KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Surtur W/Twilight Sword Vs DP Tyrant

Surtur W/Twilight Sword Vs DP Tyrant
Started by: Colossus-Big C

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Odin also pulled out a weapon to increase his blasting power..

Gungnir doesn't increase Odin's blasting power, especially not when by feats, his scepter is more impressive than Gungnir. There's also the fact that Odin's best feats and displays of power are completely independent of any item.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 06:02 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Odin one shotting Surfer is perfectly within the realm of feasibility given Odin's feats.
What about given Surfer's feats?

Yes high end Odin vs. average Surfer yields one shot Surfer
otherwise maybe not so much

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post May 15th, 2013 06:05 PM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by h1a8
What about given Surfer's feats?

Yes high end Odin vs. average Surfer yields one shot Surfer
otherwise maybe not so much

Given Surfer's feats as well, if Odin wanted to one shot Surfer, he very well could.

Said one shot was from an Odin grossly holding back.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 06:07 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KuRuPT Thanosi

Gungnir doesn't increase Odin's blasting power, especially not when by feats, his scepter is more impressive than Gungnir. There's also the fact that Odin's best feats and displays of power are completely independent of any item.

Ummm it actually doesn't.. it doesn't increase odin's power.. but since it makes it easier to channel and focus his power.. thus it does something beneficial for him. Hence why he brings it out. Let's not act like it does ntohing and Odin is stupid enough to make a weapon that does nothing let alone bring it out when it does nothing. It does something and that much is clear. Point is, Tyrant never needed to nor did he ever decide to bring out a weapon. Glad you didn't dispute all the other points I brough up as well.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 06:14 PM
KuRuPT Thanosi is currently offline Click here to Send KuRuPT Thanosi a Private Message Find more posts by KuRuPT Thanosi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Ummm it actually doesn't.. it doesn't increase odin's power.. but since it makes it easier to channel and focus his power.. thus it does something beneficial for him. Hence why he brings it out. Let's not act like it does ntohing and Odin is stupid enough to make a weapon that does nothing let alone bring it out when it does nothing. It does something and that much is clear. Point is, Tyrant never needed to nor did he ever decide to bring out a weapon. Glad you didn't dispute all the other points I brough up as well.

You could argue for that one issue that Gungnir was treated as a sort of tool to better channel his power while in his regular form (That's why he needs to grow to skyrocket his power) which he used the Scepter of power for classically, but that's it.

Otherwise it's just a nice big indestructible spear that he can channel energy through. It has some enchantments like returning to his hand, never missing IIRC in some of the more sword and sorcery stories but it has no reflection on the All-Father's power level.

Wait, are you trying to say that Tyrant came off more impressive because Odin used his spear? You literally just admitted it does nothing for his power levels.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 06:23 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

love the sword

thank u bz

Old Post May 15th, 2013 06:27 PM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Odin one shotting Surfer is perfectly within the realm of feasibility given Odin's feats.
I agree.

I was about to disagree due to Surfer withstanding multiple blasts from Tenebrous and Aegis during Annihilation, but I just recalled that Galactus amped his powers before that scuffle. Never thought about it before, but that showing is a huge testament to how drastic Surfer's amp was.

Pre-amp, Surfer is casually one-shotted by Odin. Post-amp, Surfer endures repeated attacks from T&A without being so much as momentarily incapacitated.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on May 15th, 2013 at 06:44 PM

Old Post May 15th, 2013 06:36 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by abhilegend
Yeah, she twoshotted him. Big whoop. She is Odin level too and was specifically holding back.

Korvac isn't a skyfather.

Mrrungo's main tactic didn't work on surfer, i.e. absorbing.

I'm talking about Defenders 100 where mephisto killed him. A showing where Mephisto showed skyfather level power against galactus oneshotted surfer. How surprising!

Nitpick..

Classic Korvac is beyond Skyfather...

That point was continously emphasized in that arc; specifically it was emphasized that he was beyond Odin (who, of course, is the highest Skyfather)...

Also, when Korvac failed to one-shot the Surfer, he was toying with him; when he got serious he simply melted the silver coating on the Surfers body...

Old Post May 15th, 2013 06:38 PM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KuRuPT Thanosi

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
You could argue for that one issue that Gungnir was treated as a sort of tool to better channel his power while in his regular form (That's why he needs to grow to skyrocket his power) which he used the Scepter of power for classically, but that's it.

Otherwise it's just a nice big indestructible spear that he can channel energy through. It has some enchantments like returning to his hand, never missing IIRC in some of the more sword and sorcery stories but it has no reflection on the All-Father's power level.

Wait, are you trying to say that Tyrant came off more impressive because Odin used his spear? You literally just admitted it does nothing for his power levels.

Yup we are pretty much in agreement that it does somethign.. which was my only point to Jake. The other points on why Tyrant woudl win and above Odin are on the previous page Rage. Long time man.. how you been?

Old Post May 15th, 2013 06:42 PM
KuRuPT Thanosi is currently offline Click here to Send KuRuPT Thanosi a Private Message Find more posts by KuRuPT Thanosi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Originally posted by Galan007
I agree.

I was about to disagree due to Surfer withstanding multiple blasts from Tenebrous and Aegis during Annihilation, but I just recalled that Galactus amped his powers before that scuffle. Never thought about it before, but that showing is a huge testament to how drastic Surfer's amp was.

