KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Could this be possible?

Could this be possible?
Started by: frodo34x

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
peterKSL
In a different dimension

By the way, how would you be sure that if you time travel to the past everything would still be the same?? It was just assumed that everything would happen the same way again.... doesn't mean that it will confused

Feel me not.. See me not.. I'm just an illusion..

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 09:58 AM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miahera
Platinum Card Member

quote:
Originally posted by peterKSL
By the way, how would you be sure that if you time travel to the past everything would still be the same?? It was just assumed that everything would happen the same way again.... doesn't mean that it will confused

now don't get mad peterKSL for this other movie mentioning big grin This was sort of what Butterfly Effect was about. recall the quote "one flap of a seagull's wings would be enough to alter the course of the weather forever." this was an idea brought up in a Science publication a number of decades ago by an Edward Lorenz. yes everything isn't going to be the same all the time when even the miniscule change is made.

even those e-mails talking about being nice to one person having a chain effect elaborates on that same principle. people often dwell on this when they say "what if I did this" or "what if I did that."

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 05:00 AM
miahera is currently offline Click here to Send miahera a Private Message Find more posts by miahera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

"mad peterKSL".. nice...smile I was just a bit unsure that if you travel to the past, people there would still have a choice? I mean they can still choose another path that is already chosen? Maybe I'm confusing myself, because since a kid I'm told that God ALREADY knows our future...(I'm a christian)..... so as to say that we can only experience present and not the past??? Because if we would go back in time, then people might/will make another choice, and another future thread will be present to us.... lol?

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 09:30 AM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miahera
Platinum Card Member

As you are Christian and you believe in God, then you should also believe that God specified he is giving you a CHOICE, which contradicts the concept of fate. In the same principle, if you believe in God, then time travel should not be possible for the same reason you said - that going in the past will logically affect others and possibly change their outcome including beliefs in a later date.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 04:41 AM
miahera is currently offline Click here to Send miahera a Private Message Find more posts by miahera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

actually, what u are saying can never happen{well i dont think so anyway} because i think that ur future is predestined{actully that is scientific fact}, and ur factual or scientific FATE would never have a loop
in its linear path. because if it did have a loop, then that future of ours would not exist in the first place, and u cant exist without a future already existing in a coming time.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 09:35 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

i would explain it better with diagram but i dont have a scanner

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 09:36 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

quote:
Originally posted by leonheartmm
actually, what u are saying can never happen{well i dont think so anyway} because i think that ur future is predestined{actully that is scientific fact}, and ur factual or scientific FATE would never have a loop
in its linear path. because if it did have a loop, then that future of ours would not exist in the first place, and u cant exist without a future already existing in a coming time.

The word predestined...... I myself thought about it and I think we can actually see the future by making a graph of hierarchy.... graphing all possibilities takes about 3 decades I think... and you can actually see which road or which path that you are experiencing... isn't it cool?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2005 09:39 AM
leonheartmm

actually, graphing all possibilities is vertually impossible, there are too many paths which will come forward.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2005 10:29 PM
peterKSL
In a different dimension

I know... that's why I estimated it to be created in about 3 decades.... but nothing is impossible as you know.... I mean for the future generations.... it's like people said... flying wasn't possible... by our ancestors....

Old Post Jan 8th, 2005 11:57 PM
leonheartmm

hmmmmm true but then i think that its far more difficult then travelling through time.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2005 12:02 AM
peterKSL
In a different dimension

it's just like maths... nothing really hard actually... I mean if you encounter a problem, just do a graph... lol... I mean thinking is all about listing out possibilities... isn't it?

Old Post Jan 9th, 2005 12:04 AM
ShootingStars
dearly beloved

Re: Could this be possible?

quote:
Originally posted by frodo34x
First of all, this situation is assuming that time travel is possible.

If you created a time machine, then travelled back a short while, could you destroy the machine you were creating? When you destroyed it, you would never have gone back in time to destroy it. Which would mean that it would still exist. Which means you would go back in time etc.

What do you think would happen?

omg how confusing... my mate tried to explain this and actually de-confused me (not sure de-confused is actally a word) for a while. *reads it thru again* oooook... im lost...

Old Post Jan 12th, 2005 11:59 AM
ShootingStars is currently offline Click here to Send ShootingStars a Private Message Find more posts by ShootingStars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote