KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Obama vs George Bush

Who would you vote for
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Obama 11 61.11%
Bush 7 38.89%
Total: 18 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Obama vs George Bush
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by overlord
george bush never actually did anything important

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/P...plishments.html

That one is right wing whining which takes some things out of context or blames him for things he didn't do.

http://electjeff.wordpress.com/2009...-george-w-bush/

That one talks about his postive things. However, that is just some left-wing "ZOMG! He's liek, teh best!" rhetoric. They paint him too good there.

Somewhere inbetween is the truth of what he did.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 01:58 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

both suck, although bush has two on top of obama, dissolving magna carta and trying to militarise space. theyr both much the same to the wrest of the world.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 12:08 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by leonheartmm
both suck, although bush has two on top of obama, dissolving magna carta and trying to militarise space. theyr both much the same to the wrest of the world.
what the hell are you talking about?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 03:13 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by overlord
george bush never actually did anything important

Except those 2 wars.

Of course if by "important" you mean "good" then his work and aid to Africa completely eclipses anything done by any other country or American president.

When he 1st came into office only 50,000 Africans with aids were on anti retroviral drugs. Now 1.5 million are because of GWB.

He cancelled $34billon of debt. He increased aid spending by nearly $6billion not to mention the $1.4billion of food aid.

His work has halved number of deaths from malaria in 15 African countries.

Even Bob Geldof (Live Aid organiser) praises Bush's commitment and work in Africa.

Todd Moss who is a senior fellow at the Centre for Global Development said "I don't think it's too strong to say that President Bush's Africa policy is the most distinguished foreign policy legacy of the administration"

Some African leaders say his commitment to aid/food and medical initiatives has saved millions of lives in Africa.

So yeah...People really need to actually learn a bit about the US's role in the world during the Bush administration before making generally ignorant statements.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 04:30 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

A pity Bush was such a moron in terms of contraception when it came to helping out Africa. How long did it take him to give condoms again?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 05:44 PM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Autokrat
A pity Bush was such a moron in terms of contraception when it came to helping out Africa. How long did it take him to give condoms again?

He gave them plenty money. They could've bought their own condoms.

The problem is that many African countries are still steeped in Catholic beliefs from the missionaries started during European colonialisation. This obviously means that there's already a pressure from the religious leaders on the people to not use condoms anyway.

Not to mention there are people actively lobbying governments with massively misleading information on AIDS (particularly in South Africa). People such as Matthias Rath

I read the article above while I was on a flight coming back from holiday and was totally astounded at the bit about Zackie Achmat. Achmat is the founder of the Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) which is a small volountary organisation fighting to get anti retroviral treatment to people in South Africa. He is black, gay and is HIV positive and refuses to take the medication until it is widely available to all despite being begged by Nelson Mandela to take them to save his own life so that he could work to save others.

Matthias Rath sells herbal and vitamin pills and claims that they are more effective at treating AIDS and HIV than ARV's are. Which is completely and utter nonsense but his company's power and wealth is so large that when Achmat criticised their operations he was sued and Rath's team sent a letter to the international criminal court at the Hague trying to have Achmat indicted. Here's what it said

quote:
In view of the scale and gravity of Achmat’s crime and his direct personal criminal culpability for ‘the deaths of thousands of people’, to quote his own words, it is respectfully submitted that the International Criminal Court ought to impose on him the highest sentence provided by Article 77.1(b) of the Rome Statute, namely to permanent confinement in a small white steel and concrete cage, bright fluorescent light on all the time to keep an eye on him, his warders putting him out only to work every day in the prison garden to cultivate nutrient-rich vegetables, including when it’s raining. In order for him to repay his debt to society, with the ARVs he claims to take administered daily under close medical watch at the full prescribed dose, morning noon and night, without interruption, to prevent him faking that he’s being treatment compliant, pushed if necessary down his forced-open gullet with a finger, or, if he bites, kicks and screams too much, dripped into his arm after he’s been restrained on a gurney with cable ties around his ankles, wrists and neck, until he gives up the ghost on them, so as to eradicate this foulest, most loathsome, unscrupulous and malevolent blight on the human race, who has plagued and poisoned the people of South Africa, mostly black, mostly poor, for nearly a decade now, since the day he and his TAC first hit the scene.

