powerful” in there – simply by saying “list of being possible.” What is MEANT by possible when it comes to some omnipotent divine being?
The all-powerful should not be limited by what humans can conceive of. So it should be possible for this being to create a person with two and four arms, at the same time. Heck, even quantum mechanics can do its version of that – a quantum coin can be both heads and tails at the same time.

Omnipotent is a self-contradiction as Lil Bitchiness says. Unless, of course, we assume that it is impossible to create a stone so heavy this being cannot lift, and still be able to lift it – but the divine can DO the impossible as well.
OR – you could ask: What would be the heaviest stone imaginable? A stone that weighs an infinite amount of kilograms.
Our omnipotent being CAN – of course – lift an infinite amount of weight. So lets add a kilogram more. Infinite mass+1 kilogram= still infinite mass.
So… smile

(I love math)

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 07:54 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

blink

I think I agree with Omega.

If this being is 'all-powerful' (for want of a better word), then surely they can do the impossible, lift the unliftable. Regardless of mass, because mass is a limit. Even when that limit is infinite.

Ush said that the being can only do what is on the 'list' of being possible. Who decides what is on that 'list'?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 09:34 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Syren> Actually... My above musings means that this being CANNOT create something so heavy it can't lift it.

If the heaviest object is infinite kilograms, there is nothing heavier. (But should such a being CREATE this stone, the Universe would collapse. This stone would act as a black hole without any horizons or anything.)

Ehrm... I managed to confuse myself completely now...

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 10:29 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Aren't the space singularities in Black Holes thought to have infinite density?

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 08:10 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

maybe

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 08:43 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Shaber> That’s what it looks like without the quantum theory for gravity. Fortunately we’re protected by event horizons and stuff.

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 08:45 PM
finti

horizon as in the magazine the Lutheran churches here in Norway bugged us with during our communion/confirmation mad mad I received that crap for years mad

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 08:49 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Finti> laughing I doubt a religious magazine could protect anyone from a black hole singularity!

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 09:00 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Maybe you could wedge it in there.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 03:30 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
doubt a religious magazine could protect anyone from a black hole singularity!
I know, but the word horizon reminded me of that horrendous mag wink

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 04:10 PM
sonofasaiyan
Restricted

Account Restricted

The age old stone question instantly creates a paradox. If God is indeed able to create a stone heavy enough that he could not lift it, it would as in the film Dogma, create a major paradox, that could prove God imperfect and fallible since it would seem even he has limitations. And if this is true, he wouldn't be all powerful and omnipotent now wouldn't he?? It's best not to ponder questions like these concocted by feeble mortal intellects and try to apply our limited knowledge to a being that is infinitely beyond anything we could ever imagine.

If we keep pushing technology, eventually it will push back.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2004 06:46 PM
sonofasaiyan is currently offline Click here to Send sonofasaiyan a Private Message Find more posts by sonofasaiyan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
try to apply our limited knowledge to a being that is infinitely beyond anything we could ever imagine.
speak for yourself, I would say believing in a being thats suppose to be omnipotent is sign of limited knowledge

Old Post Jul 26th, 2004 06:00 AM
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

Bah I say! Trick question, but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway.

This being could infact create a boulder that he himself could not lift, what would make him omnipotent, would be that he could create a third party that WOULD be able to lift the boulder. Just like humans use a lever and pulley to lift really heavy crap.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2004 06:51 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

them ush that's deep

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jul 26th, 2004 07:05 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote