KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Can't we all just get along?

Can't we all just get along?
Started by: Ou Be Low hoo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

Because people are hypocritical.

"I believe in equal rights."
"Do you believe in gay marriage?"
"No."
roll eyes (sarcastic)

I myself, have no problem with any sort of people whatsoever, excluding people who do intentional harm to animals - human or otherwise, and some very sick people.

I have no problem talking to mentally challenged kids or helping them out, being friends with homosexuals or blacks... we're all people.

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2005 05:11 AM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

quote:
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
I know some people here have said it is futile to discuss 'why', but this is the Philosophy Forum so no other question exists...

Your thoughts...?

I don't think it's necessarily true that the ultimate underlying purpose in all philosophy is a question of "why". It is possible to gain meaning from something without even venturing there.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2005 05:35 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
I'm going to start off by apologising, as I don't want to get bogged down in an argument regarding semantics...Sometimes I am an anal idiot and I know this...other times I am merely being facetious...

As for 'ethereal evolution'...it sounds nice, but I'm not a religious man, so I have no comprehension of that term.

Anyway...I have no illusions of grandeur in regards to this thread or this question...It was just something I have been thinking about recently as a result of the news and a book I've been reading...

I also appreciate that there is no definitive answer to the question, but I view debating as a way of either substantiating your own opinion or broadening it in light of the opinion of others...If I don't agree with a statement made, I will say so, but then I will wait for a response to see if it can change my conviction...That is the reason I sometimes will go a little OTT - just to see the faith other people have in their convictions...

Anyway, all this has been a little too soberly self-indulgent on my part, so enough about me and back to the discussion...

I read this passage recently:

'Another war is always coming. They are never properly extinguished. What sparks wars? The will to power, the backbone of human nature. The threat of violence, the fear of violence, or actual violence, is the instrument of this dreadful will. You can see the will to power in bedrooms, kitchens, factories, unions and the borders of states. Listen to this and remember it. The nation state is merely human nature inflated to monstrous proportions. QED, nations are entities whose laws are written by violence. Thus it ever was, so ever shall it be. War is humanity's eternal companion.'

So, even though I originally argues against it, perhaps 'power' is the ultimate corrupter of humanity's search for peace.

I know some people here have said it is futile to discuss 'why', but this is the Philosophy Forum so no other question exists...

Your thoughts...?

My use of the term "ethereal evolution" has no basis in religion. At least not in terms of organized religion. That was never my point. I was simply referring to that part of evolution that we(meaning anyone) don't understand.

I can agree with your quote, only in that war will always be with us. However, I differ in that war is a broad term. Simple arguments are the foundation of such things.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jan 25th, 2005 05:56 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterKSL
In a different dimension

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Revan
If you consistently insist on knowing WHY everything is the way it is, you will never get anywhere. For example, I can look at my hand, and wonder why it is shaped that way. I could say, "well, because apes' hands are shaped similarly and we evolved from them". Then I could ask myself why apes' hands are shaped that way. I could then say, "well, because they serve many practical purposes, like manipulating small objects." Then I could ask myself WHY they need to manipulate small objects. "well, because sometimes that can prove useful for things like getting food and eating it." "but WHY do apes need to eat food?" "because they would die if they didn't." "But WHY would they die if they didn't?" "Because that's the way they were designed." "But WHY were they designed that way?" "Because the way animal's bodies work is an efficient method of survival." "But WHY is it an efficient method of survival?" "There are many reasons." "But WHY are there many reasons?" "Because they are complex organisms." "But WHY are they complex organisms?".... See what I mean? I could go on forever like that, and I've completely lost sight of the original question. It's pointless, because you'll never reach a conclusion, you'll just go around in circles forever and never get anywhere. At some point you have to stop questioning why things are the way they are and just accept it.

IE, there are assholes in the world, and that's just the way things are, and it's impossible to say why.

Congratulations, you can now draw your hierarchy graph.. and you will eventually find the answer there if you search deeper.

Feel me not.. See me not.. I'm just an illusion..

Old Post Jan 25th, 2005 09:31 AM
peterKSL is currently offline Click here to Send peterKSL a Private Message Find more posts by peterKSL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I can agree with your quote, only in that war will always be with us. However, I differ in that war is a broad term. Simple arguments are the foundation of such things.

I think the quote is arguing this precise point - that individual human nature is reflected in the the behaviour of the powers that govern us...If individuals argue, then governments simply do the same on a much larger scale...

However, I think public out-pourings of support in times of global crisis' - Tsunami donations, for example - show that perhaps, humans have a greater capacity for empathy than our goverments give us credit for...

Ou, Ou, Ou is all you Need...

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 04:47 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
enema
toilet paper

Ou Be, check out Krishnamurti's Freedom From the Known. He does a better job explaning it than I could.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 05:50 AM
enema is currently offline Click here to Send enema a Private Message Find more posts by enema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
I think the quote is arguing this precise point - that individual human nature is reflected in the the behaviour of the powers that govern us...If individuals argue, then governments simply do the same on a much larger scale...

However, I think public out-pourings of support in times of global crisis' - Tsunami donations, for example - show that perhaps, humans have a greater capacity for empathy than our goverments give us credit for...

Right, it's very much the butterfly effect.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jan 27th, 2005 01:29 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

I don't think there would be outpourings over the Tsunami business if people weren't encouraged to react this way via the media channels.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2005 06:13 AM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
I don't think there would be outpourings over the Tsunami business if people weren't encouraged to react this way via the media channels.

I'm sure this is true to some extent, but the greater effect of the media is to let us bare witness to such an event like never before. This is what causes the greater charity, because we can view it so intimately and directly.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2005 08:14 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

If the media had encouraged contempt for the outcomes may would have reacted accordingly.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2005 08:49 AM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
If the media had encouraged contempt for the outcomes may would have reacted accordingly.

What a bizarre thing to say!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2005 08:53 AM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

We can never just all get along - that's a utopia.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 10:14 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Philosophicus
We can never just all get along - that's a utopia.

I asked this question from the island of idealism. The point of the discussion is why can't we all just get along? 'Human nature' is not the answer I'm looking for...think outside the box...

Old Post Feb 10th, 2005 06:13 AM