KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is the greatest symbol of freedom on Earth?

What is the greatest symbol of freedom on Earth?
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mouth
child of the sixties

the sea is freedom.. that's the only place you can really get away from it all

QUEEN OF ROADTRIPS

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 06:54 PM
mouth is currently offline Click here to Send mouth a Private Message Find more posts by mouth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Yeah, I'd been meaning to put the shot of the Pacific at the end of the Shawshank Redemption.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 07:24 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

greatest symbol of freedom - Art.

From a political perspective, even under oppression - art flourishes. From a philosophical perspective, art is a symbol that we are evolving as a species. From a personal perspective - it's the one part of my life that is wholly mine that i can always escape to.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 09:24 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

art isnt free...some artists during their time periods were FORCED to draw certain things...for instince...(i forgot which period of time) but these certain artists were ONLY allowed to paint the rich and high class. so they couldn't paint anything besides that...

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 09:30 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
Yeah, I'd been meaning to put the shot of the Pacific at the end of the Shawshank Redemption.
Holy shit! That's my favourite image from a movie! I've just finished watching the Shawshank Redemption for the umpteenth time and feel like filling up! And I'm a guy!

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 10:45 PM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by HockeyHorror
art isnt free...some artists during their time periods were FORCED to draw certain things... certain artists were ONLY allowed to paint the rich and high class. so they couldn't paint anything besides that...

You've failed to understand my point so spectacularly I hardly know where to begin. For one thing we are talking about symbolism (see topic thread) for another it's my personal view and thus find the statement "art isnt free" to be baffling, not to mention quite nonsensical.

However - to take your comment at its face value...

Yes, Artists through the ages have been forced through poverty and religious/political oppression to create things that go against their nature.

Michelangelo Buonarroti was forced against his will to paint the Sistine chapel - do you think that devalues it's significance as a work of art? Can you say categorically that he hated every moment and that he wasn't inspired as he worked?

People like Vermeer and Holbein placed all sort s of hidden meanings within there work, so that while remaining palatable to the public and the people who commissioned them it still spoke of there darker secrets & desires. Freedom even under the yoke - thats what art gives.

Moral of the story?

As Peter Falk says in Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter:

"Kid, life is a shitstorm, and when it's raining shit, there's no umbrella like art."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 11:40 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero
You've failed to understand my point so spectacularly I hardly know where to begin. For one thing we are talking about symbolism (see topic thread) for another it's my personal view and thus find the statement "art isnt free" to be baffling, not to mention quite nonsensical.

However - to take your comment at its face value...

Yes, Artists through the ages have been forced through poverty and religious/political oppression to create things that go against their nature.

Michelangelo Buonarroti was forced against his will to paint the Sistine chapel - do you think that devalues it's significance as a work of art? Can you say categorically that he hated every moment and that he wasn't inspired as he worked?

People like Vermeer and Holbein placed all sort s of hidden meanings within there work, so that while remaining palatable to the public and the people who commissioned them it still spoke of there darker secrets & desires. Freedom even under the yoke - thats what art gives.

Moral of the story?

As Peter Falk says in Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter:

"Kid, life is a shitstorm, and when it's raining shit, there's no umbrella like art."

i didn't fail to understand your point. i understood your point clearly. you just assumed i didn't...i just stated another fact in the art aspect.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 11:43 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChinaNiki
Dancing Queen

I think freedom is more of a feeling than a symbol. I suppose some symbols can stand for places that are supposed to be freer-in what you can say and what you can do-than others, but is it freedom? People come to the US from all over the world because American society seems freer to them. But is it really free? I believe it is...if you have enough money to buy that feeling of freedom. I certainly don't feel free, and I don't feel the US is the bastion of freedom I was taught in grade school that it was, so symbols like the American flag or the Statue of Liberty don't represent freedom, anymore, to me. I'm feeling very soap-boxy now so I'm going to stop.

Made by the talented Godshinto

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 04:05 AM
ChinaNiki is currently offline Click here to Send ChinaNiki a Private Message Find more posts by ChinaNiki Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteEagle
Bionic Commando

I agree with you ChinaNiki in the point that the whole concept in a land of freedom these days is mostly dependent on how much money is in your pocket. I'm fairly happy with my own level of freedom at the moment and there are people in other countries in far worse situations than me. Although we are all free to an extent. At least free to decide our own actions.

"Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does."

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

- Jean-Paul Sartre

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
-Albert Camus

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 12:55 PM
WhiteEagle is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteEagle a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteEagle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fiery Eyes

Re: What is the greatest symbol of freedom on Earth?

quote:
Originally posted by ash007
What do you'll view as the greatest symbol of freedom?

Is it a symbol such as the World Trade centre, is is more artistic such as the Statue of liberty, is it spirtual like the Buddha, is it the voting booth? A person, the face of MLK? Relgious tolerance? Sexual freedom? I appreciate some of these are harder to symbolise

Or is it something which symbolises a variety of freedoms such as the Amercian Flag, or maybe the British wink

I have been thinking about this for a couple of hours and am genuinly stuck??

It is really a touch question to ask, but I would love to hear your opinions, i think it could be quite interesting.

Freedom to worship!!! Most take that for granted, but if you see how other countrys it's taken from them, you would see how awesome that is. smile

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 04:48 PM
Fiery Eyes is currently offline Click here to Send Fiery Eyes a Private Message Find more posts by Fiery Eyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Although I agree that true "freedom" doesn't exist, the closest thing to it, to me at least, is like Zen... It's hard to describe, but the Japanese call it "kensho"... It's sort of like a natural high erm Other Buddhist sects try to achieve enlightenment through hours of meditation... Followers of Zen believe in a much simpler form of enlightenment, and one that isn't necessarily lasting. There's a book called "Zen and the art of motorcycle riding," which best describes it to me. If you can imagine doing something that you love doing, and getting so engrossed in it that you have an out-of-body kind of experience, that's the closest thing to freedom for me. I hope I explained that well enough...

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 05:07 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lucija
xxx

if we live in some state system, we don't have freedom even we think that we have. politicians make decisions instead us... sad

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 02:41 PM
lucija is currently offline Click here to Send lucija a Private Message Find more posts by lucija Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Hippies protesting is the greatest symbol of freedom. Because, if it were up to me, they'd get bulldozed off of the street for blocking traffic, douches.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 05:45 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
phinney6
consiglieri

quote:
Originally posted by lucija
if we live in some state system, we don't have freedom even we think that we have. politicians make decisions instead us... sad

Happy Dance Happy Dance I would do the bulldozen if I could. Greatest symbol of freedom = Pizza. Seriously, you can make your pizza and put whatever you want on it stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 06:34 AM
phinney6 is currently offline Click here to Send phinney6 a Private Message Find more posts by phinney6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lucija
xxx

quote:
Originally posted by phinney6
Happy Dance Happy Dance I would do the bulldozen if I could. Greatest symbol of freedom = Pizza. Seriously, you can make your pizza and put whatever you want on it stick out tongue

I see! sure phinney big grin

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 01:38 PM
lucija is currently offline Click here to Send lucija a Private Message Find more posts by lucija Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Greatest Symbol of Freedom on Earth=Canada stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 02:59 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

Nude women are the symbol of freedom for me. Great sight.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2004 02:05 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paxelius
bearer of the blue hat

Freedom within limits. Everything is contained within its boundaries. This is how it must be, so we are never truly free.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 02:17 AM
Paxelius is currently offline Click here to Send Paxelius a Private Message Find more posts by Paxelius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
F_doomed
Senior Samari

Freedom is not truly there we are free to move about but we are bound to the limits of our bodies. Freedom is all a matter of percepton we are bound in captivity to the laws of nature there fore we arent free but we can change those laws by changing our setting it is more so a matter of Option and State of mind for Example a caged bird on would argue isnt free but would the Bird rather be Free from danger not have to hunt for his food have a much better chance of living then be sent out to the wild to fend for himself You Can choose

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/symbiotecollection/ for All your symbiote picture needs

Old Post Sep 5th, 2004 12:42 AM
F_doomed is currently offline Click here to Send F_doomed a Private Message Find more posts by F_doomed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
F_doomed
Senior Samari

quote:
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
Nude women are the symbol of freedom for me. Great sight.

You ripped that off mad Dont Rip it off mad Get it? mad

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/symbiotecollection/ for All your symbiote picture needs

Old Post Sep 5th, 2004 12:43 AM
F_doomed is currently offline Click here to Send F_doomed a Private Message Find more posts by F_doomed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote