KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » TV Show Canonicity

TV Show Canonicity
Started by: S_D_J

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Hazardous

God I hope its non-canon. Some parts are relevant, but 'Stinky the Hutt'.....for goodness sake, they really let it down with that one. no expression

[edit] Oh thank god, his name is Rotta.

Last edited by Hazardous on Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 10:35 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I hope it's EU too.

Wow... an official warning. DK, you messed with the wrong forum now. evil face

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 01:41 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
You and not argue about anything? laughing out loud

Then do please point out to me where I was arguing with anyone?

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 06:47 PM
Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Even if the show is deemed to not be Canonical by Lucas wont it still have its own semi-canonicity on these boards in its own discussion area?

(I don't recall anyone debating the establishment of Canon on the boards in order to control disscussion)

On that note, is there a place where the TV show could inhabit if it is not quite EU but isn't quite canon...that is if Lucas decides to leave it as a grey area until he can gague public opinion on it?

Last edited by Grand-Moff-Gav on Aug 13th, 2008 at 06:52 PM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 06:50 PM
Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

If GL deems it non-canonical in that way then it will be treated more or less like the EU area.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 07:22 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Devil King
Then do please point out to me where I was arguing with anyone?

No takers?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2008 01:08 AM
Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Sure it does. It really does work just like that.

If the George Lucas "canon" is there to settle arguments between the fans, then the fans are kind of silly. I seriously doubt that is what GL thinks about when he greenlight's his company to call something canon or not. He wants to call certain things canon because he want's his legacy as the creator to be remembered exactly as he wants it to be remembered. Well, even the creator of this universe isnt always qualified to dictate his own terms. If the decree of George Lucas is all you need to swallow that hard, sharp pill, then you're clearly free to feel that way. To say otherise would be a contradiction to my point.

Sounds pretty argumentative to me. But of course now you will stoop to the semantics of the definition of the word "argument" and be argumentative about that.

Besides, you're argumentative challenges are off topic. So stop it.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2008 10:20 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

If your only response is to tell me that I'll say I wasn't arguing, then you likely realize I wasn't arguing. I never said Lucas "canon" had to be done away with; I said it was up to the individual fan to decide for themselves, in a thread about canonicity.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Aug 14th, 2008 08:17 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think anyone cares about canon in their mind, only Lucas'.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2008 09:02 PM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

We care because it structures the debates on the forums.

If your only response is to tell me that I'll say I wasn't arguing, then you likely realize I wasn't arguing. I never said Lucas "canon" had to be done away with; I said it was up to the individual fan to decide for themselves, in a thread about canonicity.

Which is an argument again. It's second nature to you, DK.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2008 11:08 AM
S_D_J
Bane

After watching The Clone Wars, I think it fits better within the EU area, it follows other EU materials such as CN Clone Wars and other novels (Ventress' revenge, Arc Troppers... Obi Wan's and Anakin's clone outfits..), and of course the character of Ahsoka (I love the character), which is the one that poses the biggest problem

The Live-action TV-Show on the other hand, that seems more likely to get canon status... IMO

It would be nice to get an official statement... so far we can only continue to speculate...

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 06:05 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by queeq
We care because it structures the debates on the forums.

Which is an argument again. It's second nature to you, DK.

Let me see if I can refresh your memory with a quick run down of the thread:

Is the Clone Wars series canon?

Most people: That's up to George Lucas! Lucas is the law!

DK: You know, if you guys don't want it to be canon in your own SW universe, it doesn't have to be!

Q: LIES! If Lucas says so it is Canon!

DK: Yeah, I get canon, it's there for Mr. Lucas to say with certainty what he wants his story to be remembered as, but that doesn't mean that everyone in the world has to have the same canon. It's really up to the individual.

Q, et al: Lies! We can't debate STAW WARS unless there's canon! That's why it exists! You're changing the definition of the word.

DK: Yeah, if you think Lucas is sitting around trying to think of ways to keep SW debate amongst the fans civil, you're crazy. If you are the one spending your money on SW, then you can decide what's canon or not. And if you want to debate SW with other people, then I guess canon is there, but I don't really debate SW with others because I enjoy it for me and don't need anyone else to tell me what to enjoy or not to enjoy about it. I'm not changing any definition, I'm simply saying canon for one person doesn't have to be canon to another. The definition doesn't change, only the circumstances.

Q, et al: Lies! We'll see what Ush has to say about this!

