KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » If we time-travelled and changed things, would the outcome be worse?

If we time-travelled and changed things, would the outcome be worse?
Started by: BlackC@t

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cipher
Non-Entity

Nuke the area? Wouldn't that have consequences in the future?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:14 AM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

not if the area was eventually submerged (because of the last ice age ending and lots of people being drowned)

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:19 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

There's still radiation.....

Plus, an ice age in 150 years? Takes a little longer than that......

Unless...............

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:33 AM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

no, people from 150 years in the future travel back in time 12'000 years and make the natives worship them as gods.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:36 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

Hmmm.....

But why?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:37 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

to be worshipped as gods and be able to do whatever they want without being caught. However, the time cops are hunting them down across time to put a stop to their illegal activities and their breaking of the temporal prime directive

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:39 AM
Cipher
Non-Entity

Ah. But how would they know? Anything that was changed would have always been that way from the future perspective.

Unless the time police are outside of time somehow........

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 10:58 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

no, the time police went back in time as well and are using their samurai and monk skills to infiltrate the corrupt society and they are going to assassinate the people behind it in the past, and if they fail, then they will order the nukes to kill the enemy

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 11:20 AM
Cipher
Non-Entity

Nukes will change the past, though. But how do you fit into all this?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 11:36 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

I dont know yet. From my perspective, it hasn't happned. I only got told this by my future self, who left a message for me when he (I) went back in time.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2004 11:41 AM
jinXed by JaNx

assuming you could travel back in time, this would mean there would have to be atleast two timelines of existence. Changing somthing in the past could potentially completely destroy the present timeline you traveled from to reach the past.

Lets say you went back and killed hitler. The change in the present time you came from, where millions of jews and people were slaughtered could not change instantaneously. you have have 80 year old jewish people appearing out of no where. you would have all the people that died in the war appear out of no where.

Lets say also you traveled back in time and changed somthing that prevented you from being born. this would change stop you from going back in time and changing the events that stopped you from being born in the first place, so the only thing you would have done is erase yourself from existence.

Time travel is an impossible theory. The closest thing we have to seeing in the future and past is the stars

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 03:49 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

/\ ah, but if, as you say, there are multiple timelines, then I can go back into the past and even prevent myself from being born, but then stay in that new timeline, as I have left the previous timeline when i went back in time, and thus, it is still intact and I am able to do the same thing again in an unending temporal loop.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 08:14 AM
jinXed by JaNx

But as soon as you went through with the action that henders your birth You would cease to exist, in both timelines instantaneously , or all. You would never have been born, meaning you would never have had the chance to travel back in time in the first place

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 11:18 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Well, my younger self would cease to exist in the new timeline, but i would still exist in it, but I had LEFT my original timeline when i went back through time, so whatever i do in the new timeline does not effect the original one.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 12:04 PM
jinXed by JaNx

but you would have never been born to be in the new timeline. now if your talking somthing like parallel universes or existences that would be different. Talking time travel though, if you did somthing to prevent your existence from ever occuring, then you couldnt exist in any time line, you never would have had the chance to travel back in time.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 12:11 PM
eleveninches
God of my own world

It's the same thing. Travelling from one timeline to another is the same as travelling between parallel universes.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 12:16 PM
Syren
dreaming

eleveninches, you have an answer for everything wink

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 12:26 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

yes

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 12:27 PM
jinXed by JaNx

No it's not. Parallel universes are existences existing and functioning alongside of ours. travelling through time is just going from point A to point B in our existence but different times. A parallel existence to ours would already be different than what we are living now in our existence. It would be altered eigther minutely or greatly. Two different theories, but then again, i guess we will never know untill we are able to travel through different realms of existence and leap frog through time. Theoretically speaking if possible, time travel could already be a reality in one of our parallel existences.

How hard can time travel be? I mean al you need to do is connect two wormholes. lol

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 12:30 PM
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
How hard can time travel be? I mean al you need to do is connect two wormholes. lol

If you ever manage to do it, I will personally become your slave for the rest of eternity. I have that much faith in your capabilities stick out tongue

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 27th, 2004 12:32 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote