KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Capital Wasteland Brotherhood of Steel vs NCR

Capital Wasteland Brotherhood of Steel vs NCR
Started by: Darkstorm Zero

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darkstorm Zero
Master of all Decepticons

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Liberty Prime wasn't tanking mini-nukes. For ****s sakes, not everything that has a mushroom cloud is some kind of ultimo-nuclear explosion.

Oh? So the Vertibird ordinance (Which is listed in both the GECK and Wikifiles as a Mini-Nike) is.... not a mini-nuke? Interesting....

"I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds..."

Old Post Apr 16th, 2011 05:53 PM
Darkstorm Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Darkstorm Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Darkstorm Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

What is a "mini-nuke"? Could you explain it in your own words if asked too?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 06:50 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darkstorm Zero

Sure.

It's a miniaturised nuclear warhead.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 07:23 PM
Darkstorm Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Darkstorm Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Darkstorm Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

What does that mean, is what I asked you. What is a miniaturized nuclear warhead, breh?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 07:23 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

NCR steamrolls.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 07:42 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

What is a "mini-nuke"? Could you explain it in your own words if asked too?

A (very) low-yield nuclear bomb?

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 07:44 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
A (very) low-yield nuclear bomb?
Ding ding ding.

How low is "low", though? There are to my knowledge at least ten real life yields of nuclear weapons.

Which brings me to my point. People always go so balls deep over the Liberty Prime mini-nuke thing, but they don't understand how nuclear weaponry works. "Mini" literally means "smaller than the average". But there is no average yield for nuclear weapons, so how can you have a "mini" nuke compared to a "regular" nuke? You can't.

There's no such thing as a mini-nuke, there is only nuclear and non-nuclear, and just because something is nuclear does not mean that it automatically has a certain intensity.

Meaning, "Liberty Prime tanked a mini-nuke!" is a meaningless statement, and is not an indication of its durability in any way, shape, or form.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 08:14 PM
TacDavey

Ding ding ding.

How low is "low", though? There are to my knowledge at least ten real life yields of nuclear weapons.

Which brings me to my point. People always go so balls deep over the Liberty Prime mini-nuke thing, but they don't understand how nuclear weaponry works. "Mini" literally means "smaller than the average". But there is no average yield for nuclear weapons, so how can you have a "mini" nuke compared to a "regular" nuke? You can't.

There's no such thing as a mini-nuke, there is only nuclear and non-nuclear, and just because something is nuclear does not mean that it automatically has a certain intensity.

Meaning, "Liberty Prime tanked a mini-nuke!" is a meaningless statement, and is not an indication of its durability in any way, shape, or form.

A mini nuke is basically the most powerful explosion you'll get from a weapon found in the Fallout universe. There are few explosives that have more power that are available to either side of this fight. So it IS a good representation. NCR can throw whatever they want at it, it's not going to stop it.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 08:19 PM
TacDavey is currently offline Click here to Send TacDavey a Private Message Find more posts by TacDavey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

That doesn't really have anything to do with what I said.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 08:31 PM
TacDavey

That doesn't really have anything to do with what I said.

No? I thought your point was that Liberty Prime tanking mini nukes has no bearing on the debate, because there is no way to gauge the power of a mini nuke.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 08:40 PM
TacDavey is currently offline Click here to Send TacDavey a Private Message Find more posts by TacDavey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

My point was that there is no such thing as a mini-nuke and being hit by a nuclear explosion in as of itself is not indicative of any durability limits. The fact that the mini-nuke in FA3 is the strongest weapon in the game has no bearing on that.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 08:42 PM
TacDavey

My point was that there is no such thing as a mini-nuke and being hit by a nuclear explosion in as of itself is not indicative of any durability limits. The fact that the mini-nuke in FA3 is the strongest weapon in the game has no bearing on that.

There's also no such thing as a lazer gun. Or a tesla canon. Since when are we applying realistic laws to a fantasy game?

In the Fallout universe there IS such thing as a mini nuke.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 09:32 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Can you show me a mini-nuke in the game? I am aware of a weapon that is called a mini-nuke, but I have not see an actual mini-nuke.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 12:03 AM
NemeBro

Originally posted by TacDavey
A mini nuke is basically the most powerful explosion you'll get from a weapon found in the Fallout universe. There are few explosives that have more power that are available to either side of this fight. So it IS a good representation. NCR can throw whatever they want at it, it's not going to stop it.
Only by actual feats, the destruction of Boulder City is far superior to what destroyed Liberty Prime, your own fanwank means little. smile

Oh, and House's super awesome Lucky 38 laser cannons I guess.

DSZ, I will answer your word-quilt (I assume, have not really looked at it) later, or maybe I will not. It is so hard to say.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 01:56 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darkstorm Zero

The very fact that your trying to compare a known miniature nuclear weapon fired from a MANPAD to a full scale actual Fatman (IE: like the one in Megaton) is silly. Nobody here ever said that even the Experimental MIRV compares to the Megaton bomb.

Your comparing several dozen tonnes of TNT sized blasts (For the Mini-Nuke) to a full scale Nuke detonation (25 Megatonnes at the very least).

Are you going to educate us on how nuclear weaponry works in Fallout now? because it seems to me that your trying to apply a real world context to it. There is none. Fallout is a fantasy, with fantasy weapons.

Thermonuclear detonation, no matter the size, has a flashpoint of tens of thousands of degrees, about as much as the surface temperatures of some stars. it is this factor plus the shockwave that does most of the bombs damage. The radiation is an aftereffect. Now obviously, the bigger the detonation, the larger area the flashpoint covers and the larger the shockwave. However, that doesn't explain Liberty Prime's ability to shrug off direct hits by these mini-bombs, he'd be right inside the flashpoint, and yet, nothing. This also says something for direct missile hits, countless laser and plasma shots harmlessly plinking off him.

