KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Do people deserve Democracy?

Do people deserve Democracy?
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
shaber
schizoid

Yeah

(edited to add) there is something to be said for the concept of anarchy.

Last edited by shaber on Aug 1st, 2004 at 03:38 PM

Old Post Aug 1st, 2004 03:35 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteEagle
Bionic Commando

I think it's strange that America invaded Iraq claiming they we're bringing them democracy and freedom (Along with the phantom weapons of mass destruction). They were led to war by President George W Bush. There is overwhelming evidence that suggests that Bush used personal connections to turn the tide of the last American Election and other underhanded tactics that defy the very ideals of freedom and democracy itself.

See Fahrenheit 9/11 if you haven't already, it's an awesome film/documentary.

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
-Albert Camus

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 12:27 PM
WhiteEagle is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteEagle a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteEagle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

quote:
Originally posted by Into the Void
Nero was the best! big grin laughing

Nero was an emperor not a dictator their is quite a lot of difference.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 01:04 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

quote:
Originally posted by The Omega

Raven> “direct democracy leads to anarchy and tyranny when implemented on large scale.” Why do you think that is the case?

Indirect democracy can hardly BE called democracy. Ask yourself this: What can you really and truly influence in your country?
Why is it that democracy is the best form of government?

I agree with you on the fact that indirect democracy hardly can be called democracy. actualy a lot of countries (belgium being a fairly nice example) have a form of government called particracy. (which stands for the ruling by the political parties) cause it is actualy the political parties that decide everything (not even the individualis in those parties).

One person on his own can influence almost nothing in a democracy.

I don't consider democracy as being the best form of government IMO the best form of government IN THEORY is enlightened dictatorship (with a fairly enlightened dictator).

I do agree with raven that direct democracy would lead to anarchy when implemented on large scale. I think it would be impossible to organize logisticly and I think their would be a massive amount of corruption.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 01:11 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Tpt> But being able to choose among jobs and educations doesn’t require democracy as a form of government, does it?
Why is “the concept of idealism” impossible? 300 years ago the aristocracy laughed at the idea of indirect democracy, thinking peasants couldn’t possible decide anything.
I’m wary of saying anything is impossible, just because it is impossible right here and now.

Fire> Ay, we have the same form of government in Denmark. A lot of parties, you vote for one, and they rule.
Describe enlightened dictatorship, please.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 07:30 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

I think that every aspect of life must be taken into account when defining an entire system. In the UK the education system went very far downhill when the career politicians were controlling it completely. A better education system would be one where the people themselves have some control over it, eg there should be parent governors etc.

To Fire: My Dad espoused the virtues of the hypothetical "benign despotism" once too, but I don't quite see the merit of it, even were it possible.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 07:39 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I'll explain my views in a few hours smile

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 07:48 PM
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

quote:
Originally posted by The Omega

Raven> “direct democracy leads to anarchy and tyranny when implemented on large scale.” Why do you think that is the case?

It leads to alienation and manipulation by local intrests which bend it and cause the other forms of government. Originally if you think about it all civilization started as direct democracy meaning tribes lead to cheifs cheifs to warlords warlords to kings, revolution then democracy big grin .

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 08:08 PM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

Elightened dictatorship is basically a monarchy no expression but a smart ruler and a policestate messed

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 08:10 PM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Well I'll explain it within two weeks, so you all hold on to your panties till thenstick out tongue

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 08:11 PM
shaber
schizoid

The system in the UK with one vote encompassing all, coupled with the fact that the major parties are made up of the same clique with the same agendas with regards to a variety of key issues makes the system semi-oligarchic. The effects of this have benn alot more detrimental than a democratic system would have been.

I have mentioned the education system and the governmental policy of holding back classes of mixed ability to the pace of the slowest pupils. The agenda here is too prevent excellence from the majority of pupils and thereby insure the same clique continues to rule. I think C.S Lewis mentioned when describing the UK system an ancient Mediterranean despot who demonstrated that he had the same policy by knocking off the heads of the tallest stalks in a field of corn...

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 01:39 PM
shaber
schizoid

quote:
Originally posted by Fire
Nero was an emperor not a dictator their is quite a lot of difference.

Surely the emperor was an autocrat confused The practise of Rhetoric ended under the Empire. Imagine what rhetoric under an autocracy would be like; very stilted if even in existence, bleehhh sick

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 01:41 PM
Fire

not following you there shaber

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 04:12 PM
shaber
schizoid

The art of Rhetoric was no longer practised under the empire... What the f**k?

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 12:32 PM
Fire

I know but what does Rhetoric have to do with Nero being an emperor which is a lot different from a tyran.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 07:00 PM