KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Heaven coping for death?

Heaven coping for death?
Started by: JohnPreston

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Inkeeper

So the theory of matter becoming life, evolving to cope better with the water, evolving fins that would allow them better movement in shallow waters, using those fins eventaully to wlak on land, evolving further and further and further to cope better until we become what we are. A theory proven by skeletons and fossils and old cave paintings etc, is rubbish.

But the theory where a big giant man dressed in white somewhere up in the clouds got tired of listening to harps so he decided to make the world and light and creatures and everything is perfect sense?

Put it this way, if god created light while creating the earth, what of the stars that are billions of years older than the earth, did God have a lightswitch or something to turn them on when he wanted?

Im Back happy

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 01:13 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Jackie and fruits, there is an evolution thread in the general discussion forum. Maybe you should look into the facts a little deeper before you start talking about "the world is made of cells" and "people came from monkeys?"

I can understand why people would want to believe in heaven. I would love it if every time a loved one died they floated up into paradise and waited for me there, but it just seems like a fairy tale to me. I have never seen anything that would make me believe that is true, and until I do I am going to continue to believe heaven and hell is just one big fairy tale. It's not a fact, because a fact is something that's undoubtedly true.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 05:06 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aleera1138

There is no proof that there is not an afterlife...A Heaven or hell either, even a Purgatory. There is no proof that reincarnation does not exists either.

One simply does not know for sure in this life.

As for remembering Reincarnated lives...Some can...lol

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 06:04 PM
Aleera1138 is currently offline Click here to Send Aleera1138 a Private Message Find more posts by Aleera1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

You can't prove there is no afterlife.. but that doesn't mean we should by default believe that there is one. On the contrary, it would be more reasonable to believe there isn't an afterlife until we know for a fact that one exists. I am not saying "don't believe in heaven" I am just saying if you do believe in heaven that's a belief based on faith and you can't present it as a valid fact. You can't prove that aliens don't exist, but does that mean that aliens definitely do exist? No, it doesn't.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 06:48 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

If there is an afterlife, it makes sense that there was a beforelife

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 10:26 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
welll, if their isnt a heaven, and their isnt a god, and the world is just made up of cells and were just here takin up the air, then whats the point?
who said there has to be a point, if a god created the universe whats the point of all the planets, like in our system there are 8 other planets(as of our knowledge today) that just are there

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 05:00 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
Originally posted by finti
who said there has to be a point, if a god created the universe whats the point of all the planets, like in our system there are 8 other planets(as of our knowledge today) that just are there

Jupiter absorbs the bulk of the asteroids. Saturn and Mars inspire people to paint or write books on beauty or aliens. Mercury and Venus provide a comparison to the other planets, as their days are longer than their years. Uranus helps with many a Joke. Neptune and Pluto give us a time scale of the planets (in more than two hundred years Neptune will become the ninth planet again) and Sedna draws attention to the importance of ancient animalism religions (i.e. the Inuit, or Eskimos). They are all vital.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 11:48 PM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

Heaven would bring little comfort if people believe it to be a "good place" just fabricated to bring the hurting comfort....so I doubt this theory could hold true

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 04:20 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

I find it odd that people who believe in Heaven, supposedly a paradise, are more afriad to die than I am, who only believes that nothing happens after you kick the bucket.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 03:43 PM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

If some kind god was going to let you live forever in paradise (in heaven after you die), then why would he have bothered making you suffer for any time at all on earth. If you can do anything in paradise, would you also be able to make it so that you never went to earth, but just were born in paradise.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 04:27 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morningstar
-Nous tout meurt un jour-

quote:
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I agree, people deserve to know the truth. Which is why I believe people should stop believing religious lies like heaven and hell and just live life for what it's worth.

You know, religious people who believe in those 'religious lies' like heaven and hell could be offended by that statement. roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin stick out tongue smile

"If some kind god was going to let you live forever in paradise (in heaven after you die), then why would he have bothered making you suffer for any time at all on earth. If you can do anything in paradise, would you also be able to make it so that you never went to earth, but just were born in paradise."

Because God didnt make us like mindless puppets who serve him. He gave us choice and free will - to do what we want. Heaven or 'paradise' as you might say, shows God's love for us, no matter who we are, that there is somewhere better than this, that isnt fun of sin, lies, deceit etc. God doesnt 'make' us suffer. - and i'll stop there because i know finti hates it when ppl start preaching wink stick out tongue

~*Je t'aime Andrew. Pouquoi ne peux pas tu voir cela*~

Last edited by Morningstar on Nov 24th, 2004 at 11:27 PM

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 11:24 PM
Morningstar is currently offline Click here to Send Morningstar a Private Message Find more posts by Morningstar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
There is no proof that reincarnation does not exists either.

Unless you count all those people that have recovered memories from former lives...*rolls eyes*.

quote:
I find it odd that people who believe in Heaven, supposedly a paradise, are more afriad to die than I am, who only believes that nothing happens after you kick the bucket.

I am not afraid of death. I do not fear death, but that does not mean death is welcome at my door. I still have plenty of living to do smile.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 04:45 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

quote:
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak

I'd be afraid to die too if I knew that there was a heaven and a hell, cause there's nothing guaranteeing I'd be going to heaven...

Old Post Nov 27th, 2004 04:54 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
But the theory where a big giant man dressed in white somewhere up in the clouds got tired of listening to harps so he decided to make the world and light and creatures and everything is perfect sense?

How stereotyped is that? And your ignorance of the Bible makes your arguement null and void.

quote:
If some kind god was going to let you live forever in paradise (in heaven after you die), then why would he have bothered making you suffer for any time at all on earth.

Because we were made to be immortal and to be without the sufferings we live through. But then Eve screwed things up with Adam.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2004 10:48 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morningstar
-Nous tout meurt un jour-

"I'd be afraid to die too if I knew that there was a heaven and a hell, cause there's nothing guaranteeing I'd be going to heaven..."

Well u would have a guarantee of going to heaven if u accepted that Jesus died on the cross for you and submitted your life to God. *shrugs* but that's ur choice wink

~*Je t'aime Andrew. Pouquoi ne peux pas tu voir cela*~

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 07:59 AM
Morningstar is currently offline Click here to Send Morningstar a Private Message Find more posts by Morningstar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

So the only factor that determines whether I will live in paradise or burn for eternity is whether or not I accept that Jesus died on the cross for me? If that is true than Christianity is even easier than I thought. And if "submit your life to God" means live without sin, then I'd already be going to hell.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 08:46 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
So the only factor that determines whether I will live in paradise or burn for eternity is whether or not I accept that Jesus died on the cross for me? If that is true than Christianity is even easier than I thought.

It's not mean to be hard, you know. Of course, one SHOULD try to follow the standard that the Bible sets in one's own life, but if you want to risk a last-second conversion, go for it. But God will know if you're lying smile.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 09:15 PM
Afro Cheese

Oh.. so if I live a life of sin but then am genuinely converted to Christianity a few years before I die it doesn't matter how much I sinned in my life, I'll still get into heaven?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 09:18 PM
The Inkeeper

Yep, there is no unforgivable sin...the bible says so stick out tongue

it also says there IS an unforgivable sin...but whey, the bibles like that

Im Back happy

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 09:26 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
it also says there IS an unforgivable sin...but whey, the bibles like that

Blasphemy of the spirit is an unforgiveable sin. I'll excuse your ignorance on this one and point out that "blasphemy of the spirit" means the rejection of God.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 04:03 AM