KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Intellectional war?

Intellectional war?
Started by: brandino

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
finti

quote:
Why is it that a lot of geniuses were ?
because they lack the skill to function socially

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 01:38 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corran
Lucifer

quote:
Originally posted by Philosophicus
If you need my simple theories to be simplified, then you are not intellectually capable of examinning philosophical arguments.
I don't think Sat was asking for the theories to be simplified, I think he was suggesting that vocabulary used to describe them could be simplified, you can understand scientific, mathematic and philosophical theories even if your grasp of the language/vocabulary is not great if the person explaining the theory were to simplify the vocabulary used then you may be pleasantly surprised that the person you thought was intellectually inadequate is in fact intellectually equal to yourself on certain subjects, but lacks in others.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 01:48 PM
Corran is currently offline Click here to Send Corran a Private Message Find more posts by Corran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

quote:
Friendship does NOT foster genius.

Definition of foster: To promote the growth and development of; cultivate: detect and foster artistic talent.

I'm sorry to tell you Philo that most artists either socialize with other artists or learn under the tutaledge of other artists. Especially in the time of michealangelo where everyone started as an apprentice.

Friendships are made, and where genius is acknowledge, it is fostered.

Don't try to catagorize your experience as the norm. Yes many geniuses are recluses. Many geniuses are also insane too. Not to mention that there are many well adjusted and socially active geniuses.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 01:52 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

So, what's your point?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 02:01 PM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

quote:
Some of the greatest geniuses were without friends - like Michelangelo.

probably if he met einstein, both would be friends, or maybe compatitors, because they both were geniuses.

Feel me not.. See me not.. I'm just an illusion..

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 02:04 PM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by peterKSL
probably if he met einstein, both would be friends, or maybe compatitors, because they both were geniuses.

I think he would've probably hated Einstein, because he couldn't stand Da Vinci, who was another genius.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 02:12 PM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

quote:

K.. that's what the problem is with sharing interest.... you either be friends, or compatitors....

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 02:18 PM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exactly.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 02:25 PM
finti

your either friends or not, the people you compete with the most are actually your friends

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 02:41 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

we must learn to hate our friends and to love our enemies! Nietzsche

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 03:02 PM
finti

yeah an idiotic thing to say if you ask me

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 03:12 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Hate is not opposite of Love, that would be indifference. And I agree with Finti, Nietzsche came up empty on that one.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 03:22 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

quote:
we must learn to hate our friends and to love our enemies! Nietzsche

can explain to me why must we hate our friends? I don't quite understand that part... Nietzsche must have a reason to say that.... maybe he use metaphor???

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 06:27 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"No, I don't have any friends because the genius are alone"

Friends are as Finti said, down to the individual. You can be a genius and have friends.

I would say you're more of a genius to have friends than to be alone. How can you claim to be a genius when you lack the knowledge to adapt with social interaction?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 08:17 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

quote:
can explain to me why must we hate our friends? I don't quite understand that part... Nietzsche must have a reason to say that.... maybe he use metaphor???

It could be interpreted in many ways.

Self-development.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 10:00 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
42Bardock
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like Nietzsche but I don't agree wiuth this one. Neither is it a part of a genius to be alone I think. As someone mentioned Einstein before he had a circle of friends, called the Academy Olympia, Gauss had friends as well. And many of the great philosophers like Hobbes, Locke , Bentham or Mill had friends that weren't geniuses too. So its just up to the individual, even though for some people friends could just be an unecessary thing that you needd to deal with which could make them relativly useless so that you don'T need them anymore.
But wasn'T this thread aboot a war of the Intellectuals?

You are not telling nobody nothing

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 11:52 PM
42Bardock is currently offline Click here to Send 42Bardock a Private Message Find more posts by 42Bardock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

quote:
Originally posted by 42Bardock
I like Nietzsche but I don't agree wiuth this one. Neither is it a part of a genius to be alone I think. As someone mentioned Einstein before he had a circle of friends, called the Academy Olympia, Gauss had friends as well. And many of the great philosophers like Hobbes, Locke , Bentham or Mill had friends that weren't geniuses too. So its just up to the individual, even though for some people friends could just be an unecessary thing that you needd to deal with which could make them relativly useless so that you don'T need them anymore.
But wasn'T this thread aboot a war of the Intellectuals?

Read the title again, interllectional war. Maybe he meant international war? rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing

Tell me why Nietzsche feels that Genius have to be alone? Helping others is what a genius should do... isn't it?

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 05:06 AM
42Bardock
Restricted

Account Restricted

Read the title again it is intellectional war, but if you read his first post he meant that people get dumber and deumber and mediocracy is being seen as good.
He didn'T mean International I am rather positive on that.

Oh and Nietzsche never said that, I really don't know where you got that from. And no its not the purpose of a genius to help others. TRead Any Rands Atlas Shrugged. The geniuses have no reason tio help anyone, and they shouldn't except if they get something in exchange.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 12:27 PM
42Bardock is currently offline Click here to Send 42Bardock a Private Message Find more posts by 42Bardock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

quote:
Originally posted by 42Bardock
Read the title again it is intellectional war, but if you read his first post he meant that people get dumber and deumber and mediocracy is being seen as good.
He didn'T mean International I am rather positive on that.

Oh and Nietzsche never said that, I really don't know where you got that from. And no its not the purpose of a genius to help others. TRead Any Rands Atlas Shrugged. The geniuses have no reason tio help anyone, and they shouldn't except if they get something in exchange.

It was just a joke... didn't you see the smileys? I posted 3 ...lol..

A genius cannot be, if one does not prove one with evidence of one's discovery(ies). By proving discoveries, doesn't it mean that it helped humankind in one way or another?? And I agree with you said "except if they get something in exchange"... that occurs a lot to non-geniuses too.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 06:47 PM
42Bardock
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am sorry I didn't get that joke, my bad.
And a genius can be without ever ppublishing anythiung he said, genius is not being smart and known, but only being really really smart. And no not all discoveries help humankind.
And I belive no one does anything if he doesn't get anything in xchange.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 06:58 PM