KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » concerning digital filming

concerning digital filming
Started by: cornponious

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cornponious
Kuntrious Kokious Maximus

concerning digital filming

Lucas is filming EIII digitally. Everyone knows that.

Movies are being pirated at a massive rate on the internet. Everyone knows that.

Has anyone given any thought to the fact that when EIII is "in the can", it would be extremely easy for a less than scrupulous person in close proximity to Lucas to copy and distribute this "film"?

Not only that, but since it's already digital, it would be an exact copy, high resolution and all, of the original.

Pirated movies as they are today are usually lower quality than what you see in theaters because they were either shot with a camcorder (really bad quality) or recorded from telecine (not too bad quality).

I'm not endorsing movie piracy, i'm just wondering if this is being given any serious thought. I mean, i know it has to be a consideration, but any encryption they could put on the video file(s) can be cracked.

I guess i'm just anxious to see what happens when the movie is completed (or close to completed).

cornponious

Old Post Jan 27th, 2004 05:06 PM
Click here to Send cornponious a Private Message Find more posts by cornponious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

If I'm not mistaken this was pulled by someone with AOTC already, no?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2004 06:24 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lyn
Jedi_Chick

This may be a little off topic, so, sorry but I don't really understand the whole digital filming thing. What's the difference??

Thanks Ben-Kenobi for the Sig!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 09:34 AM
Click here to Send Lyn a Private Message Find more posts by Lyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VengeanceGOD

Filming digitally uses a different type of camera. If you were filming with, well, film, you'd have an actual spool of film like you usually see. (Like they use in that scene in Fight Club.) In Digital film, there's a tape-like thing, looks kinda like a mini-vcr tape, in the camera. What's filmed is then recorded as digital information.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 10:19 AM
Click here to Send VengeanceGOD a Private Message Find more posts by VengeanceGOD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cornponious

And, as I understand it, EpIII will not be transferred to filmstock, meaning any theater that wants to show the movie will have to install an industrial grade DLP projector. Which will set them back approximately $250,000.

DLP is great though. Digital Light Processor. You've got a little chip, called a DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) that has 1,000,000 microscopic mirrors on it, and each one is on a hinge. Each mirror represents a pixel.

A light source shines on the DMD. If a mirror is pointed one way, it shines light through a color filter (in an expensive DLP projector, there are 3 DMD's, and 3 color filters of the 3 primary colors) and then out through the lens and onto the screen. If the mirror is pointed the other way, light is reflected onto a light absorbing material, which would represent "black" on the screen. If the mirror is vibrating back and forth, this would represent a shade of gray.

That's all there is to it. It's very interesting technology.

cornponious

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 12:42 PM
Click here to Send cornponious a Private Message Find more posts by cornponious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

so it would be easier to add special affects using comp.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 04:18 PM
Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The One Part 2

quote:
Originally posted by cornponious
And, as I understand it, EpIII will not be transferred to filmstock, meaning any theater that wants to show the movie will have to install an industrial grade DLP projector. Which will set them back approximately $250,000.

cornponious

That is false. Remember the flack Lucas caught with refusing to show Episode I in any theatre without Dolby Digital or DTS? Even fewer theatres have digital projectors. There is no way he would limit his release in that way. Besides, the backlash isn't something he wants.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 06:45 PM
Click here to Send The One Part 2 a Private Message Find more posts by The One Part 2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Yeah, that is very false.

There are a very limited amount of Digital theaters.

All digital films get transferred to film stock, that's how Lucas will make money, by showing the movie in as many theaters as possible. Once Digital theaters are commonplace, that's when Digital films won't be transferred to reels.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 07:14 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cornponious

Hey, i'm just saying that's the last thing I read. It was quite some time ago. Lucas originally intended to release EPII purely digital, but there were so many theaters that didn't have digital projectors that he gave in and backed off that plan. But what I read is that Lucas sent out word that if any theater wanted to show EPIII, they HAD to install a digital projector, or they wouldn't get the movie. That's just what I saw in print.

You can believe it or not.

cornponious

Old Post Jan 29th, 2004 03:40 AM
Lyn
Jedi_Chick

quote:
Originally posted by VengeanceGOD
Filming digitally uses a different type of camera. If you were filming with, well, film, you'd have an actual spool of film like you usually see. (Like they use in that scene in Fight Club.) In Digital film, there's a tape-like thing, looks kinda like a mini-vcr tape, in the camera. What's filmed is then recorded as digital information.

Oh, alright. I think I understand a little better now. Thank you. happy

Thanks Ben-Kenobi for the Sig!

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 04:03 AM
Click here to Send Lyn a Private Message Find more posts by Lyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr.Deflok

If someone intercepted the satelite download of the Ep3 broadcast sure, but who the heck wants to download a 700 million GB file? (might be an exagerration)

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 05:19 AM
Click here to Send Mr.Deflok a Private Message Find more posts by Mr.Deflok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cornponious

I think the file is actually about 3-4 GB.

Not bad wink

cornponious

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 11:37 AM