KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » The Clone Wars - reviews

The Clone Wars - reviews
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Keep the books author discussion elsewhere, folks.

Oh, and saying tjhe cgi is poor in this film is just plain blind.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 10:21 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I will just say that Zahn is far from being a blight. Much worse has happened in the Expanded Universe. His Thrawn trilogy is, at least, enjoyable to read and not a horrible pain like NJO or LOTF.

Anyways.

Still need to see this, but I'm glad to see that the fans are enjoying it. There is the obvious problem of 'no threat to characters' as far as Kenobi and Skywalker are concerned... but we already knew their fates when we watched PT (having seen OT long before).

I hope there are some newer characters introduced in the series that we can actually be concerned for. Ahsoka is a start, but, as people have said, there are very few places she can end up.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 11:01 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

One thing i did find puzzling though, was Yoda and ObiWan's dialogue about Ahsoka, something along the lines of "the hardest thing Anakin will have to face is to learn to let go of her"...makes me think, maybe Ahsoka is just a temporary trial, just another lesson...

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 05:51 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think they were referring to the fact that Masters tend to grow an attachment to their Padawans, and as we've all seen, Anakin tends to have separation anxiety problems...

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 06:37 PM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Just a bit.

Well, I certainly enjoyed the movie a lot; my little siblings absolutely loved it. It definitely was better than I was expecting.

I still don't like the CGI style, but it was certainly well-done, and I did like how they paired it with painted-looking backgrounds; made for some really neat visuals. I liked Ahsoka, she was definitely very funny, and I did not have an issue with her brief fight with Ventress - all she did was manage to keep from getting hit for like five seconds. I also did not have a problem with the music, though it was different from that of the regular movies (then again, so is EVERYTHING about this movie), and I really liked in particular the music during the Tatooine scenes.

Yes, it was a silly movie, but you know what? I was expecting worse and hoping that it wasn't going to be as bad as I originally thought. So I'm happy with it.

Also, my little sister is in love with Ahsoka. I think she wants to be her for Halloween now...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 07:40 PM
Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Cool.

I'll try to see it next week with my kids, it opens next week.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 08:33 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's very good for the kids actually.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 08:34 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Yeah, definitely.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 08:39 PM
Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Except for the part where that clone get beheaded and blood flies everywhere.

I don't see how that can even be allowed in a PG movie.

.. ...

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 10:19 PM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Zero the hut made me respect Jar Jar Binks.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 12:53 AM
Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

I found less violence in this movie than other PG films... but that's just the way I see it.

Stinky the Hutt

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kapton JAC

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 12:59 AM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kapton JAC

But seriously... what teh **** was up with that dude?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 03:16 AM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Well I just got back from seeing it. Here's my review.

To say the least, there were parts of it I really enjoyed, and parts that I thought weren't very up to Star Wars standards, but for the most part the goods outweighed the bads.

To begin with, the animations were terrific. From the very opening shot of the ships flying through space, I had big smile on my face. However, I was dissapointed with the absence of a scroll, but I assumed there wouldn't be one anyway. The music was also very untraditional. Was it terrible? Not really, but it certainly wasn't John Williams quality either.
Jabba's son....that was very questionable. It served well for the film's main story, but the crying thing....just a bit too silly. But I didn't really let it get to me. It's Star Wars, and it's supposed to be silly.

Here's the thing with the Clone Wars though. Even though overall I liked the movie, I'm not sure that releasing it in the theaters was the best idea. When you think of Star Wars on the big screen, you think of the Fox 20th Century Fan Fare, the opening scroll, the John Williams music. The whole narration thing at the opening felt very awkward, but it's easy to forget about it and just move on. I think however, this would have made a fabulous friday night special on TV, the official kick off to the series. So it's not to say that the Clone Wars was bad, I just think it would have been even more enjoyable watching it at home.

The biggest major problem overall is that this film wasn't intended as a full length movie, and to be honest, it shows. It really felt like 3 shorts merged together which I assume they probably did. Not that it was bad or anything.

The good news is, this kicks off what could potentially be a very fun TV series later this fall.

Final verdict: Star Wars the Clone Wars isn't as rich as the live action prequels themsevles, but it wasn't a trainwreck either. I left the theater satisfied, and ready to see more later this year.

I like George.

Last edited by Sith Master X on Aug 17th, 2008 at 04:25 AM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 04:22 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Good review, SMX!

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 11:52 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

I'm seeing again today, with my GF... let's see how it fares on a second viewing

Old Post Aug 18th, 2008 04:44 PM
queeq
Chaos

Hope to read about it.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2008 07:41 PM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Second viewings are normally 10 times better than the first.

Walking into a Star Wars movie for the second time, you now know what to expect, unlike the first time, when what you're seeing and what you thought you would see constantly clash and makes the movie seem less enjoyable.

I just think you can appreciate things more the second time around. You pick up on things you missed, you notice more details, and since you know what you're in for, you can just relax and have fun with it.

I had this very same problem with Attack of the Clones back in May of 2002. My expectations were sky high, and I felt a little dissapointed after I first saw the movie. It wasn't the movie that I had pictured in my head before it came out. But after I had enough time to absorb everything, I went back and saw it a 2nd and 3rd time. The second time I liked it alot more, and by the 3rd viewing, I fell in love with it.

I like George.

Last edited by Sith Master X on Aug 18th, 2008 at 08:53 PM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2008 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by Sith Master X

Walking into a Star Wars movie for the second time, you now know what to expect, unlike the first time, when what you're seeing and what you thought you would see constantly clash and makes the movie seem less enjoyable.

I just think you can appreciate things more the second time around. You pick up on things you missed, you notice more details, and since you know what you're in for, you can just relax and have fun with it.

I had this very same problem with Attack of the Clones back in May of 2002. My expectations were sky high, and I felt a little dissapointed after I first saw the movie. It wasn't the movie that I had pictured in my head before it came out. But after I had enough time to absorb everything, I went back and saw it a 2nd and 3rd time. The second time I liked it alot more, and by the 3rd viewing, I fell in love with it.

Exactly, that was just exactly how I felt.

I actually enjoyed it more than the first time.
When I saw it on Wednesday, It felt a bit awkward, like somethings felt out of place (the rock tunes for instance), but not this time.
I knew exactly what to look for, and when to ignore somethings. I didn't missed the scroll, the opening sequence felt more in place than it did the first time (like a tv-show). I just focused and enjoy all the action (and it's choke-full of it), completely ignore things that bothered me (I simply laughed at how silly Ziro is, and didn't mind him at all) and the rock music, it was no longer shocking (nor completely out of place, sounded like Metallica sampling John Williams tunes) and it doesn't last long, you barely hear it (twice), and for like 20 seconds.
so, yeah. It is much more enjoyable the second time around. No more expectations, just taking what's good and ignoring the rest.

Can't say the same for my girlfriend though. At first she didn't like the animation, though it was ok later. By the time they got to Tatooine she was completely bored, and kept asking me "is it over yet?" laughing
She told me it was ok, but didn't felt it was a movie. The biggest problem she had, and to my surprise, the reason she didn't like it, were:
-"wtf?, Jabba's baby?"
- "what the hell's up with that red girl, Anakin wasn't a master, why would he have a padawan?"
and then she said: "that Lucas dude only wanted to cash-in on this"

laughing

Old Post Aug 18th, 2008 10:28 PM
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
But seriously... what teh **** was up with that dude?
He sounded like a gay, cajun Joe Pesci, as I stated in another thread. laughing

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Aug 19th, 2008 02:44 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Sith Master X

AOTC just got worse everytime I saw it. Such a pointless film.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2008 09:46 AM