KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » The Question of God

The Question of God
Started by: Philosophicus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
clickclick

quote:
Where does his order and existence come from? What ever the dimension of God is, it still must have a cause. And if God has a cause, he fails to be a God anymore. If one explains the three dimensional realm of human life in terms of being a creational result of a higher dimension – what ever that dimension may be – the problem still remains: where does that dimension come from? It is totally ridiculous to say that the universe must have a cause or a creator (as it is simply to complicated and ordered not to have been created) and then saying that there is a creator even more complicated and ordered who created the universe but who doesn’t have a cause himself?! It is a simple contradiction. In essence, what religious people are saying is: an uncaused first cause which is also intelligence with no creator has created another intelligence called human beings. Saying there is a God is saying there’s no God, because that very God or dimension that created our dimension has no creator himself! God or no God amounts effectively to the same thing, because the purpose of postulating a God is to explain existence, but we leave God out of the explanation – we are still left with something unexplained – the problem of explaining existence has remained with us! One cannot explain existence by explaining it through a creator who himself cannot be explained. a God is no answer as to the problem of existence, as the problem of existence merely shifts to God, who then needs to be explained.

What dimension exactly is it that you are talking about? What you call another dimension, I will call a metaphyiscal realm. Now, this realm we then understand is not limited by the laws of physics or nature. As in, it can be eternal, just as God is. God needs not cause, he is eternal.

Seriously man.....

Last edited by clickclick on Jan 17th, 2005 at 07:20 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:13 AM
clickclick is currently offline Click here to Send clickclick a Private Message Find more posts by clickclick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
brandino

click click do you believe that all things have a beggining

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:16 AM
brandino is currently offline Click here to Send brandino a Private Message Find more posts by brandino Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
clickclick

quote:
the existance of time and space my confused friend

Space time as we know it, scientifically speaking, is limited to the existence of the universe. Which I already addressed when I stated, what the universe?

The problem is that he wasnt specific enough in just stating existence. In a literal sense saying that existence is eternal is not descriptive enough. What does that mean? Eternality is existence without end.

Last edited by clickclick on Jan 17th, 2005 at 07:29 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:17 AM
clickclick is currently offline Click here to Send clickclick a Private Message Find more posts by clickclick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
brandino

answer my other question do you believe all things have a beggining?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:18 AM
brandino is currently offline Click here to Send brandino a Private Message Find more posts by brandino Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
clickclick

quote:
do you believe that all things have a beggining

No, I do not. I believe that all things that come into existence require a cause.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:18 AM
brandino

dont contradict yourself your saying god has a cause but if he has a cause like philo says he fails to be god anymore

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:19 AM
clickclick

quote:
dont contradict yourself your saying god has a cause but if he has a cause like philo says he fails to be god anymore

Is this a joke? To accuse me of contradicting myself is absolutely ridiculous.

God is eternal, he has no cause for his existence. The universe however came into existence.

Last edited by clickclick on Jan 17th, 2005 at 07:27 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:23 AM
brandino

im so tired its like 1 am

But by saying that you do say god has a cause because he created us for a cause did he not therefore he has made his cause for creation
but if god created us a cause then god must have a god but then gods god must to have a god for creating that god to create us. so yes you did contradict yourself by saying that god created us because that would have to be a cause to create us therefore he has a cause.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:27 AM
clickclick

quote:
But by saying that you do say god has a cause because he created us for a cause did he not therefore he has made his cause for creation but if god created us a cause then god must have a god but then gods god must to have a god for creating that god to create us. so yes you did contradict yourself by saying that god created us because that would have to be a cause to create us therefore he has a cause.

That is simply not a logical conclusion that you have made.

Just reflect on what I am saying a little more.

Anything that is eternal, has no cause for its existence.

Anything that comes into existence, has a cause.

God is eternal, nothing caused his existence.

The universe is finite, it had a cause for its existence.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:32 AM
brandino

how so have i failed if he created us regardless of enternal being or not that was a cause REGARDLESS therfore giving him a cause so i fail to see where i have screwed up

maybe im to tired to think straight but thats ok

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:34 AM
clickclick

Get some rest.