DK: No, I don't think you understand me, it doesn't matter what Ush says is canon. I get to decide, just like all of you (remembering I've already said you can argue and debate all you like and that canon was there if that's what you chose to do)

U: Threaten, you're stupid, etc.

Q: Ha! Told you DK!

DK: Yeah, it doesn't really change my opinion. Besides, I've already said that my opinion is mine and yours is yours. You can follow what Lucas says if you like, I choose not to.

Q: God, all you do is argue. None of my responses to you have been off topic, despite me constantly saying yours to me are off topic.

The only thing resembling an argument is when I disagreed with you on why SW Canon exists.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 07:57 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

DK, this is a final warning for you to stop arguing with the moderators- I don't care what your opinion on whether you ar arguing or not is. Stop it now.

Just to re-iterate- canon refers to an OFFICIAL collection of something. There is no such thing as canon depending on your opinion- there is just opinion on what you do or do not like. But canon still exists regardless, separate from anyone's opinion on the matter. I cannot help it if you are simply wrong about the meaning of the word.

I will close this thread if it cannot stick to the point, and after these warnings I will ban people that keep trying to argue about this. Our position on such canon debates is extremely clear.

I will ban you if you carry this on, DK.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 08:30 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

End of the line, DK.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 08:31 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ushgarak
DK, this is a final warning for you to stop arguing with the moderators- I don't care what your opinion on whether you ar arguing or not is. Stop it now.

Just to re-iterate- canon refers to an OFFICIAL collection of something. There is no such thing as canon depending on your opinion- there is just opinion on what you do or do not like. But canon still exists regardless, separate from anyone's opinion on the matter. I cannot help it if you are simply wrong about the meaning of the word.

I will close this thread if it cannot stick to the point, and after these warnings I will ban people that keep trying to argue about this. Our position on such canon debates is extremely clear.

I will ban you if you carry this on, DK.

Ah, but you're still threatening me as though I'm arguing canon. I'm not. I never have been. I'm saying it is within the right of the average consumer to decide for themselves what is or is not canon for them, and you're all acting like I'm telling you guys what to think. On top of that, I'm not arguing with moderators, I'm conversing with other Star Wars fans. That Queeq is a moderator doesn't influence the conversation.

You feel free to ban me, though. That's your job. However, I don't understand how you could look at quotes like:

quote:
End of the line, DK.

quote:
Wow... an official warning. DK, you messed with the wrong forum now. :evilgrin:

as anything other than a challenge. A challenge you yourself would not back down from. Perhaps that is how it works here. Or maybe Queeq's balls have dropped off and he can't ban me himself so he'll keep challenging and insulting me into contesting his position until he can talk you into doing it for him.

Last edited by Devil King on Aug 17th, 2008 at 02:35 AM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 02:32 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Sigh... some people simply don't learn...

BtVS

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 10:45 AM
queeq
Chaos

as anything other than a challenge. A challenge you yourself would not back down from. Perhaps that is how it works here. Or maybe Queeq's balls have dropped off and he can't ban me himself so he'll keep challenging and insulting me into contesting his position until he can talk you into doing it for him.

Nope he doesn't learn. It's not like modding is only about banning peeps. If that was it was all about, DK, you'd have been a goner ages ago.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 11:50 AM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

you could have simply reiterated the annoying mess that EU fanboys create when there is no law of cannon. i think thats the most understandable point of the rule and the very reason why it is so strictly enforced. instead you guys did the stonewall/bait&challenge bit. in the end you all look kinda silly.

just my 2 cents

later

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Last edited by Schecter on Aug 17th, 2008 at 02:41 PM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 02:38 PM
Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Good Lord, what is this great loss in common sense lately? Coming in and spamming with criticism of the mods like that after a decision is harsly appropiate, Schecter. That's an official warning for you as well.

Canon policy on these boards has been made clear and will not be argued or debated. Stonewalling is indeed what you will get if you try- a complete shut down of any attempt to debate it. If you want reasons, just look at the noted threads about canon which contain all the reasons we use, and do not intend to discuss.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 04:32 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

funny since i did not insult anyone or try to perpetuate the argument. simply stated an opinion on how the last 2 pages could have been better avoided. yet you lash out with hostility and official warnings and reprimand me like im a child, acusing me of spamming (?) and criticising a decision when i clearly did not.

have your last word or even ban be, but i will not dignify this blatant hostility and baiting any further.

later

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Last edited by Schecter on Aug 17th, 2008 at 05:00 PM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 04:47 PM
Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote