KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » If you could go back in time to fix all the wrongs, would you?

If you could go back in time to fix all the wrongs, would you?
Started by: BlackC@t

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Worry more about fixing the wrongs of today and tomorrow. Those you can affect.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 12:42 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vaya_the_elf
You know you love elves

I believe that things are how they are for a reason... we may not always know the reason.. but there is one.. and if you mess with the past it could make things worse

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:27 AM
vaya_the_elf is currently offline Click here to Send vaya_the_elf a Private Message Find more posts by vaya_the_elf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
think

the past is a memory, the future a hope, the present is reality. Over and over again. If given the opportunity, I wouldn't change even the worst moments of my life. I wouldn't want to imagine who I would be had everything been "perfect."

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 05:46 AM
think is currently offline Click here to Send think a Private Message Find more posts by think Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteEagle
Bionic Commando

Good point Think. I wonder just how much the events in my past have influenced my present character and how much even a slight change may affect me. Almost scary when you think about it. So no, I probably wouldn't want to change anything. I don't think there's been anything so bad in my life that I'd wish it to be different and I'm fairly happy with things the way they are now. smile

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
-Albert Camus

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:11 PM
WhiteEagle is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteEagle a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteEagle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Look at HG Wells, he addressed this in The Time Machine. Because one bad thing is avoided, doesn't mean that that bad thing happening doesn't prevent other bad things from happening. So, to change the past is to change the future. And what will be will be.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 04:32 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

quote:
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Look at HG Wells, he addressed this in The Time Machine. Because one bad thing is avoided, doesn't mean that that bad thing happening doesn't prevent other bad things from happening. So, to change the past is to change the future. And what will be will be.

if you look at time as being linear...then changing a thing from your past linear time would probably affect that future linear time....

but what if time is not linear? which i believe it is not linear...the concept of time does not move forward, backwards or sideways imo...it occupies space at all times and at all points....

it cannot even be defined in the physical sense such as a complicated net in mesh form because even that has gaps...to me there are no gaps in time...

as we know it to be, time is, if we have to place a starting point, from pt A to pt B...in the linear sense...but if it weren't, if you were to go back in time, instead of going from your present tiem you'd end up going back in an alternate past...

to sum it up: you go back to assassinate Hitler, only it's not your linear past - so your future does not change, but you've changed the future for that timeline...then to complicate things, once the deed is done you decide to return to the future only it's not your linear future of before or even of the future of the timeline you were in but an alternate future where Hitler did not die and Germany won WWII...*whew*

i think i just confused myself... confused

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 05:14 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

lol...now we're talking planet of the apes.

Really, time may not be linear. I look at time in the same way I do destiny. Time isn't a line from point A to point B...but a spider web of multiple connecting points that creates the tapestry of destiny.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 07:02 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

quote:
lol...now we're talking planet of the apes.

Really, time may not be linear. I look at time in the same way I do destiny. Time isn't a line from point A to point B...but a spider web of multiple connecting points that creates the tapestry of destiny.

maybe...but still that conceptual idea of a web still has gaps and in some sense still linear if it is somewhat haphazard...and for whatever else i don't believe there are gaps in time...what would you call them(gaps)??? null time???

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 07:28 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

So, maybe I'm not following what you mean by gaps. Are you referring to the "holes in the net"?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 07:33 PM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Far better than the inane Butterfly effect is the Ray bradbury short story "A Sound of Thunder" covering much the same ground.

Peter Hyams has been filming this - lord only knows if it will be any good.

Here is the trailer:

trailery goodness

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 07:39 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

quote:
So, maybe I'm not following what you mean by gaps. Are you referring to the "holes in the net"?

well yeah...the holes

if we associate time as points that intersect linearly as in a web...but then i can see where you may have meant if those interconnecting points were multiplied exponentially to infinity whereby the gaps or holes were soon glossed over with more connecting points then becoming somewhat like a fabric...hence your tapestry of destiny

but the word destiny is hard for me to swallow...as the arguments go whether destiny is predetermined or not...but that is another topic...

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 08:23 PM
Darth Vicious

I agree, i am who i am by learning from my mistakes and all ive been thru but i would change some things, some i would make different.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 08:29 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

the question is redundant. You CAN'T go back in time, therefore you can't change anything. no point in thinking 'what if' at this one.
what you probably mean is "do you regret anything you've done or not done so far and would you do it all again"

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 08:32 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vaya_the_elf
You know you love elves

I would not change the things I regret even if i could with making things worse.. because i know in my mind i still did them, and I deserved whatever I got

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 11:42 PM
vaya_the_elf is currently offline Click here to Send vaya_the_elf a Private Message Find more posts by vaya_the_elf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vaya_the_elf
You know you love elves

I mean with OUT making mistakes.. just started to type to fast

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 12:04 AM
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf
I would not change the things I regret even if i could with making things worse.. because i know in my mind i still did them, and I deserved whatever I got

well that's why we don't actually DO everything that we do in our mind wink

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 08:28 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

I think a lot of you are aren't getting what I'm saying, if you could only go back into your YOUNG mind, since you weren't born when those people were assinated you can't save them, because you didn't exsist back then. I know I would, a lot of bad things have happened in my past. Like if I could go back in time the first thing I would do is save my Mum from dieing.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 06:20 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

I mean, you can only go back into your own mind, and since I'm probably the only one that's lost somebody very closed to me I can understand why a lot of you wouldn't want to.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 06:23 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteEagle
Bionic Commando

I don't think anyone would refuse the chance to save someone they loved.

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
-Albert Camus

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 09:11 AM
WhiteEagle is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteEagle a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteEagle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
angelsflame265
la la la lalaaaa

I do something wrong everyday, there's no way i'd be able to fix it all if I could. But also a lot of those wrongs turned into something good in the end, so i've learned to keep going when i fall.

Offical Country Music Lover of Ravenclaw

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 05:48 PM
angelsflame265 is currently offline Click here to Send angelsflame265 a Private Message Find more posts by angelsflame265 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote