KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » If we time-travelled and changed things, would the outcome be worse?

If we time-travelled and changed things, would the outcome be worse?
Started by: BlackC@t

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
neo313
spartan 117

i was reading about the theory of tenseless time, and basically it says that time extends in all directions, but we simply lack the ability to see into the future, even thought it is already there. as the future is constantly coming into view, it creates the illusion that time is "passing", and events are happening right that moment or something like that... i duno i thought it was interesting. the weirdest thing about it is that everything in the future has already happened, it just seems like its happening at the moment that you experience it. could someone please explain this to me?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 01:36 AM
neo313 is currently offline Click here to Send neo313 a Private Message Find more posts by neo313 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

yeah. events in the future HAVE already happenned (in the future), but we have just not yet been able to observe them yet.

However, another way of thinking of it is that at every point in time, the timeline diverges into however many ways that the next event can take place (or into as many different timelines as there are possible events).

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 10:20 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

The future has not yet happend, and will never happen. You are just talking about parallel existences. The theory of parallele existence was created to cover up the dasterdly mistake of having three timelines constantly occuring, which are past, present and future.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 10:24 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

past present and future are different points (or directions) in the same timeline (like backwards and forwards on the same timeline), whereas each timeline is constantly diverging, and we are only on ONE of those possible timelines, as there is is a different one for each possibility that might or might not occur.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 10:39 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

Time travel is impossible.

But if it were, the future would probably be different every time you went there because the various possibilities.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:01 PM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cornponious
Kuntrious Kokious Maximus

Well, actually, Einstein theorized that time travel IS possible. The only problem is that in order to do it, you must exceed the speed of light. And when you do that, all matter transforms to energy.

Which is kind of a bummer.

You know, E=mc^2, where E equals the energy, m is the mass that disappears, and c^2 is the square of the speed of light.

Kid's stuff.

corn

The Moto Dork

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:11 PM
cornponious is currently offline Click here to Send cornponious a Private Message Find more posts by cornponious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cornponious
Kuntrious Kokious Maximus

Of course, if you DID actually manage to travel to the past, you would invariably change SOME aspect of future events.

That much is certain.

corn

The Moto Dork

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:16 PM
cornponious is currently offline Click here to Send cornponious a Private Message Find more posts by cornponious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Yeah. Most scientists do say that the outcome would actually be worse then it was before.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2004 03:47 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

You can't control what an effect it will have or how far it will reach. I won't say it'll be worse, sure as Hell be different though.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 14th, 2004 06:00 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches
And then they can have all of the local woman for themselves big grinbig grinbig grin

They only have to find an area that they have proved did not contain any ancestors of the people in the modern world, and then they can do whatever they like and get away with it, as their futuristic technology will be able to cover it up. Like when they get bored, they can just move out and nuke the area, leaving no evidence of their existance there

I don't think they nuke it. That would cause too much radiation. They just move anyone who works out something into a mental asylum, by getting a government order from a future government.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2004 11:08 PM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
assuming you could travel back in time, this would mean there would have to be atleast two timelines of existence. Changing somthing in the past could potentially completely destroy the present timeline you traveled from to reach the past.

Lets say you went back and killed hitler. The change in the present time you came from, where millions of jews and people were slaughtered could not change instantaneously. you have have 80 year old jewish people appearing out of no where. you would have all the people that died in the war appear out of no where.

Lets say also you traveled back in time and changed somthing that prevented you from being born. this would change stop you from going back in time and changing the events that stopped you from being born in the first place, so the only thing you would have done is erase yourself from existence.

Time travel is an impossible theory. The closest thing we have to seeing in the future and past is the stars

If you killed your grandfather, there would be two realities, one where he was dead, one where he was alive. You'd be in the dead one, where he was always dead. It wouldn't have any affect on the alive one, except that you'd no longer be in there. That's how the theory goes, anyway.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2004 11:14 PM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

quote:
Originally posted by cornponious
Well, actually, Einstein theorized that time travel IS possible. The only problem is that in order to do it, you must exceed the speed of light. And when you do that, all matter transforms to energy.

Ah, but he didnt mean that NOTHING can travel faster than the speed o flight. He just meant that nothing can accellerate towards the speed of light. Therefore, things which are (and always have been) faster than the speed of light cannot decellerate to reach the speed of light.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2004 09:24 AM
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
Ah, but he didnt mean that NOTHING can travel faster than the speed o flight. He just meant that nothing can accellerate towards the speed of light. Therefore, things which are (and always have been) faster than the speed of light cannot decellerate to reach the speed of light.

Unfortunately only Quantum effects do that. My theory on how people are going to exceed light speed is that a gravity beam will be fired, bending the space in on itself, shortening the distance and time. Gravity, and negating gravity, are more useful than antigravity as far as I can see.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2004 07:39 PM
eleveninches
God of my own world

If we created a wormhole to a part of the galaxy 50'000 light years away that could see earth, then we could sent a MASSIVE telescope there which could look back at the light coming from earth, and see what was happenning on earth 50'000 years ago. Similar methods thousands of years in the future could be used by historians to solve all crimes and mysteries of the past.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2004 09:43 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Then technically could we not use that same Quantum effects/wormhole theory in reverse to see into the future?

Wooooooooo, find out after the break.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 16th, 2004 07:05 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote:
If we created a wormhole to a part of the galaxy 50'000 light years away that could see earth, then we could sent a MASSIVE telescope there which could look back at the light coming from earth, and see what was happenning on earth 50'000 years ago. Similar methods thousands of years in the future could be used by historians to solve all crimes and mysteries of the past.

The problem is that you need two worms hole that are formed together or come together in connection. This even is nearly impossible. Besides, light cannot even escape a black hole, how would radio frequencies, or microwaves be able to escape it to be transmitted back to our recievers? If black holes can swallow up galaxies, i highly doubt that anything in the form of matter would survive being sucked into oblivion.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2004 07:56 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Travel through the wormhole to a point far away in space, then use a spaceship to move to another point in space that can see the light from earth

Old Post Nov 17th, 2004 09:24 AM
jinXed by JaNx

there are not two different Earths existing in two different times somewhere in space though.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2004 08:55 PM
eleveninches
God of my own world

Well, there could theoretically be another earth in the same orbit as our earth but on the other side of the sun

Old Post Nov 18th, 2004 09:56 AM
Cipher
Non-Entity

I thought the problem with travelling at the speed of light is that you would need an infinite (or nearly infinite) source of power.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2004 08:16 AM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote