KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Feminists outraged by Batgirl Cover....DC bows down...

Are you offended by this cover art?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
yes 4 18.18%
no 18 81.82%
Total: 22 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feminists outraged by Batgirl Cover....DC bows down...
Started by: vansonbee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Q99

quote:
roughrider
The artist agrees with the pulling of the cover.

More than agreed, it was his request smile

All in all, he's been a class act through this.

quote:
-PR-
I already said I had no problem with it not fitting the theme of the book.

You don't, many fans do. Whether or not you personally don't isn't exactly material to the company's decision- I didn't want Hal Jordan back but I understood there was plenty who did.

quote:
If that had been all the writer/DC/the people complaining had cared about, I doubt we'd even be having this conversation.

it's all the extra shit that gets tagged on to it.

The extra, legitimate complaints that people are tired of being dragged up in out-of-theme ways on their female characters.

Just because people find something sexist and problematic doesn't make their complaints less valid than 'merely' out of theme. Rather, it means they have additional complaints on the subject.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JayDaDon
The problem is that the characters involved change things and add important context. If people are disturbed by the image or the content of Killing Joke they should just say that instead of making it about sexism.

Except, the problem with that is directly tied to sexism. How female heroines tend to be portrayed more victimized than the male ones (and 'victimized' being the key word- shown as-a-victim, rather than just afraid or in peril, which is common).

Additionally.... does it even matter why? A lot of people who followed the book complained. The artist and company then pulled it.

You know, as is their prerogative whenever a company gets early wind that something might not fly.

Like, remember awhile back when DC was rumored to be killing off John Stewart and the writer-to-be of GL quit before his run started? And then they *didn't* kill off John Stewart even though it was their plan, because the reaction of fans of, "That would be horrible, don't do that!" changed their mind?

It's really not much of a different thing. They, as the makers of a creative product, are allowed to change their mind. Sometimes the reason they change their minds is complaints of sexism, and a number of people overreact when people change their mind in response to such calls, but it's as valid to change their mind about as any other thing. Heck, more-so, because it is an issue that is very sensitive to a lot of people, but a lot of people act like because it's something people are sensitive (or because it involves sexism/feminist/what have you), it shouldn't be listened to... which isn't exactly a solid chain of logic.

A very nice quote I bumped into on the subject:
"The more you dilute the meaning of freedom of expression and censorship, the less you'll recognize it when it actually happens."

A company did a preview of a product. Fans gave feedback. In response to feedback, one of the people directly involved in making part of the product asked for things to be changed.

If this wasn't about a female character being victimized and thus is viewed as a feminist complaint, this wouldn't get any backlash to speak of. Because it is, it gets a disproportionate reaction.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 07:03 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

You missed the point when I said Tim Drake would have been just as scared and broken up if he was put in the same situation or cover pose. That breaks down the whole argument of sexism.
Barbara, like Tim, was still quite young when the Joker came and gave her the first reality check of her career. It was mostly all fun and games before that. We can't even begin to compare her to male heroes like Batman or Superman at that point. We gotta compare her to another young, less experienced, less hardened hero for the comparison to even begin to make sense.

Last edited by BruhMan on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 02:56 PM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 02:54 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

From what I've heard, one of the artists pretty much bullied the writer to get the cover on, which the writer wasn't happy about because it went against his theme.

Regardless, I don't see a problem with the cover. I know all about "women in fridges" and a fair bit about gender and class conflicts, and by their nature there's a ton of baggage that makes it impossible to please everyone... Even a hint of weakness or political incorrectness can get the watchdogs barking.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 03:20 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

You missed the point when I said Tim Drake would have been just as scared and broken up if he was put in the same situation or cover pose. That breaks down the whole argument of sexism.
Barbara, like Tim, was still quite young when the Joker came and gave her the first reality check of her career. It was mostly all fun and games before that. We can't even begin to compare her to male heroes like Batman or Superman at that point. We gotta compare her to another young, less experienced, less hardened hero for the comparison to even begin to make sense.

I agree.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 03:49 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

And let's not forget poor Jason.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 04:09 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One-Punch
B-Class Hero

Originally posted by Q99
Except, the problem with that is directly tied to sexism. How female heroines tend to be portrayed more victimized than the male ones (and 'victimized' being the key word- shown as-a-victim, rather than just afraid or in peril, which is common).

Do you have hard evidence showing that female heroes are shown 'victimized' significantly more than male heroes in mainstream comics? This sounds like unfounded gender activists propaganda to me. I'd like to see some proof.

And I wonder how many of people who complained on Twitter about this supposedly controversial cover were actually 'comic fans', and not just online social justice bandwagon hoppers who happen to be tagged.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 04:48 PM
One-Punch is currently offline Click here to Send One-Punch a Private Message Find more posts by One-Punch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
People are such idiots. Promotes rape culture? Lol, give me a f*cking break.

:

Dude, this is nothing. Miss America promoting learning self defense got people up in arms for promoting rape culture. sick

Because, talking about risk reduction is totally the same thing as blaming the victim.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 04:52 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Q99
[B]Oh hey!

Someone did a cool Superman version, to illustrate how we don't really get this kind of victimization-image with male heroes. I've certainly never seen a cover like that! Even if they're beaten or afraid or captured, the context is usually a lot different.

Change Doomsday to Thor and RageofOlympus would declare it the best comic of all time.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 05:23 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One-Punch
B-Class Hero

This reminds of the time when Nasa scientist Matt Taylor (forget the fact that he helped land a rover on a speeding comet) was e-bullied by gender activists for a shirt he wore at an interview...even though that shirt was a gift from a female friend.
Source

Or when a university banned the salutations 'Mr, Mrs, and Ms' because it supposedly perpetuated gender discrimination. Ironic because a feminist (Gloria Steinem) coined the term 'Ms.' for unattached women to use, instead of always being defined by the man she marries (i.e., Mrs).
Source

This super uptight PC culture we have is maddening. Now we have people complaining this Batgirl comic cover is sexist. People are allowed to complain, but it doesn't mean their complaints are worth listening to, especially when they're based more on feelings than actual evidence sexism.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 05:27 PM
One-Punch is currently offline Click here to Send One-Punch a Private Message Find more posts by One-Punch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by One-Punch
Do you have hard evidence showing that female heroes are shown 'victimized' significantly more than male heroes in mainstream comics? This sounds like unfounded gender activists propaganda to me. I'd like to see some proof.

And I wonder how many of people who complained on Twitter about this supposedly controversial cover were actually 'comic fans', and not just online social justice bandwagon hoppers who happen to be tagged.

They're not. Male heroes are victimised far more than female ones.

Primarily because there are far more Male superheroes than female ones, but it's not just that.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 05:46 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

quote:
Weak and terrified, yes. Crying, helpless at a villain's mercy, with no help in sight (the 'one character is in danger, a friend is there to help,' is an old standby, since of course it implies they'll get free), and in a reference to a sexualized story?

I'd like an example.

It might not exactly fit, but I can show you a cover where a male hero is at the mercy of a villain and begging for his life, with his friends (the cavalry) dead around him.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/f...four/556-15.jpg

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 05:55 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

This reminds of the time when Nasa scientist Matt Taylor (forget the fact that he helped land a rover on a speeding comet) was e-bullied by gender activists for a shirt he wore at an interview...even though that shirt was a gift from a female friend.
Source

Or when a university banned the salutations 'Mr, Mrs, and Ms' because it supposedly perpetuated gender discrimination. Ironic because a feminist (Gloria Steinem) coined the term 'Ms.' for unattached women to use, instead of always being defined by the man she marries (i.e., Mrs).
Source

This super uptight PC culture we have is maddening. Now we have people complaining this Batgirl comic cover is sexist. People are allowed to complain, but it doesn't mean their complaints are worth listening to, especially when they're based more on feelings than actual evidence sexism.

I think the problem is more the reaction. It should logically go like this:

Complainer: I don't like this, because X

Counter-complainer: I disagree, because Y

But instead it more often goes like this:

Counter-complainer: You radical feminazi tumblr SJW PC-obsessed ****! How dare you express an opinion that differs with mine! I hope you get raped and killed!

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 05:59 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Endless Mike

Counter-complainer: You radical feminazi tumblr SJW PC-obsessed ****! How dare you express an opinion that differs with mine! I hope you get raped and killed!

laughing out loud

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 06:02 PM
One-Punch
B-Class Hero

Originally posted by Endless Mike

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 07:47 PM
krisblaze

^extra funny with the Thanos sig.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 07:57 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

No, the point is, show us any cover with Tim Drake looking like a terrified soon-to-be rape victim (even if that's not what's about to happen, but it conveys the message.) We won't find such a cover because they consider it unmanly to show a male hero look like that, but they think it's more realistic to show a female hero like that.

You saying such a thing would happen isn't enough. It's what DC has actually published and put on a cover that matters.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Last edited by roughrider on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 08:45 PM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 08:40 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One-Punch
B-Class Hero

Speaking of Thanos... does anybody remember the time when the Cabal massacred the X-men on an alternate Earth?

Here's Xavier broken and vulnerable, crying blood, forced by Thanos to beg for death.

To top it all off, Thanos even has a 'rapey' looking face. And given that Thanos is literally in love with death, maybe its not far off.

On the 'victimization' scale from 1 to 10, I wonder where this would be placed.

Answer: [SPOILER - highlight to read]: 0 out of 10 ...because Xavier is male, and male heroes are never victimized in comics

But seriously, someone give me hard evidence that shows that female heroes are victimized more than male heroes in comics. I'm curious, there must be research showing this sexist disparity in comics, if not then it almost seems like this complaint about sexism in comics is...baseless?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 08:44 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Speaking of Thanos... does anybody remember the time when the Cabal massacred the X-men on an alternate Earth?

Here's Xavier broken and vulnerable, crying blood, forced by Thanos to beg for death.

To top it all off, Thanos even has a 'rapey' looking face. And given that Thanos is literally in love with death, maybe its not far off.

On the 'victimization' scale from 1 to 10, I wonder where this would be placed.

Answer: [SPOILER - highlight to read]: 0 out of 10 ...because Xavier is male, and male heroes are never victimized in comics

But seriously, someone give me hard evidence that shows that female heroes are victimized more than male heroes in comics. I'm curious, there must be research showing this sexist disparity in comics, if not then it almost seems like this complaint about sexism in comics is...baseless?

I wonder why so many people can't understand the simple request of a cover example. Not individual panels...a cover. (Am I speaking English? I think so.)That's the first thing you see, and it's what the publisher and editor are using to sell the issue. In all the pages of this thread, no one has come up with a male hero parallel to the Batgirl cover.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 08:52 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by roughrider
No, the point is, show us any cover with Tim Drake looking like a terrified soon-to-be rape victim (even if that's not what's about to happen, but it conveys the message.) We won't find such a cover because they consider it unmanly to show a male hero look like that, but they think it's more realistic to show a female hero like that.

I agree. I can't think of one instance of a male being put in that position.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dar...l%3B1988%3B3056

Not one. evil face

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 09:37 PM
krisblaze

Hell, Dick got raped...

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 09:38 PM