Already explained. A smaller nuclear detonation is still a nuclear detonation. And again; nobody said he could tank an actual full scaled nuclear blast, given what DID eventually down him had the same effect on Megaton as what a full scaled nuke did.

Oh? so tanking a weapon that has set limits and feats is suddenly inadmissable because you cant figure out how it works? Wierd.... And I thought it was because "He didn't tank mini-nukes" a few posts ago...

Can you show me a mini-nuke in the game? I am aware of a weapon that is called a mini-nuke, but I have not see an actual mini-nuke.

(please log in to view the image)
Here are the Mini-Nuke and the Fatman Launcher that fires them.

And this is how the weapon is used in-game.

Originally posted by NemeBro
Only by actual feats, the destruction of Boulder City is far superior to what destroyed Liberty Prime, your own fanwank means little. smile

Only we never see the destruction of Boulder City, and so trying to draw up a comparative is utterly meaningless. Especially considering what eventually destroyed Prime had the power to destroy Megaton in a fasion only a full scale Nuclear Blast could match. It leveled the Citadel to an extent unmached by anything else in the game, and it mission killed the Base Crawler. Hell man, the Bradley-Hercules Sat Missiles make ARCHIMEDES look like shit, considering the Satelite Laser didn't even damage the Solar Panels when it was set on automatic to level the NCR at Helios One.

Oh, and House's super awesome Lucky 38 laser cannons I guess.

Which are effectively featless exept for shooting down Bombs and Missiles something today's tech is capable of doing.

DSZ, I will answer your word-quilt (I assume, have not really looked at it) later, or maybe I will not. It is so hard to say.

I'll be waiting.

Last edited by Darkstorm Zero on Apr 18th, 2011 at 07:16 AM

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 07:10 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Darkstorm Zero
[B]The very fact that your trying to compare a known miniature nuclear weapon fired from a MANPAD to a full scale actual Fatman (IE: like the one in Megaton) is silly. Nobody here ever said that even the Experimental MIRV compares to the Megaton bomb.

I never said it did or didn't, that's inconsequential to my point.

quote:
Your comparing several dozen tonnes of TNT sized blasts (For the Mini-Nuke) to a full scale Nuke detonation (25 Megatonnes at the very least).

I'm not making any comparisons at all.

quote:
Are you going to educate us on how nuclear weaponry works in Fallout now? because it seems to me that your trying to apply a real world context to it. There is none. Fallout is a fantasy, with fantasy weapons.

So? That doesn't mean that I'm wrong.

quote:
Thermonuclear detonation, no matter the size, has a flashpoint of tens of thousands of degrees, about as much as the surface temperatures of some stars. it is this factor plus the shockwave that does most of the bombs damage. The radiation is an aftereffect. Now obviously, the bigger the detonation, the larger area the flashpoint covers and the larger the shockwave. However, that doesn't explain Liberty Prime's ability to shrug off direct hits by these mini-bombs, he'd be right inside the flashpoint, and yet, nothing. This also says something for direct missile hits, countless laser and plasma shots harmlessly plinking off him.

Absolutely.

quote:
Already explained. A smaller nuclear detonation is still a nuclear detonation.

I needn't go any further, since you agree with me then, I guess.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 07:19 AM
Darkstorm Zero

I never said it did or didn't, that's inconsequential to my point.

You said you can't find a real world equivalent, or can explain the weapon, therefore it's invalid.

I'm not making any comparisons at all.

But you did, you made the comparison on the basis that the Mini-Nuke does not jack up to Megatonne yields like a real nuke would and therefore it's featless against Liberty Prime, despite the fact that even though the Fatman is nowhere near real nuke yields, it is by far the strongets weapon available to the player (And NPCs by extension). The entire point of that feat was to demonstrate that even if the NCR was better equipped, it wouldn't mean anything against Prime.

So? That doesn't mean that I'm wrong.

In the context of the debate? Yes it is. You cannot apply physics to something that does not exist, is not testable, falsifiable and makes no predictions. That makes the fatman Launcher and it's ammo Science Fiction, not Scientific Theory.

Absolutely.

If you agree, then what was your point?

I needn't go any further, since you agree with me then, I guess.

Again, why would you downplay a feat if you agree with the specifics? The entire premise was that Prime withstands Mini-Nukes, not full scale ones. And Mini-Nukes being the absolute best that the NCR can throw at him?

Now, I understand that you had a issue with some people reveling in the fact that rime withstands mini-nukes, and whoever they where, pretty mch used that feat to make him an invincible machine-god on par with the likes of Optimus Prime and the Night Bringer, but that issue had nothing to do with me, and have seen far better feats in other media.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 09:55 AM
FinalAnswer
Flower

Now that the New Vegas DLC is done, I feel I should bump this, just to point out that, thanks to The Courier having Big MT at his back and call, the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood can kiss its technological advantages goodbye.

And that The Courier would hand The Lone Wanderer his ass to him on a silver platter.

Howdy!

Old Post Mar 10th, 2012 02:33 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darkstorm Zero

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Now that the New Vegas DLC is done, I feel I should bump this, just to point out that, thanks to The Courier having Big MT at his back and call, the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood can kiss its technological advantages goodbye.

And that The Courier would hand The Lone Wanderer his ass to him on a silver platter.

Big Mt Tech vs Zeta tech? Surely you jest sir!

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 11:20 AM
FinalAnswer
Flower

Big MT Tech creates armies of invulnerable holograms and teleporters.

And cazadores.

Howdy!

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 02:06 PM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote