KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What Is Truth?

What Is Truth?
Started by: Storm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Papaumau
Man of the world

Sorry Clovie...( for disagreeing with you )....They say you should never start a sentence with an apology...but here goes !

Truth is not something different to each individual as truth is either there or it is not !

Truth - in the ear of the beholder - CAN be interpreted in different ways, but the seed of truth - or the untruth - must be there in the first place before it can be interpreted rightly or wrongly by the interpreter.

Click my sig'-pic' to go to my forum
and attached consumer website

Old Post Sep 4th, 2004 12:22 PM
Papaumau is currently offline Click here to Send Papaumau a Private Message Find more posts by Papaumau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

doesn't matter.

but truth is what you believe to be truth.
and for everyone believes in something different.

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Sep 4th, 2004 12:47 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

The belief or not does not decide if the item or word is true or false.

It either IS true or it is untrue !

It is whether you believe it to be true or not that does not matter.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2004 01:02 PM
Papaumau is currently offline Click here to Send Papaumau a Private Message Find more posts by Papaumau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

But it is. EXAMPLE:

me -- That colour is teal. ((TRUE))

you-- that colour is dark green ((also true))

BUT THE STATEMENTS ARE NOT IDENTICAL.

According to you, the colour MUST be teal OR dark green - I say, teal is true to me, dark green is true to you

Old Post Sep 4th, 2004 06:58 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Papaumau
The belief or not does not decide if the item or word is true or false.

It either IS true or it is untrue !

It is whether you believe it to be true or not that does not matter.

From a philosophical standpoint this is ridiculous. They understood that in the 4thC BC -

"A man says that he is lying. Is what he says true or false?"
Eubulides

Still working on it these days with the slightly more refined theory of Paraconsistent logic.

Even in a non-philosophical sense - If a man says "God will smite the unbelievers" he and many thousands of others will believe it to be a literal truth. Others believe it to be false. WHO thinks it's true and who false depends if the man is an American or an Israeli.

Truth is far from absolute.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2004 07:16 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix
But it is. EXAMPLE:

me -- That colour is teal. ((TRUE))

you-- that colour is dark green ((also true))

BUT THE STATEMENTS ARE NOT IDENTICAL.

According to you, the colour MUST be teal OR dark green - I say, teal is true to me, dark green is true to you

Good example phoenix

But I am afraid that to say green is green is asking for people to say there are shades of green.

That is nevertheless not a way of proving truth as the definition was not clear or precise enough to argue that it was true or false in an empirical way.

The question needs to be stated precisely before the precise and truthful answer can be provided.

Indeed "Teal" and also emerald can be said to be green, but as the song says..."The forty shades of green" are all true too.

Where this example goes wrong is when someone says that turquoise is "green" when actually it is a greeny/blue. ( Greeny/blue=true...Green=false ).

It is all about accuracy of description I guess.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2004 03:25 PM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Papaumau
That is nevertheless not a way of proving truth as the definition was not clear or precise enough to argue that it was true or false in an empirical way.

Nice try - took me a full minute to see what you did there - which is 60 seconds longer than ive ever had to pause on KMC before.

Phoenix wasn't trying to prove a truth, P was trying to show that truth sometimes cannot be proved ( as it's often subjective).

You are the one trying to prove the truth - you can't default her argument by inverting it to say that it doesnt support your own.

Boo-ya!

Old Post Sep 5th, 2004 04:37 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

truth is most likely a statement made without any sugar coating... if someone is feeling inside "Gee this person is a real jerk", but say "Wow you're such a nice person" its obviously not the truth until they come clean and say "Gee this person is a real jerk"... but there are alot of different kinds of truth as you've said.. religion... ethics... politics.. I dont think much more can come of this except for vague answers

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Sep 6th, 2004 03:22 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
What is truth
what you want it to be

Old Post Sep 6th, 2004 09:24 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero
Nice try - took me a full minute to see what you did there - which is 60 seconds longer than ive ever had to pause on KMC before.

Phoenix wasn't trying to prove a truth, P was trying to show that truth sometimes cannot be proved ( as it's often subjective).

You are the one trying to prove the truth - you can't default her argument by inverting it to say that it doesnt support your own.

Boo-ya!

WOW....Mr "Z"....

You are nearly as sneaky as I am !

Actually this "what is truth" question has generated many thousands of pages of debate all over the world of words and it is too unclear - and unspecific - a question to arrive at a clear or specific solution.

Nevertheless it is a fun subject to debate !

Old Post Sep 6th, 2004 12:34 PM
vitaldragon
Marvel Universe

The truth is simply something that people accept to be true. I mean would you believe in light/color if everyone (including yourself) was naturally born blind? There would be different 'truths' then.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2004 03:01 AM
vitaldragon is currently offline Click here to Send vitaldragon a Private Message Find more posts by vitaldragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote