KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Immortality

Immortality
Started by: Philosophicus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

quote:
then please explain the immortality of Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great and it s like then

Who are they?.....just jokin'

Wow filth, I gotta agree with philo on this one. I have NO idea where you're coming from with that statement.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:34 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by finti
nah, in Norway you need a doctors prescription to buy his stuff since all his work is considered and labeled as sleeping pills

Nietzzzzsche would've liked you, because you've got a good sense of humour - he said one should at least laugh at one truth everyday. Also, he said sleeping is no mean art, one should try and avoid it. laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:36 PM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Who are they?.....
well Homer is Bart and Lisas dad, Julius Ceasar is a dude William wrote about . And Alexander is actually that Irish bloke Colin something

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:40 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Thanx for clearing up all my historical inaccuracies finti, I must've looked so stupid before!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:47 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

The only thing that's really immortal is mortallity itself - death never dies!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 03:31 PM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Thanx for clearing up all my historical inaccuracies finti, I must've looked so stupid before
dont you just hate it when we agree

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 03:39 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, it's much more fun to disagree. Like Nietzsche said we must not only love our enemies, but also hate our friends.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 03:41 PM
finti

yeah but Nietzsche was screwed in the head and that argument by him is ultra lame

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 05:21 PM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
yeah but Nietzsche was screwed in the head and that argument by him is ultra lame

There's actually real truth in what he said: it means that by loving our enemies we can learn from them - they disagree from us and unlike our friends they render an objective view on us - from that we can see where our shortcommings and faults are. We must hate our friends in the sense that they always agree with us and don't really tell us the truth about us - they don't point out our flaws.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 06:31 AM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

quote:
it means that by loving our enemies we can learn from them - they disagree from us and unlike our friends they render an objective view on us - from that we can see where our shortcommings and faults are.

Actually our enemies would show a bias to disliking us and often fabricate futher reasons to dislike us to justify their actions of hostility or defense. Enemies are not objective at all, in fact most of the time they are most critical and care not if their criticism are 100% true.

quote:
We must hate our friends in the sense that they always agree with us and don't really tell us the truth about us - they don't point out our flaws.

Then you have the wrong friends. A true friend can say what they have to say without fear of being condemned. If My best friend did not confront me and tell me what I didn't want to hear, then I could've made one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Perhaps Nietzsche had no true friends, and that is how he justified it. The only person who truly has no bias towards you is neither friend nor enemy, but someone who doesn't know you or someone who is apathetic to your situation. I still think that statement by Nietzsche is crap.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 01:15 PM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you think Nietzsche's statement is crap, that's your opinion - I'd suggest that you think about what he said again - why would he be considered to be the most influential modern philosopher if he uttered crap? Maybe you are misunderstanding him.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 01:29 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

I didn't think everything he said was crap, just the quote you brought forward. Not everything a genius says is pure genius.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 02:04 PM
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

I must say I always liked Lovecraft's view on immortality ~

"It is easy to remove the mind from harping on the lost illusion of immortality. The disciplined intellect fears nothing and craves no sugar-plum at the day's end, but is content to accept life and serve society as best it may. Personally I would not care for immortality in the least. There is nothing better than oblivion, since in oblivion there is no wish unfulfilled. We had it before we were born, yet did not complain. Shall we whine because we know it will return? It is Elysium enough for me, at any rate."

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 02:36 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

My opinion?????????? We are not immortal at all.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 03:05 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
philosophy in general is a bore.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Certain philosophers are a bore. But Philosophy in general isn't.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 10:12 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

Bore comes only after familiarity... that is what I say..
Bore comes after perfection... that is what philosophicus said..
so that is why familiarity=perfection....
perfection=wisdom, and so as to say familiarity=wisdom...

"The truth can be defined by different levels of familiarity" can also be written as "The truth can be defined by different levels of wisdom".. it is basicly the same!!!! And again, I have proven myself...

Feel me not.. See me not.. I'm just an illusion..

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 11:07 PM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Prove to me that we are infinite?

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 01:14 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

quote:
Originally posted by debbiejo
Prove to me that we are infinite?

What do you mean by "humans" being infinate?

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 11:34 AM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Being is infinite, but human beings are finite as individual conditions.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 12:04 PM
peterKSL
In a different dimension

explain why you state that being is infinate? and human beings are finate?? I really don't have a clue on what you are saying... embarrasment

I'm only 17 you know...

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 12:13 PM