Pre-amp, Surfer is casually one-shotted by Odin. Post-amp, Surfer endures repeated attacks from T&A without being so much as momentarily incapacitated.

And would still lose to Thor. smile

Was Surfer amped? It's been a long time since I read that Annihilation comic and I remember people going back and forth on it. Me? I just think it was a high showing for Surfer and I doubt he'd do any better against Odin today. If we do a tally of how many times Surfer has withstood a hit from someone from Odin's level and above compared to how many times less has knocked him out, it'd be one lopsided list.

Yup we are pretty much in agreement that it does somethign.. which was my only point to Jake. The other points on why Tyrant woudl win and above Odin are on the previous page Rage. Long time man.. how you been?

What I pointed out was literally the best argument possible for your position and I honestly don't know if you could support it. It all hinges on speculation as to what Starlin was going for which you can never actually prove. Because as I said, ultimately all evidence just points to it being an indestructible spear, I don't know that it does anything for Odin at all. At least the Scepter was designed to allow him to better channel his own internal energies but that was never the case with Gungnir.

I'll be honest, I won't read that wall of text and break it down. I've read both fights and I have no idea how Tyrant looks superior to Odin against Thanos and the Heralds.

I'm alright, busy studying and working. How about you?

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:02 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KuRuPT Thanosi

We've been over this before anyways so no need to respond. It's just clear than Tyrant did better aganist Thanos and Galactus imo. Well the spear has been said to better channel and focus his power as well. I'm not saying it increases his power but it does something, and that much shoudl be clear.

Pretty much the same.. work.. play.. poker.. drinking.. repeat.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:07 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus

We've been over this before anyways so no need to respond. It's just clear than Tyrant did better aganist Thanos and Galactus imo. Well the spear has been said to better channel and focus his power as well. I'm not saying it increases his power but it does something, and that much shoudl be clear.

Pretty much the same.. work.. play.. poker.. drinking.. repeat.

I don't believe he looked better against Thanos but it's been a while since I read his fight with Galactus.

You say that, but what does it do? You can't hinge an argument on his spear adding something and not even have a guess as to what that is lol. Like I said, best case, argue that its possible Starlin confused the spear's purpose for the Scepter of power. Otherwise all evidence supports the opposition, we've seen Odin describe the spear.

Well, hope you're having fun, school is killing me but I'm making good money at my new job so whatever.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:10 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Was Surfer amped?
Seems like that was the intention:
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/15848556/1.jpg.html

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:22 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

You know why Big ODG... Cause of how they did respectively against common foes....
I just told you how they did against their respective foes. Thanos didn't budge Odin. Thanos toppled DP Tyrant several times. Silver Surfer and Drax got casually one-shotted by Odin. A weakened Surfer, Gladiator and Beta Ray Bill weren't one-shotted by DP Tyrant. Prevaricating around that is rather fruitless.

Pretty simple.

Revamped Thor Respect Thread Revamped Loki Respect Thread
Revamped Hulk Respect Thread Revamped Iron Man Respect Thread

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:32 PM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zopzop
Lord of the Great Abyss

Seems like that was the intention:
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/15848556/1.jpg.html

He wasn't one shotted before that, when they first met though, right?

I also recall someone posted a scan that Galactus merely released him from his mental inhibitions.

..even the outer hells are indifferent matters for they bow only to potent and archaic Nodens.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:32 PM
zopzop is currently offline Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

That scene is open to debate, imo.

Galactus mentions he can give him "new power", but also states he'll "restore" him. Personally, I think he merely brought Surfer back to his peak power levels. Fraction's Defenders or Mighty Thor (the last time we saw him on a regular basis) certainly didn't seem to portray Surfer as being amped beyond his traditional levels.

I can see why people would consider it an explicit amp, though in the context of the stories. Just seems that after said stories, he wasn't any more significantly powerful than he had ever been, imho.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:36 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by zopzop
He wasn't one shotted before that, when they first met though, right?

I also recall someone posted a scan that Galactus merely released him from his mental inhibitions.
Galactus says in that scan: "I can grant you new power." To me, that statement implies that he amped Surfer. /shrug

But like Jake mentioned above: Galactus may have just restored Surfer's previous power levels. Seemed like an amp in the series itself, though. /shrug x2

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:37 PM
ODG

Originally posted by ODG
Galactus offered Surfer several things: (i) will; (ii) renewed power; and (iii) no more remorse. Silver Surfer refuses the offer to take away his remorse. Galactus restores his will and his power. Which is confirmed here, "Galactus welcomes the Surfer back as his Herald, restoring his power and resolve":

(please log in to view the image)
If it were just words, you could argue that an upgrade didn't bear out on-panel. But his subsequent fight with Ravenous and Ravenous' poor, dumbstruck complexion afterwards made it abundantly clear that it did.

Revamped Thor Respect Thread Revamped Loki Respect Thread
Revamped Hulk Respect Thread Revamped Iron Man Respect Thread

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:39 PM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

^ Galactus says in that scan: "I can grant you new power." To me, that statement implies that he amped Surfer. /shrug

True enough, but do you think Surfer since Annihilation and that scene has been portrayed as being > Surfer as he's typically always been?

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:39 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

See my edit.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 07:40 PM