If hes a professeur of philosophy I feel very sorry for his students.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:44 AM
brandino

damnit every time your post i like hearing your words but going to that is low even for aperson brave enough to go to a philosophy forum and your right i need to go to bed
he is a prof for reason....
think about it your hanging onto religion were here to explore the other

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 07:46 AM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

clickclick - if you say God is eternal, then we might as well take God out of the picture and just say that the universe is eternal, without God- God is superfluous in the argument. Anyway, you should rather go to the religion forum - One cannot philosophise if one already came to a conclusion that God is the answer for everything - Why do you want to philosophise if God is your answer - there's nothing for you to philosophise about.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 08:16 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
clickclick

We know the universe isnt eternal though, its finite. Beyond the fact that the mere suggestion is troublesome to say the least.

You made a thread about God, about creationism and then object when I respond about it?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 08:30 AM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

OK, if the universe is not eternal, then the universe does not make up the whole infinity of existence or Being as such. The universe then, is just a small part of Existence as such, but in the end the whole of Being must be eternal to make sense.

The universe being finite or infinite is still debated - do you ever read QUANTUM theory? The leading trend at the moment is that the universe is indeed infinite - Stephen Hawking said that. There really is no consensus yet concerning the finite/infinite condition of the universe.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 08:47 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
clickclick

quote:
OK, if the universe is not eternal, then the universe does not make up the whole infinity of existence or Being as such. The universe then, is just a small part of Existence as such, but in the end the whole of Being must be eternal to make sense.

The universe being finite or infinite is still debated - do you ever read QUANTUM theory? The leading trend at the moment is that the universe is indeed infinite - Stephen Hawking said that. There really is no consensus yet concerning the finite/infinite condition of the universe.

Yes I am familiar with Quatum theory. I assume you are talking about the universe expanding and collapsing, is that correct? Or perhaps you are talking about something else and I have assumed wrong in this regard. Ive read a number of theories.

However if it is that of which you speak, I reject it on the basis of logic.

I wouldnt know that the "leading trend is that is that the universe is infinite". We know that universe is not infinite, its expanding. There is more evidence of course that the universe is finite.

In a physical sense, the physical universe, there was no existence pre singularity.

Last edited by clickclick on Jan 17th, 2005 at 09:08 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 09:03 AM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not going to argue with you anymore - you clearly are not familiar with Quantum theory and you clearly do not understand what I'm saying. I said the following: "if the universe is not eternal, then the universe does not make up the whole infinity of existence or Being as such. The universe then, is just a small part of Existence as such, but in the end the whole of Being must be eternal to make sense." Can't you read?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 09:26 AM
clickclick

quote:
I'm not going to argue with you anymore - you clearly are not familiar with Quantum theory and you clearly do not understand what I'm saying. I said the following: "if the universe is not eternal, then the universe does not make up the whole infinity of existence or Being as such. The universe then, is just a small part of Existence as such, but in the end the whole of Being must be eternal to make sense." Can't you read?

I am familiar with quatum theory. I was refering to a proposed
explanation for the existence of the universe using quatum theory.
There have been different explanations used for the existence of the universe, using quatum theory.

What would be the point of stating, "the whole of infinity"?

I read what you wrote and it is silly to say the least.

If the universe was all of existence and it was not eternal, then there would be no infinity of existence. There would be no eternity, it would just be a concept.

You like to draw conclusions that arent there. Familiarize yourself with non sequiturs. You have done it so many times that it is quite pathetic. Worst of which, I have barely been reading your stuff and already I have noticed this.

Nothing worse than an arrogant person, one who cant see the error of their ways.

Last edited by clickclick on Jan 17th, 2005 at 10:53 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:50 AM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

I read what you wrote just now and it is silly to say the least.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:58 AM
clickclick

I take that as a compliment coming from you, a guy who obviously has no clue what he is saying. The fact that you claim to be a genius is laughable.

For a guy who thinks there are no facts only opinions/interpretations, I find it bizzare that you would ever even argue with someone.

You are clearly, self contradictory and incredibly wrong much of the time.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 05:22 PM