Utterly shocking and disgracful way to treat a man who tirelessly campaigns to fight against AIDS.

It's very difficult to combat problems when countries are being lobbied with such misleading rubbish from one side and people are being pressured from their religious leaders on the other.

So yeah. Not giving condoms out (knowing that many people wouldn't use them anyway) on one hand but saving millions of lives on the other...I'd say he came out on a positive with regards to Africa.

Odd that you never hear about any of this in the mainstream press though eh?...Must be some sort of government conspiracy...Oh no wait...That doesn't work does it?...Must be Obama's fault...

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 11:45 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Originally posted by jaden101
He gave them plenty money. They could've bought their own condoms.

The problem is that many African countries are still steeped in Catholic beliefs from the missionaries started during European colonialisation. This obviously means that there's already a pressure from the religious leaders on the people to not use condoms anyway.

Not to mention there are people actively lobbying governments with massively misleading information on AIDS (particularly in South Africa). People such as Matthias Rath

I read the article above while I was on a flight coming back from holiday and was totally astounded at the bit about Zackie Achmat. Achmat is the founder of the Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) which is a small volountary organisation fighting to get anti retroviral treatment to people in South Africa. He is black, gay and is HIV positive and refuses to take the medication until it is widely available to all despite being begged by Nelson Mandela to take them to save his own life so that he could work to save others.

Matthias Rath sells herbal and vitamin pills and claims that they are more effective at treating AIDS and HIV than ARV's are. Which is completely and utter nonsense but his company's power and wealth is so large that when Achmat criticised their operations he was sued and Rath's team sent a letter to the international criminal court at the Hague trying to have Achmat indicted. Here's what it said

Utterly shocking and disgracful way to treat a man who tirelessly campaigns to fight against AIDS.

It's very difficult to combat problems when countries are being lobbied with such misleading rubbish from one side and people are being pressured from their religious leaders on the other.

So yeah. Not giving condoms out (knowing that many people wouldn't use them anyway) on one hand but saving millions of lives on the other...I'd say he came out on a positive with regards to Africa.

Odd that you never hear about any of this in the mainstream press though eh?...Must be some sort of government conspiracy...Oh no wait...That doesn't work does it?...Must be Obama's fault...

You know, one of the things I've struggled not to do is fall along the lines of the new atheists, but I swear it becomes nearly impossible when I look at all this religious gunk and dream of a society free of delusional nonsense.

That being said, I'll give Bush credit for Africa even if I will admit, I don't care about Africa. Maybe its just a problem with my personality, but whenever I try to induce feelings of horror and disgust at what goes on in Africa, I can't seem to feel the way everyone else does. I can oppose on principle, but I don't feel anything.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2010 03:43 AM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

That being said, I'll give Bush credit for Africa even if I will admit, I don't care about Africa. Maybe its just a problem with my personality, but whenever I try to induce feelings of horror and disgust at what goes on in Africa, I can't seem to feel the way everyone else does. I can oppose on principle, but I don't feel anything.
That's probably best. You'd go crazy if you truly cared about all the wee children starving to death. It kinda makes me depressed thinking about them.

... nah.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2010 03:51 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

You know, one of the things I've struggled not to do is fall along the lines of the new atheists, but I swear it becomes nearly impossible when I look at all this religious gunk and dream of a society free of delusional nonsense.

I don't get particularly angry or annoyed by the bad things happening in many African countries but I do get annoyed when good work goes unrecognised.

I realise Bush was far from a great president. I do wonder what any other president's reaction would have been in the wake of 9/11 though. Bush is regarded as a war monger but is it realistic to think that the American public would have backed a decision to take no real action or even the limited bombing of Al-Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan?

Did he come across as an arrogant moron a lot of the time?...Yes...His smirking and leaning over the podium when addressing serious questions annoyed me no end.

Has the post war been generally a **** up?...Yes...But it's not a president's job to plan and execute a war/peace. It is his job to put up the money for it and he did that.

I do find it highly ironic that many people consider the media machine as a tool to cover up the government's corruption and make them look good yet there was virtually no press coverage of the work carried out in Africa by the Bush administration.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2010 04:26 PM